Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

2016 26RR Winter Camping

Hello all,

I like to camp in the winter here in Colorado and I noticed the fresh water tank is mounted under the camper. It is insulated but I am still worried about it freezing.
Has anyone else camped in the winter and used the water, water heater, how cold did it get for you and did you have any problems with the fresh water freezing up?

I have stayed in my camper for fun in the driveway when it was cold. The heater runs a lot and takes forever to heat it up. How good of a job does the heater do? I was thinking about getting a higher cap one, do I need it?

Thanks,
Steve...
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Your unit is NOT made for using the Fresh Water when the Temps will FREEZE water,be it F or C Degree! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

We have camped in the winter but never used the water system (I always keep it winterized Dec-Mar unless we are south) It can be a challenge just to keep the trailer heated we used an electric heater to supplement the LP, bottled water & campground facilities. I have never knowingly tempted Murphy's law with an expensive repair looming, my old 38' 5'er had heated tanks but given the price of repairs we didn't chance it. Don't forget thick flannel sheets and a down comforter ! It's fun and the campgrounds that are open are usually very helpful and social. :-)
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

I used mine during the winter...the only issue I had was the outside shower freezing. I fixed this by removing the shower head and placing a towel in the enclosure for insulation. My 26RR has the insulated undercarriage with the tank heater, and I just used a space heater to supplement the propane heater and didn't have any other issues.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Hey MXDAD did you use the fresh water? How cold did it get for you? Any freezing up problems?
I used to winter camp in my old camper, I actually lived in it here in Denver for over a year. The tank was inside so as long as the heater was on it worked fine. As long as you keep the grey and black holding tanks down it works pretty good and no worry about damage. After crawling around underneath I see the drain appears to be where the water tap comes out to the pump, and the line is exposed along the frame rail. I am thinking about putting in another fresh tank inside somewhere, tapping into the pump. Plus, I will be able to bring more water with me when I think I will need it. Also thought of using an outboard gas tank and just setting it on the sink in the bathroom. I like "roughing it" but no running water? What are we animals???!!!!
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

I used fresh water...the water got chilly, but my water heater has both electric and propane, so it was able to overcome the cold. I also kept my cabinet doors open so that the pipes stayed as warm as possible (Especially at night). I have been considering something like this for the winter.

Robot Check

Tags
camping, winter