Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

Question Slide out motor access

I own a 2006 Grand Surveyor #265 RK. Can someone tell me where the slide out motor is, and how to access it?

Thanks.
Jeff Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #2

not sure about yours.............. but my rig has the corragated plastic underbelly and I had to remove a section to get to the motor. once I found it I cut an access pannel in the underbelly for access in case the motor ever fails on me and I need to manually operate the slide using my cordless drill
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Another shot in the dark...

On my Rockwood 5th wheel the emergency manual crank opening is under the entrance door. You have to lower the steps to get at it. It is also covered in black tape.

Good luck!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Mine is accessed by removing a carpeted panel at the dinette. The screws are hidden in the carpet. Yours has the sofa and dinette in the slide so I don't know if it's the same.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Doesn't seem to be accessible from inside the trailer, so I got to the motor by cutting a panel through the corrugated underbelly as Greg suggested. The factory installed a rod off of the screw shaft intended for such emergencies. It extends through the frame but there is no apparent way to get at it from outside, inside, nor underneath. I think the design engineers need to begin communicating with each other.
Jeff Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

After crawling all under the GS291 unit I just acquired this last weekend, and finding noting but that solid black piece under the slide, I got nosy. While looking over everything inside I noticed that there was no storage under the jack-knife couch, thinking "what a waste of space". I found that the panel under the couch seating area was held on by two screw, up high on each end. After removing these screws I found the drive mechanism for the slide. I didn't need to be under the unit out in the heat. I can work in it from inside in the A/C.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

An update: I did investigate the slide unit on my '06 FR GS291 today. The drive motor is under the couch as well as the manual over-ride, which requires a 3/4" socket and ratchet to move the slide from under the couch. My problem with the slide starting out at the front end, hesitating at the rear end and then jumping was very easy to find. The rear bracket which has the leveling device made into it with two (2) brass rollers for the slide to roll out/in on was in sad shape. The adjustment was all they way "in" so the rollers were not even touching the floor of the slide, which brings us to this point. This slide unit is designed (and I use that term loosely) so the wooden floor of the slide rolls on these brass rollers. Two at the front and two at the rear. It appears that at some point the rear rollers has stopped rolling and tore into the wooden floor of the slide. This wooden floor is covered by some ridiculous fabric material which came apart and was imbedded in the rollers. Therefore when the slide was operated the rollers just dug into the wooden floor, leaving two ruts about 1" wide each. I had to remove the rear bracket, get the rollers freed up so they would turn as easy as the front ones. Tomorrow I will patch up the gouged out floor bottom, then install two pieces of 16 ga. metal on the floor bottom. This is what the rollers will contact now and not dig into the wood of the slide bottom. I believe this is a "Lippert" slide system, and lacks a lot to be desired as far as ingenuity.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

How did you remove the back rollers? I have the same problem.
Shellback67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #9

I wound up removing both the front and rear roller assemblies. They were not easy at all. I did "jack" the slide room up from the outside both front and rear and braced it while I was working on it. This did give me a bit more room inside to reach the slide roller assemblies. The main problem is that there are four (4) screws with go in from the top, these go into the actual siding of the camper unit and I figured they must have been put in before the slide room was placed into position. After I got them out I removed the pin holding the two rollers onto each assembly, cleaned everything up really well, lubricated the roller pin and the hole in the roller, put it all back together and it's a lot better. It's not the easiest task I've ever done, but well worth the time taken to do it.

Tags
grand surveyor