Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

Replacing tub with shower pan

Hmm, I seem to be the only one asking questions here lately, but that's fine. O.K., in my '06 FR/GS there is the normal (?) tub unit with a shower head/hose. I am 5' 9'' tall and if I stand in the tub my head hits the exhaust fan unit. NOT going to work for me. This tub unit is built up 10" from the floor, meaning the bottom of the tub itself is 10" above floor level. Has anyone removed their tub unit and replaced it with a shower pan unit? Or has anyone made their own shower pan unit from some material so the floor level of the shower pan is lower than this tub of mine? I have said I will wear my swimsuit and use the outside shower if necessary but family members tell me not to do this, it would be terrible looking to others. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

While you have a great idea, and I understand what you are wanting to to do, I hate to tell you it won't work. If you have an access panel on the front of the tub, remove it, get a flashlight and look. You will find the tub is raised to allow for drains, plumbing, and maybe electrical. In order for the drains and plumbing not to freeze in cold weather, it has to above the floor, in the heated area. You might be able to lower it a little, just have to look and see. Most tubs set on a wooden platform, to keep them above all the stuff under them. Take a look through the access opening and see.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

"windrider" I do appreciate the response and I do understand every word in your response. As far as the "freezing in cold weather", I could only wish. I'm down in S.W. Ga. and cannot remember the last time we had exterior, exposed piping freeze. Any, at all. We do need some cold weather every now and then. My background is-well, extensive in this type of work and after retiring I have a "HandyMan" business where I have taken out complete baths due to wood floor rot and bring them back up to the homeowner's specs. One thing people who know me will say: IF he is hell-bent on doing it--move out of his way, he'll finish it. I believe I do understand there needs to be room for plumbing lines, etc. I may just seek a shower pan with "close approximate dimensions", tear out my tub unit, stand back and punt, then have what I want. If I take this on I will share photos along the way. IF it doesn't work: There's still the outside shower unit, even in our winters. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are handy, and and maybe it can be done, just will take a while. Make sure you have clearance under the floor, no tanks in the way, to move the traps and drain lines lower. Also make sure your drain will still be downhill, and the shower will drain in the gray tank. Good luck, take pics, will be interesting I'm sure.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Git er done!
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #6

I had the same idea with my trailer, but like your self I cannot do it because like windrider said there IS plumbing, drains etc under your tub. Because- the drains are not under the trailer they are above the floor in the trailer. Just like under the sink. In my case there is a piece of flimsy 1/8 plywood with a couple of 1x6 supports to support the tub so of course with all of us showering in the tub it cracked. So now I too am in the process of fixing this problem. I have to rip out the side wall that the access panel is on and do my repair. I am going use real supports and fix my crack, then replace the panel and caulk it all back in. In your case unless you wanted to re-route your entire bathroom drain and piping ( which could be done) you might be stuck with your head bender type tub like mine hope this helps....
sprayking is offline   Reply With Quote