Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

19 RR Sofa

I purchased a 19RR last year and the one thing I'd really like to "fix" is the sofa that came with mine. Every time we will have to set up camp or take down camp we will have to carry the large cushion up to the front bed. Additionally, the sofa has arms on each end which makes "doubling as a bed" near impossible for an adult that might occasionally join us.

I've see couches before where the back of the couch actually folds over and extends the length to double as a bed. I'd sure like to swap out for a contraption like that. Anyone else have any mods or replacements in the couch area? I'm looking for ideas at this point.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

The rear couches are crap. The folding arms are only held on with hinges which can be removed by taking out two wood screws. That might help. Unless you are Billy Barty, not much room for an adult to sleep on one of those couches. Why they didn't make them 6" longer is a mystery.

Regarding the cushions, that's just something you'll have to deal with. I throw mine in the front bed during travel. Not a big deal.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

I looked at the length of the couch when I bought mine to see if any other models had a longer couch. I couldn't come up with anything. They could have easily made it 6" longer or more and still fit it in the space available. I love my new 19RR but there are several design flaws that bother me. The gray water tank drain should have been placed on the tongue side. This would have eliminated the 180 degree turn and about 3ft of pipe. The drawers on the kitchen cabinet could have been designed better and easily fit 3 drawers instead of 2. The sink cabinet could have been extended towards the coach door for more counter space and storage. The coach door blocks 1/2 of the small kitchen window when the door is open along with the fact that the kitchen window dosen't open. All small things that would improve the overall unit.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I looked at the length of the couch when I bought mine to see if any other models had a longer couch. I couldn't come up with anything. They could have easily made it 6" longer or more and still fit it in the space available. I love my new 19RR but there are several design flaws that bother me. The gray water tank drain should have been placed on the tongue side. This would have eliminated the 180 degree turn and about 3ft of pipe. The drawers on the kitchen cabinet could have been designed better and easily fit 3 drawers instead of 2. The sink cabinet could have been extended towards the coach door for more counter space and storage. The coach door blocks 1/2 of the small kitchen window when the door is open along with the fact that the kitchen window dosen't open. All small things that would improve the overall unit.
I just bought a 25RR, and I feel the same way, its all little things, but stuff that makes you go "WHY???". Like the bathroom, last years model had a nice counter next to the sink, to set stuff on, 2012, they cut it off, just empty wall space?????? Our couches are comfy, but the arm rests won't last long the way they are hinged, I've already redone one couch, seemed like a 7 year old screwed the hinges on??? Its our first toyhauler, and only plan on owning it a few years, I'll do my best to deal with the little things, I do Know it beats sleeping in a tent, lol
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this couch to make it more useful for sleeping quarters. I did see a photo in another thread of a couch folded up with the cushion strapped in on the outside...meaning they didn't carry it all the way up to the bedroom each time. Maybe I'll look into that too. I'm also wondering why the table feels like it is 400 lbs. when everything else is light weight.

Overall I like it. Its (meaning the camper itself) the perfect size for us and as long as the frame holds up we might hold on to it for awhile barring any more grapefruit sized hail storms coming through (which took out the last one).
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
I just bought a 25RR, and I feel the same way, its all little things, but stuff that makes you go "WHY???". Like the bathroom, last years model had a nice counter next to the sink, to set stuff on, 2012, they cut it off, just empty wall space?????? Our couches are comfy, but the arm rests won't last long the way they are hinged, I've already redone one couch, seemed like a 7 year old screwed the hinges on??? Its our first toyhauler, and only plan on owning it a few years, I'll do my best to deal with the little things, I do Know it beats sleeping in a tent, lol
I didn't like what they did with the bathroom sink at all. Pretty disapointed when I saw it. I am using the open space for towels. I did like the way they radiused the outside corner of the bathroom wall. Overall I know I could design a better trailer but so far I really like it despite the little "why" things.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I didn't like what they did with the bathroom sink at all. Pretty disapointed when I saw it. I am using the open space for towels. I did like the way they radiused the outside corner of the bathroom wall. Overall I know I could design a better trailer but so far I really like it despite the little "why" things.
Yes the radius wall was a winner, I think we will mount TP holder on the wall in the bathroom.

About the table, it is heavy and bulky, I'm already looking at designing a frame to replace the table for the bed, more then likely the table will stay at home! I'm 6'3, 240lb's and can barely get that thing into position. A lite weight 2x4 and plywood frame would be easier.

When I picked up the trailer from the dealer, they said the table should lay on the wood pieces during travel, and that is how they left it, when I got home, the table had shifted forward, chipped the corner of the table and marred the wood pieces. I meant to move the table before traveling as this info didn't seem right, I knew it would shift and being as heavy as it is, would cause damage. Lesson learned!!

My outdoor radio control screen has already went blank, just building up warranty stuff for one trip. I can still use the control, just can't see what I'm doing.
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
About the table, it is heavy and bulky, I'm already looking at designing a frame to replace the table for the bed, more then likely the table will stay at home! I'm 6'3, 240lb's and can barely get that thing into position. A lite weight 2x4 and plywood frame would be easier.

When I picked up the trailer from the dealer, they said the table should lay on the wood pieces during travel, and that is how they left it, when I got home, the table had shifted forward, chipped the corner of the table and marred the wood pieces. I meant to move the table before traveling as this info didn't seem right, I knew it would shift and being as heavy as it is, would cause damage. Lesson learned!!
I ditched that heavy-arse table. Check out my pics for the plywood. You gotta go at least 5/8" or thicker. I hinged mine and slide it under the couch when camping. When in transit, I stand it up behind the folded up couch.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-10991-2.html
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

I could do without the outside radio control and I can't get the keyless entry to work. Not a big deal but I will put it on my list if Ihead to the dealer for other issues.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

Sockman, I would like to see what you did with your table but can't figure out how to view your photos?

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Sockman, I would like to see what you did with your table but can't figure out how to view your photos?
Just go to the thread titled "Any 19wp owners?". They're under there.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #12

I have a door there so I couldn't do anything like that. I only get a bed on one side and the kitchen on the other (19RR). At this point I'm thinking remove and start over with that couch and table. I'll probably leave it alone for awhile (like 1st season) and make a decision later. Something will come to mind if nobody here has come up with anything for the 19RR sofa and 400lb table.

BTW when I test drove my 19RR at the dealer my table also fell and marred up the kitchen cabinets. Luckily I didn't own it at that time and the dealer sent for the parts and fixed it. I'll never do that again though.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #13

Yeah, I see. The 25rr is similar to the 19wp, but the 19rr only has the one couch back there. You could just take a folding cot with you if you need a sleeping spot for an adult. They fold up so it could fit in your storage space when not in use.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #14

Yup. That's the plan for now (except was going to take an air mattress). I was hoping I could upgrade it somehow to a really useful couch/bed though. Fortunately, there is just two of us so having company would be the exception. If we had more adults, we'd would of purchased a bigger camper. What are the odds that someone else on this forum is thinking..."OH MY I hate this fold down bed thing. I just want a couch with screw on arms and a 400lb table because it moves when I cut my steak."?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #15

One more last rant on the 19RR. The ramp door width was increased to about 70" wide. This does no good due to the fact that the measurment between the couch in the stowed position and the cabinet is less than 70". I would rather have the smaller door. Less sealing area to leak and more room to mount a larger tv in the rear. Even with all the little things I still like mine alot.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #16

Well - the damn table was the first thing to go. One trip with that thing and it was soon banished outside, under the canopy, up against the wheel well where it holds up two electric burners a toaster oven and an office table lamp. Its where most of the cooking is done. We also have a dorm fridge that's about 3 ft tall that sits right next ot it for beverages. (beer, water, soda)
The sofa...ahh yes the damn sofa. We tried taking one of the arms off of it but ended up putting it back on. The back cushion we use when hauling a bike to put in between the sink/stove cabinet in case one of the tie down straps breaks and the bike falls over. My wife tried using the sofa without the back cushion and said it may be more confortable with just a bunch of pillows. We don't use it as a bed b/c its just the two of us. Its more for the dogs actually. We also bought two small hassocks that have the removable lid for extra storage. They don't seem to be in the way and hold "stuff".

Sportster
...been out alreaady!!!
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #17

Yup. Fear my 400lb table isn't going to last long either. I guess I won't take the arms off either. I think the whole thing has to go. I want that other one that folds into a bed. For now I'll leave it the way it is. We have never used our camper yet. Now I got a new truck and I can't pull anything for 1000 miles. I'll try and get some put on this weekend because the weather has been pretty awesome around here lately.