Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

27DFWP Tongue Weight

If you are planning on buying a Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pack 27DFWP you should be aware of the HUGE tongue weight.

Forest River does admit to a heavy 1000 lbs empty tongue weight. My empty weight, bringing it home from the dealer, was 7120lbs, the tongue was 1480 lbs of that. Some of the options I have, 4000 generator, elect stab jacks, residential mattress, and the second bed over the dinette.

Loaded for camping without bikes 9020lbs total, tongue was 1580 lbs.

Fully loaded with 3 sport ATV’s (about 375 lbs each) and 1 dirt bike 10660 lbs total, the tongue was a huge 1840 lbs. That’s pushing fifth wheel weight.

If I could get two ATV’s side by side it the very back it would help but I need just a few more inches wide to do that. I load the heaviest ATV and the dirt bike there. The other two ATV’s are loaded up the hall, as far back as possible. I end up with the most fwd ATV’s front tires right at the front entry door.

I really wonder why Forest River put the axles so far back. It’s only 8’9” from the center of the axles to the back of the 30’ camper. I understand that Toyhaulers have the axles farther back than standard campers for the weight of the toys. Did Forest River think we could get two 500lbs ATV’s behind the axles. Well maybe we could if the dinette wasn’t in the way(it is only 7’ wide with the dinette folded” or the “Rhino Kit” was available in the 27DFWP.

I also wonder why they have the base model with only the 3500 lbs axles. If you add empty weight, water, propane, basic camping gear/food you are very close to GVRW. If you then add bikes and option you will be way over.

Some other quirky things to be aware of:

The fuel door hits the awning strut and will not stay open.

If you upgrade to the “Residential Mattress” the front bed will not fold up.

If you get the electric overhead bed it makes the dinette area a little dark. Making it hard to see playing cards. It also covers one of the A/C vents.

The carpet that comes with the camper does not fit anywhere. The closest we could get was in the kitchen area but it goes up the wall about 2 inches.

The bathroom door hits the master bedroom folding door/divider. Actually its just the latch. It does hold the door open for you though.

There is about a inch and a half gap between the vanity and the tub. I guess its for flexing, but things fall in there and there hard to get out.
jflandis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27dfwp, cherokee wolfpack