Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,205
Fried my microwave

Me again: Yep, literally fried the microwave in my TT. Went to a campsite this last weekend where they have recently "upgraded" all their electrical hook-ups. This means that all hook-ups are now 120v/30/50 amps. One RV 120v/30 amp receptacle, one RV 120v/50 receptacle, and one regular 120v/20 amp duplex receptacle in each box. When I connected to shore power I went into the unit to check things. The microwave was smoking, fortunately I had turned the fridge "OFF". I ran back out to unplug the shore power cord. I got my volt-meter and checked the outlets--everything was 220 volt electricity. I got the "on site" manager who knew as much about this as my five year old g'son does. I checked the space next to mine and all was correct so I moved over. The owner of this place came over, looked at the box and agreed it was all 220 volt. BUT- he will not accept any blame for my microwave, he told me that "I should have checked before hooking up". Now I can't go to every campground I visit and check the electrical box each time I go out. But maybe it's a good idea now. O.K., so I lost the microwave, the fridge is fine, all outlet's work fine, but the interior lamps are not very bright anymore. I'm wondering if I have damaged the "inverter/converter" that charges the 12v DC batteries now. So, what does this thing look like and where might I find it? Thanks, David
__________________

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Converter most likely compromised. Although you shouldn't have an inverter unless you installed it.
That being said I would think they are liable.
Also I find it hard to believe one site to have 120 and another to have 240v
they all would have to be one way or another. Unless each and every campsite is wired individually to a breaker panel which I doubt.
Anyone else have an idea?
__________________

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I'm wondering if I have damaged the "inverter/converter" that charges the 12v DC batteries now. So, what does this thing look like and where might I find it? Thanks, David
Maybe beneath the fridge? Locate your breakers and fuses.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. To bad the CG isn't taking responsibility. At least, as you said, it didn't damage the fridge.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iron River, MI
Posts: 386
I'm "guessing" if everything else is working normally you are OK...I hope. I always check, using a polarity tester, before I plug-in but now I'm wondering if the tester will show all is not well, ie, 220 volt instead of 110 volt.

Waiting for the "sparkies" response.
__________________
"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,205
I know the company who wired this campground within the last six months or so. I contacted someone I know who works for them, he had the electrician who was "responsible" for the new wiring call me. It seems that they ran a 220v circuit around the campground with all new boxes and split this with one leg for the 120v/30 amp, and one leg for the 120v/50 amp RV connections with a breaker for each connection. The 120v duplex was drawn off the 30 amp leg. But as we know, there are "helpers" or "apprentices" on these jobs and this may have been the problem. I'd love to know what they found when they opened this particular box. I'm betting both legs wired to the RV receptacles, therefore 220v. "Converter/inverter", I'm learning. My concern is the box that charges the battery. Yes, the circuit breakers and fuses are under the fridge. I will check all of these out now. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 313
One correction to make would be the 50 amp plug would be 240Vac across the 2 hot legs 120Vac on each leg to neutral. And you are correct the 30 amp is 120Vac. Sounds like someone made a mistake and wired the 30 amp as a 240Vac. Every power ped that offers 50 amp service would have 240Vac wired to them then split the hot legs according.
__________________
~Andrew
99 F250 Super Cab Short Bed 7.3 Powerstroke
84 24' Yellowstone Camino (oldie)

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
clarkgriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11
I've heard these type of stories before and although I never use to check the peds, I now use a Progressive surge protector. It's not the 'expensive' model but it provides verification of proper voltage, polarity, open ground, open neutral, and surge protection. Sorry for your experience. As far as the converter, it's only a guess but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you didn't at least damage the converter since it is was 'seeing' 240VAC to neutral. .....if I read your post correctly.
__________________
Cindy and Mike
Chattanooga, TN
Our RV Blog
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,426
The campground owner is liable if you care to sue.
Also check your insurance. You are probably covered and I believe
your power center converter is toast.
Also don't be afraid to name names.
If the guy realizes he's about to get a real bad reputation online it might
change his mind.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
What is the campground name, and the name of the owner?
Everyone should be aware of jerks like this.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Member
 
frankm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I've heard these type of stories before and although I never use to check the peds, I now use a Progressive surge protector. It's not the 'expensive' model but it provides verification of proper voltage, polarity, open ground, open neutral, and surge protection. Sorry for your experience. As far as the converter, it's only a guess but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you didn't at least damage the converter since it is was 'seeing' 240VAC to neutral. .....if I read your post correctly.
x10!!

Just because the CG power pedestal tests ok just before you plug in doesn't mean it will stay that way. This recent thread illustrates what can happen when the unexpected happens. Having a surge protector pays.
__________________
Frank & Rita M
2016 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost
2017 Rockwood 2703WS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,949
I've never had a power surge with any of my trailers but have been considering it for awhile and plan to get one this winter. Just haven't decided if I need more than a surge protector.

I'm looking at the EMS-PT30C, which RVupgrades has for $257 or the SSP-30 surge protector for about $100.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Me again: Yep, literally fried the microwave in my TT. Went to a campsite this last weekend where they have recently "upgraded" all their electrical hook-ups. This means that all hook-ups are now 120v/30/50 amps. One RV 120v/30 amp receptacle, one RV 120v/50 receptacle, and one regular 120v/20 amp duplex receptacle in each box. When I connected to shore power I went into the unit to check things. The microwave was smoking, fortunately I had turned the fridge "OFF". I ran back out to unplug the shore power cord. I got my volt-meter and checked the outlets--everything was 220 volt electricity. I got the "on site" manager who knew as much about this as my five year old g'son does. I checked the space next to mine and all was correct so I moved over. The owner of this place came over, looked at the box and agreed it was all 220 volt. BUT- he will not accept any blame for my microwave, he told me that "I should have checked before hooking up". Now I can't go to every campground I visit and check the electrical box each time I go out. But maybe it's a good idea now. O.K., so I lost the microwave, the fridge is fine, all outlet's work fine, but the interior lamps are not very bright anymore. I'm wondering if I have damaged the "inverter/converter" that charges the 12v DC batteries now. So, what does this thing look like and where might I find it? Thanks, David
What CG is this? I want to make sure I don't go there.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,280
Not to hijack this thread too much, but would a polarity tester show this kind of problem ?? I am thinking so if the 2nd 120 volt leg was connected to the neutral spade.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,536
different outlets are used for the different voltages and amperage. if they had a 30 amp outlet wired 220, they should pay.
ie the type outlet should tell u what to expect. a 50 amp 110 will be different also.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,205
Well I'll be !!! I get a call this morning from the electrical contracting company that put in the wiring at this CG. Now remember, they did not terminate the outlets in the pedestal's, just pulled the underground wiring. The are giving me $100 to cover the cost of a new microwave and I have to agree to hold them harmless on any other damage. Fair enough to me considering they did not wire the pedestal. As stated, this CG is owned by a City, and they are not even acknowledging that this happened. A few phone calls to people I know who work for this City leads me to believe this wiring was done by people sentenced to "community service" by the court system for misdemeanor violations in lieu of jail time. This is where the park gets it's clean-up people, lawn mowing people, etc. Lord help us.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,280
Make sure you can replace your microwave for $100, and that nothing else was damaged before you agree to those terms.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
If your converter is fried then it will cost you about $200 or so just for that
I would make sure everything that is replaced can be covered by the $100.

I use a Voltage tester that I plug into the pole prior to plugging in my camper just to prevent this from happening.
__________________

__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.


×