Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

27 DWFP Capacity

I am looking at a used 27DWFP WolfPack toy hauler. I am concerned about capacity. I read on another forum (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/2.cfm) that 5 lug wheels indicate 3500# axles and 6lug wheels indicate 5200# axle capacity.

The website/brochure have a GVWR of 10500# and UVW of 5899# and a payload of 2100# - my question is what does that 2100# include - is it just toy hauling capacity or does the water (110gallons) and gas (40 gallons) which would be roughly 980# also count as payload? if so this one is not for me as I have 1400 # of toys and that doesn't include gear, food, beer or the damn water/gas....

Anyone have any answers?

Thanks
Stacy
rsscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Site Team

I went to the Forest river site and it lists the GVWR as 8011lbs and the UVW as 5899lbs so the difference is 2112lbs. So that payload they give would be for toys, water, fuel, propane, battery(s), etc. Basically anything loaded into the unit that didn't ship with it from the factory.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

More details

I called Forest River and spoke with Becky. She stated that the payload in the specifications is for toys, water, gas etc - basically anything you put in the trailer. She said the best indication would be the GVWR sticker in the trailer itself. She also stated that you can get the axle capacity from a sticker and/or tag on the cross-beam of the axles. I asked if the number lug nuts was an indication of axle capacity and she said not necessarily - I had read previously that 5 lug was 3200 pound and 6 lug was 5400 pound - she said the sticker/tag on the axle cross beam was the only true indication.

Here is what is on the GVWR sticker in the trailer:
GVWR 11094
Minux UVW 6513
Minus Fresh Water 880
Minus Propane 63

CCC for Trailer 3638
There is another sticker by the back door that says 2000 Max Capacity for Cargo Area. The tire size is 235/75/R15 and the wheels are 5 lug.

So according to the GVWR sticker, I am good to go on this particular trailer - what does CCC stand for?? Cargo Carrying Capacity?

Thoughts - am I looking at all of this correctly? This is a used trailer so I want to ensure that it has the capacity that I need because I can't go back and hold the dealer accountable as another poster did.

Thanks
Stacy
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Becky is right. The best indication is the sticker on the trailer itself.

Looks like the numbers you posted above are good numbers.

CCC does stand for Cargo Carrying Capacity.

It appears that you are looking at it correctly. You can put 2000lbs of stuff in the back and have 1638 left for everything else.

Those are most likely 5200lb axles and those are load range "D" tires.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #5

Bad news

Well even though the GVWR sticker has enough stated capacity, the axles are only 3500#. The current owner is pissed off and took it to the dealer and called Forest River. They have been towing over capacity with the way it sits now.

They are going to try to get it resolved and get the 5200# axles and related tires/wheels if necessary put on it. If that happens, then we will move forward with the deal.

Hopefully Forest River will do the right thing!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #6

The best way to know what axles are under it is look at the tag on the axle. When I first ordered my Wolfpack 27DFWP I told the salesman that I needed a minimum capacity of 1800 lbs for my 2 ATVs. He said that it had 2100 lb cap so it was plenty. I took his word for it and ordered it. Once home I was und the RV and noticed a tag on the axle and it was 3500 ls per axle and they were 5 lug wheels. The tag in the cabinet above the sink said :

GVWR--8011, Minus UVW (unloaded weight) -- 5899, Minus Fresh Water 106 gal -- 880, Minus Propane 14 gal -- 63, =CCC for this trailer approx. -- 1169

I told the salesman that it wasn't what I ordered and not heavy enough so we swaped out the axles for 5200 lb and 6 lug wheels heavier tires.

the new updated tag says:

GVRW -- 11171, minus -- 5899, minus water 106 gal -- 883, minus propane 14 gal -- 59, = CCC -- 4330

No idea why the water and propane weight changed but those are the numbers from the old and new stickers.

I would take it that the 2100 lb might include the propane and water.

2100lb (CCC) - 880lb (Water) - 63lb (propane) = 1157lb Which is very close to the 1169 on my original sticker
krabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #7

The one I am looking at has the higher capacity on the GVWR sticker but the axles and tires do not support it.

The owner is dealing with the dealer and Forest River currently. We'll see how it shakes out. Did they step up and replace the axles for you? What about the wheels and tires? Are the wheels 6 lug wheels? Are the tires "D" or "E" rated tires?

Thanks for your insight. I like the layout of this trailer and the price I am getting for this used one is fantastic compared to new - just got to make sure that it can handle my needs before I pull the trigger.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #8

5 lug came with the RV and Forest River supplied the tires, wheels, axles, spring, lug nuts and wheel center caps. The replacement axles are 6 lug. The new tires are D rated black wall trailer and the original tres were Hercules LT M&S white lettered C rated.

The layout works perfect for us. Holds 2 ATVs or our RZR and a Brute Force with no problem. At leat it did. I haven't tried to fit in the RZR since I put on 3" lift and 2" wheel spacers.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #9

Kabrid

Can you tell me who you dealt with at Forest River on your issue. The people who I am potentially buying this from have taken it to the dealer and the dealer has been less than helpful. They contacted Forest River and spoke with Becky but she didn't give them the warm fuzzy that this was going to be resolved.

They asked me to ask you who you were dealing with - you can email me at rsscoggins@yahoo.com if you want to take this offline.

Thanks
Stacy
Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #10

All

Dealer got involved and net net is Forest River is sending axles, tires, and wheels and picking up the installation. All of the order sheets, GVWR sticker, everything indicated 5200# axles - but the trailer only had 3500# axles.

Hopefully we will be picking it up and closing the deal with the original owners shortly after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #11

Great, glad everything working out for you.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm glad it's working out that way. I could just see them sending a new sticker and saying oops we put the wrong sticker on, sorry.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #13

Ken and Bama,

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Bama, Yeah I am with you, that would have been the easy fix - slam a new sticker with the lower capacity. Fortunately the Purchase Order had everything delineated and Forest River and the dealer are going to fix it.

I did have to remind the current owner that the current spare tire probably won't fit either. They are tenacious about getting these issues resolved so they were going to alert the dealer on this issue as well.

I wonder how many other unsuspecting buyers of these 27DFWP's are running around over capacity because the stickers and axles aren't in sync? That could prove disasterous for someone!

Thanks again for your help! With any luck, soon I will be a new WolfPack owner that has the capacity to haul my stuff!!

Here is what I am hauling:

And he is where we are currently sleeping when on trips:

Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #14

Its one thing when a customer doesn't know what they have for capacity and over load it but something totally different when you purchase a specific capacity and receive a different one which is lighter. Thats when the liability goes to the company or the dealer. I think is should be listed in their literature that they are 2 capacities offered and also educate their dealers on the 2. Or just build the heavier one because I can't imagine there being much difference in the price at the factory level.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #15

I think someone on this forum or on another said that if you order it with the 5200# axles instead of 3500# then this is a $500 upgrade....but don't quote me on that one!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #16

If someone wanted to replace the axles what exactly would they need to order???

Not sure if it's an issue for me but just wondering?
roamerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #17

They sent me axles with complete hubs and springs along with wheels, tires, lugs and centers.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamerr View Post
If someone wanted to replace the axles what exactly would they need to order???
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabid View Post
They sent me axles with complete hubs and springs along with wheels, tires, lugs and centers.
krabid covered the entire units. You'll need all this if going up in axle size changes the tire size as well the lug count.

If the tire size stays the same you can possibly just order the axles, hubs, springs and hangers. If the hubs and brakes are the same size you could possibly just order the axles, springs and hangers and reuse the hubs.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #19

I had to change wheels because went from 5 lug to 6. I don't think the 5 lug wheels will fit the 5200# axles because the bearings are bigger on the 5200# axles. at least on the ones I put on they were. Thats why I had to also change the wheel centers as well. The 6 lug hub centers are way bigger that the 5 lug.

Tags
cherokee wolfpack