Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Drain for potable water tank

I do know that each unit can/will be different, but I would like some help with this one on an '06 FR Grand Surveyor GS291: I cannot seem to find the drain for the potable water tank. I did find two plastic lines underneath the unit, behind the rear axle on the drivers side. I took the cap off of one, nothing happened until I turned on the potable water hose. The other drained some warm water and I had ran the water heater to check it out. The potable water tank if full, that I know. Is the only way to drain it to run cold water from the faucets using the 12 VDC pump? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
There has to be a drain under the trailer. It may look like a small plastic faucet, white in color. Often located near the water fill for the water tank.

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
It might not be a valid comparison, but I just found the drain on my 02 Georgetown (we've had it 12 months now). Under the bedroom wardrobes is an area that is blocked off when the bedroom slide is closed. There are two cupboard doors down there that are placarded "Not for Storage" and couldn't be opened.

While trouble-shooting a problem with the TV cable hook-up, I took a closer look at those doors and found they were held closed by woodscrews through the door into the frame. After taking the screws out, I found that the doors wer openable and that the electrical distribution system is in one half of the cabinet and the potable water tank occupies the other half.

Surprise - there's a hand valve on the potable plumbing that drains the tank! Prior to finding this, I was running the water pump through the kitchen sink faucets until it quit pumping, then I'd drive to our nearby dump station to empty the tank.

Because we have such good quality city water at home (one of the top 5 nationally) we like to take a full tank with us. Occasionally we've had to supplement with camground water just to cover the requirements for last night out or the trip home.

We've picked up some pretty scuzzy stuff! Now I know how to dump that stuff for a high quality refill.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Thanks for the info "dimurrrw", I did find the white plastic faucet behind the rear axle on the entrance side. And I do mean "little". It barely sticks through the underfloor and was coated with that gooey black sealant. Now it works and I was able to drain the tank. No idea how long that water may have been in there as the PO stated they had never used it. A good treatment is in the works whether I find I will need it or not. Thanks again, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote