Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #1

2010 / 27 DFWP Options

Hi all,
New here and just ordered a new 27DFWP. I am confused about various articles on here about axle weight. How can I find out what axle's will come out of the factory on my machine and what should I have.

Does anyone suggest having an extra scare light or two on the outside, if so where?

Any suggestions for aftermarket generators for this unit. Are generators installed in the Gen. compartment loud?

Exactly what is included in the "Generator Direct" option.

Can I get a Rhino kit for the 27dfwp and is it worth it.

Is the 2010 27' DFWP awning checkered or is it a more modern color?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
trawlerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #2

27DFWP option

We took delivery of our 2010 27DFWP about a month ago. Did a lot of research before we ordered it so here is what I know.

Axle Weights:

Each axle can carry 3500 lbs of weight X 2 axles plus some on the tongue. So the 3500 lbs axles will give you a GVRW (Gross Vehicle Rated Weight) of 8,011 lbs. The 5200 lbs axles increase that to around a GVRW of 11171. The 3500 lbs axles are standard. The 5200 lbs axels are a option and were a must for me. If you are carrying a few ATV's you may need them too.

Personally I don’t know why they even offer the 3500 lbs axels. The specs say UVW is right at 6000 add 883 lbs for water, 200 lbs for gas, 1000 lbs for gear, clothes, and food your at 8000 lbs. Very little room for any options let alone an ATV or two.

Off the dealers lot, towing mine home, it weighed right at 7100 lbs. So this is my actual UVW (unloaded Vehicle Weight) with options. Fully loaded (water, gasoline, food, tools, camping gear, bikes, ect) it weighs over 10,600 lbs. I just weighed my camper during this weekends trip (with everything but the ATV’s) and it weighed just over 9000 lbs. I had the following options added: 4000 Watt generator, electric stabilizing jacks, second bed over the dinette, 10 Gal. water heater, residential mattress, and some other small ones.

I did not know extra scare lights were available. Mine has the standard two, one on the side, forward of the door and one over the ramp. They put out a little less light than your house porch light.

The “Generator Direct” is nothing more than a fuel line from the fuel station and a compartment. And the compartment needs modified because it’s sealed. My factory Gen is not loud at all.

I tried to get a Rhino Kit for mine but could not. I had two dealers giving me quotes, one said I could get it the other said no. I pushed them both to get the right answer. They both called the factory and they came back saying no. The 27DFWP is not tall enough for two beds to be up there. I said I did not care if I had to duck to walk under them. That didn’t work either.
It would be worth it to me. You could get two of full size ATV’s side by side if it were not for the dinette. That would help a lot with the tongue weight. (more on that later) You may have read my other post about the Rhino Kit.

The awning is not checkered on the 2010. The DW likes the new one better. I didn't mind the checkered Click image for larger version

Name:	48.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1641

Other:

Tongue weight is VERY HEAVY. On my three weighs, the tongue was, 1200Lbs Unloaded , 1500Lbs without bikes, and 1800 Lbs full load with bikes. I carry 3 ATV’s and one dirt bike.
jflandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #3

Thanks

Excellent Reply...
One more question..
If the GVRW is say 11171 like yours...and my Toyota Tundra has a towing capacity of 10300 is is legal to tow a heavier trailer if I dont load the trailer up to more than 10300 pounds..
The factory offered to put on 4000 pound axles. That keeps the 5 lug wheels and tires and would give me a little extra weight capacity. The cost of the upgrade is the same as the 5200 pound axles.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

Yes, the actual weight at any given moment is all that matters. Don’t forget to also check your GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating). This is the total weight of the TV (Tow Vehicle) and camper. Just like with the camper, the manufactures figure from the base weight of the truck before options, fuel, cargo, and passengers. (GCVWR - base weight = max towing capacity) I have never come close to towing capacity of my TV but do get very close to GCVWR. Laws vary state to state, but safety and the hassle of blowing a tire are constant.

First thing that comes to mind is about the axles is….if it cost the same why not go with the 5200 lbs. I am thinking of future flexibility and resale. Also with the bigger axles and tires the less chance of them ever giving you trouble.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

Hey,
Yea I called the factory, the unit was still on the line, no axles since they didnt have the 4000#ers yet..I told them to put on the 5200 pounders, thanks for the advice.

I am planning on putting a different generator on myself after I get the unit, East coast generators sell a nice little unit, it weighs in at 170 pounds.

I have 4 quads, 2 adult and 2 kids, one of the kids quads will fit up front by the queen bed, but I will have to figure out how to put some extra Drings up there.

Did you get the 30# bottles? Dealer said the 20# standard ones are better since you can exchange them anywhere as opposed to having to fill them.

Let me know anything i should check during the pdi, anything that you noticed didnt come up to snuff.

Thanks again
PS, I pick this up in MI at the end of the month and then will use it in Oshkosh at the airshow then bring it back out here to the pacific NW.
I am pulling it with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter, with a tow capacity of 10300 pounds.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #6

Man that will be a great trip.
I was disappointed with the 20 # bottles at first. We dry camp (no hookups) mostly so the refrigerator runs off gas, and we use the heat about 5 nights a year and used less than 30# a season. So I guess it’s not a big deal for me. Exchanging them will be handy. We camp in the Mid-Atlantic at sea level so YMMV.
Leaks were my biggest problem. I had two windows that leaked and the front storage door leaked. Of course I didn’t notice them until we had a few days of rain. I did see some places in the roof sealant I ask them to touch up. The TV mount was too low causing the TV to hit the bottom of the cabinet and very hard to release the latch. Also my propane Reg. squealed really loud with the heat and hot water heater on at the same time.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

I`d go with the 30# tanks. It is a lot cheaper to have them filled than to exchange them ,you can fill both of them for what it cost to exchange one of them

Tags
cherokee wolfpack