Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

25RR Motorcycle Loading Question

Hello Folks

First time poster, site looks great.

My wife and I are considering a 25RR just for her and I and our Victory Motorcycle. I have not seen one first hand yet but I had a question on the ramp. In the pictures I can find so far it looks a bit steep. Does anyone else have experience loading a large bike in this trailer?

Thanks in advance
Eric
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

Hi ericv, i have a 25rr and a honda vtx 1800c. My driveway has a slight slope to it. I load the bike with the th (toy hauler) tires at the lowest point. No problem loading the bike that way. At camp if its all level, ill stagger a couple 2 by s under the edge of the ramp, and raise the tongue up to get better clearance at the top of the ramp.without doing that, my bike will bottom out slightly on level surfaces.
R1campr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Thanks R1, that is exactly what I thought just looking at a video I found. My Vic has the oil plug right on the bottom lower than the frame so I would need to be very careful.

Thanks again
Eric
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Some people buy/make ramp extensions. I was considering that, but may not be necessary for me. Maybe do a search for toy hauler ramp extensions.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

It was a huge problem for my wolfpack 27TH . Tore up the floor going into the camper. Plus scared the bejesus outta me going up the steep ramp on our Harleys. After much trial and error i bought 3 steel folding ramps at home depot. I raise the ramp about 15 inches with 3vjackstands and pin the ramps to the TH door.. easy as can be now except i since saw a much better aux ramp set up at Tractor Supply

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the great info. Other than that how do you guys like the camper? Would you recommend one?

Thanks
Eric
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

we bought ours new last spring, we really like it. It is easy to pull with my f250, and easier with the bike in it, less sway.We looked at the 19rr also, but it just seemed too small on the inside. When comparing the 19rr and 25rr, I was thinking of inside room mostly. I never realized how little cabinet space it had till we loaded it to go camping.

I took the tv off the cabinet panel and mounted an extending swing arm on the wall for it. then opened up that cabinet space, (theres nothing behind that black panel on my 25rr). I also put a shelf in there. We really like the big window and put the table in front of it when camping. The table is heavy and mine is wobbly, but it's ok till I come up with a better table.

Our camper did not come with a spare, so I bought one right after getting the camper. I should have checked the tires closely before buying it. After 2 trips, maybe 500 miles, one tire had some splits in the sidewall, and all had like a welt around the sidewalls about an inch from the rim edge. The tires were trail express, and were less than 6 months old. tires have a date on them, first number is the week of the year, and the second number is the year, keep them at max cold pressure. I replaced mine with Goodyear Marathon radials. So check them tires good if you havent bought one yet. Maybe even get the dealer to put better tires on it?

I would recommend buying a 25rr, especially for the money. Some other toy haulers are crazy expensive. We really like ours, just wish we had time to take it out more, hopefully this year we will. We have also met others at campgrounds that have 25rr's and they were also happy with theirs. But I think everyone does modifications to them.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

I would certainly recommend the wolfpack 27th or some variation of it. Stay away from the rr models unless you're not going to carry much thats why the tires tear up - it's overloaded! My 27th cany carry 4600 lbs of cargo. I run out of room long before i get close to that. Im gonna post some pics shortly. Check back soon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

As someone who tore my kickstand spring off the bottom of my 02 Electra Glide when I attempted to load it before reading this forum, I can tell you it's steep and the angle going in to the garage is acute. I put the nose of the trailer up as high as I can to lessen the angle then put an extension ramp at the end of the ramp that I have supported with wheel chock so its about 4" off the ground. Works like a charm. Haven't lost a kickstand spring since.

This is on a 2012 19rr by the way.

Sportster
...happy camping!
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Loading my Harley dresser

When I first got 19wp I thought the ramp was pretty steep. What I did was use my electric tongue jack and raise it so the ramp was flatter, I also lowered my back stabilizer jack as a precaution. The bike went right in without a problem, I still don't trust the tie downs because I can't see how they are bolted to the frame or floor
Paul Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

They aren't bolted to the frame or floor. They have about 3 inch long wood screws (and glue) through the floor and into the 2x joists. Not sure if thats 2x2 or 2x4. I use a wheel chock, not much upward force on the D rings where the wheel chock is.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

As others have said lift the front of trailer up to make ramp flatter. and watch the ramp for sag in the middle we saw this after just loading the bikes 4 or maybe 5 times, a compression rib rite in the center, camper is at dealer getting a new door. with exception of tires that the only thing we have had problems with, pull it with our yukon and it trails straight. other wise we have no complaints about it.
jon497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #13

I found out the two front tie downs on my 19WP are held down with 1/2" wood screws the other 4 look to be held down with bigger screws. I would still like to know how they are bolted down. I had tie my bike down with the front two and the back tie downs, the front broke loose luckily I only damages on cabinet door. I don't understand why they don't say something about the rating on the tie downs.
Paul Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #14

i,m with BEE GEE on my wolf pack 285wp i set up bolcks to raise the ramp then use an aluminum ramp to get to the tail gate

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #15

Look into this for holding your bikes up. I hauled my bike thousands of miles with one of these, no straps on the front and two on the rear to keep it from hopping around. Didn't budge.

This was in the back of my truck with my TT, a trailer moves differently so I'd still tie the front, but only very minor tension would be necessary.

BAXLEYÂ*TRAILERÂ*COMPANYÂ*motorcyle trailer chock

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote