Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

25rr d-ring installation

So I have a 25rr and I want to add a couple d-rings to the floor. I contacted outback rv where I bought the TT. They said all I had to do was drill out a hole for the recessed d-ring and screw it into the floor. They believe the d rings are just screwed to the floor with no other reinforcements underneath. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I don't want to cut open the black cover underneath just to have a look.

2013 Grey Wolf 25RR
Partyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyman View Post
So I have a 25rr and I want to add a couple d-rings to the floor. I contacted outback rv where I bought the TT. They said all I had to do was drill out a hole for the recessed d-ring and screw it into the floor. They believe the d rings are just screwed to the floor with no other reinforcements underneath. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I don't want to cut open the black cover underneath just to have a look.

2013 Grey Wolf 25RR
If you just want to look at them, do what Outback RV said. If you want to use them, you need a metal backer that covers all 4 bolts, not screws.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

And that makes perfect sense to me. I can't imagine just screws alone would handle anything for very long. I did send an email to forest river to see how they do it in the factory. I'm curious as to what they will say. I will be shocked if they tell me they're screwed in!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #4

Tie down topic...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tle-22215.html
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

Oh.... That does not sound like fun.

I had gone back and forth on getting a TT like the roo so the toys would be outside the living space but the darn thing was so long it wouldn't fit where I wanted to park it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #6

What are you hauling? I haul a Polaris RZR in my 21rr and thought I would have to add d-rings. Turns out after spending some time with the rzr parked inside I was able to figure out how to use the existing rings.

I tried to remove a screw that was holding one of the d-rings and they most definately are going into something other than the plywood floor. That was what convinced me to try to use the existing d-rings if at all posible.

I use six ratchet straps. Two to prevent forward/backward motion, two to prevent the front from moving sidways and the last two to prevent the back from moving sideways. It takes me a little longer than I would like to secure the rzr, but I am planning to dedicate and label the straps. I think this and practice will speed up the process.

If you don't want to cut or drill your floor you might be able to secure pieces of angle iron to your d-rings and mount fasteners along the angle iron as required. When you get to your campsite unfasten the angle iron and slide it under your trailer.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

I wouldn't trust the existing d rings to hold down a piece of paper let alone a quad or a motorcycle. That's my opinion after spending 2 days under the trailer with the membrane pulled back.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

I haul a Canam outlander max. It weighs around 700 lbs. It's a bit longer than most atvs. I have no problem tying it down. What I would like to do is add two more tie downs somewhere around the bathroom so I can haul my motorcycle or a smaller atv in the future.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

I just received an email response from a Forest River parts representative.

He said, "yes they just get screwed down".