Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

20pack10 just bought and had to evacuate town help

Hey guys I just bought a 2016 20pack10 toy hauler and I love it! Except I literally got it a week ago and now hurricane Matthew made me and the family leave and go ahead and start to use it

But I have tons of questions now I'm out here camping and my sales rep was not helpful at all.
I read the owners manual which is junk

•hot water heater has a button for "pump" and a button for heater.... if I am using a water hose hook up at the camper park do I need to use the pump switch? Also is it better to hear with propane or electric? How do I make it work either way????

•on the driver side of camper in front the axles I see a hold/cold hoses with valves at the ends? Are those drain valves for the water line when thru using the camper?

•fridge supply? Gas or electric should I use???

•if I go off grid do I need a generator or with the battery's up front work????

•thanks ahead of time guys, I just need all the help I can get. I have sent Cherokee like 10 emails and chad cook has yet to respond!
I had to evacuate and now I need to know how to work it
Ozziedodge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Team

water heater has a button for "pump" and a button for heater.... if I am using a water hose hook up at the camper park do I need to use the pump switch? Also is it better to hear with propane or electric? How do I make it work either way????

Pump switch is for your Fresh Water tank and should not be used when connected to city water. Depending on which brand WH you have, WH switch inside is for propane. For suburban WH switch for electric is accessed from outside cover ( Lower left corner of heater). You can heat water with either electric, propane or both. If you have shore power, most people use electric. Be sure water heater is full of water before truning on electric or you will burn out element in seconds.
on the driver side of camper in front the axles I see a hold/cold hoses with valves at the ends? Are those drain valves for the water line when thru using the camper?
Those are low point drains for draining water lines.

•fridge supply? Gas or electric should I use???
Fridge will work on electric or propane. If you are on shore power, most people use electric.

•if I go off grid do I need a generator or with the battery's up front work????
You can operate lights, water pump and control boards for fridge ( fridge on propane) for a day or two. Furnace or other fans will need a source to recharge batteries every day or two. To run the AC you will need about 3000W generator. If you look at generators, be sure to get a quiet inverter type.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

Congratulations on our new unit. I hope you and your family stay safe from this storm.
The pump switch is for when you are not connected to city water. The pump will draw water from your fresh water holding tank. When on city water your unit is fed and pressurized from the hose connection. Leave the pump off when connected to city water.
If you have electric hookups use the electric to heat the hot water. Save your propane. You can use both if you need a faster recovery time.
The two hoses hanging down are to empty your water lines. Typically done if storing for a long time or winterizing.
Refrigerator same as water heater. If you have electric use it. Save your propane. I leave mine on automatic which will use electric if available and automatically switch to gas when electric is not available.
As for your batteries. I could go on for pages on amp hours available and amp hours used etc. But in simple terms if you use your batteries while not plugged into electric they will require charging. Either solar or generator. If your plugged into electric your converter will keep the batteries topped off. If your not plugged in a generator will need to be run periodically to run the converter to charge the batteries.
Good luck and please stay safe.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Congratulations on our new unit. I hope you and your family stay safe from this storm.
The pump switch is for when you are not connected to city water. The pump will draw water from your fresh water holding tank. When on city water your unit is fed and pressurized from the hose connection. Leave the pump off when connected to city water.
If you have electric hookups use the electric to heat the hot water. Save your propane. You can use both if you need a faster recovery time.
The two hoses hanging down are to empty your water lines. Typically done if storing for a long time or winterizing.
Refrigerator same as water heater. If you have electric use it. Save your propane. I leave mine on automatic which will use electric if available and automatically switch to gas when electric is not available.
As for your batteries. I could go on for pages on amp hours available and amp hours used etc. But in simple terms if you use your batteries while not plugged into electric they will require charging. Either solar or generator. If your plugged into electric your converter will keep the batteries topped off. If your not plugged in a generator will need to be run periodically to run the converter to charge the batteries.
Good luck and please stay safe.
Wow thank you so so much pal means a lot to feel welcomed to a new forum for me

How can I make the fridge/water heater use propane or electric?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Your fridge should switch automatically to propane when you loose shore power as long as you have the propane tanks turned on and filled. As far as your water tank, you may have a valve that switches from city to tank fill. When the water tank is full water will come out of the vent. Should be close to the fill port. Hope this helps.
Mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Wow so helpful... fly bob! Thanks again
I purchased a 2016 Honda EU6500iu generator like a month ago and then got a camper and I got a good deal on it

•How to I change the fridge to be on electric or propane???

•ok if I hook up to city water and don't need to use the pump switch, how to I know the water tank if filled, / and prepared to heat?

•off the record i had the trailer be the only toy hauler to fit all my toys(rzr and atv sideways.
How does this trailer hold up in general?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #7

To make fridge work on electric generally put switch to auto. Fridge will use electric first and only use gas if you lose power or unplug. Although the fridge control board runs off your 12v batteries it needs 110v electric to cool on electric.
Your water heater is either suburban or atwood but in either case there are switches for each. Atwood usually has both switches inside. Suburban usually has gas switch inside and electric switch outside inside water heater access panel. You can use electric or gas or both. Make sure your water heater has water in it! Just run hot water from the tap and it will fill up.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #8

Ozziedodge67, Your fridge should have a on/off switch up top, you should set it to auto and it will operate on shore power as long as you are plugged in. As for your water heater, after you have hooker up to city water you should run your hot water thru the faucet that is the further est away from your water heater until you have bleed all the air and you should bleed the air at the water heater with the pressure relief valve. Be sure to do this before you turn on your water heater.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

And of course my first use is diring a evacuation. And I sent multiple emails to chad cook. Zero help @ all.
•All pulled by 15' Gmc 2500HD duramax
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #10

Ok so

Water heater

••If hooked up to city water no need to use pump....
Also before starting heater , use the faucet on hot for a minute. Then turn heater on the wait a little and have warm water???
•to decide if it uses electric or propane on heater I need to go on the side of camper and use the switch on and off? What's on and off???

•fridge propane or electric? Where is the switch or is it just a auto unit?
••the fridge switch I am still a little
Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #11

BTH, Welcome to the forum! Sure hope you and you family weather the storm O.K.. Where did you have to evacuate from and to?
2012 HD Street Glide
Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #12

Myrtle beach sc
To
Winnsboro sc (Columbia sc area) at a riding park
Carolina adventure world
About a 3 hour ride....
trailer pulled like a dream the whole way no issue...

so do these trailers hold up decently
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #13

The switch for the fridge should be right above the fridge door. If you push the button to the left the light for auto should come on. If you leave it like that, and your gas is on, it will automatically run on LP if your tank is turned on.
2012 HD Street Glide
Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #14

•I wantvfrodge to be electric how do I do I do it??? lol ain't free lol
Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #15
Site Team

20pack10 just bought and had to evacuate town help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozziedodge67 View Post
•I wantvfrodge to be electric how do I do I do it??? lol ain't free lol
Did you read the above answers about setting your fridge to auto? Do that (assuming it's a normal fridge).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #16

Thanks. So auto will use electric ?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #17

It will continue to run on Elect until you unplug from shore power or turn it off. You should have a owners Manual for your fridge that will help.
2012 HD Street Glide
Old 10-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #18

1st- worst owners manuals I have ever seen!!!

2nd- chad cook @ Cherokee wolf pack. No call back, left multiple voicemails and sent email after email. Let him know I'm not at home and have questions about this toy hauler! No response at all from him.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #19
Site Team

1. Nearly ALL RV manufacturers only provide a generic owners manual anymore.

2. Not sure why you are ranting about Chad Cook, when you should be contacting the dealer you bought from.
That's your first level of contact.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozziedodge67 View Post
Thanks. So auto will use electric ?
Auto uses electric first and will auto switch to propane if the electric is lost for whatever reason. If the electric comes back on it will auto switch back to electric. It's a beautiful thing.
Yes, we all agree that the owners manual is a joke. You are better off using the individual components manuals for specifics, especially on the fridge and water heater.
Keep in mind that there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who are eager to help. There is not a situation in the world they have not been in and figured out how to fix it.
Good luck, welcome to the forum, and stay safe.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote