Old 01-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #11

Both my father and I pull 25RR's with a half ton. I have a Ford EB with the 3.73 gears and my dad has a truck similar to yours. We have both added leaf springs to stiffen up the rear end and both pull the trailers fine (although I would argue mine pulls better than his does). We both load ours up with GL1800's as you would. At this exact minute, I'm not certain how much heavier the 27RR is over the 25RR but it can't be too much more. Personally, I wouldn't go much heavier than what I have now. I like having a ton of extra capacity left over with my trailer. I often load up the bed with firewood or other cargo. You'll also need a ramp modification on your trailer so your wing clears (but I guess that's another topic). I hope that helps some. You will get varying opinions on weight on this and any other forum.

Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

Thanks for the info....what kind of modification will I need and what kind of cost am I looking at?
We were curious as to whether or not the goldwing would fit in the 25RR or 26RR. So obviously from looking at your post it will

Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #13

Do you have a GL1500 or GL1800? Depending on what you have an how old your fork springs are etc. (it's that close) will determine what you need to do. Some, I have seen, will jack up the tongue to angle the trailer backwards and that helps but I wanted to avoid that.

What I did was add a four foot metal extension to the back of mine and replaced the bumper guards on the top of the door with ones made for a loading dock (to raise the ramp up). It's attached with a piano type hinge along the top so that it swings out when the door goes down. It works well. You have to be level when you park or you'll still find yourself raising the tongue slightly. I can load my bike with the trailer detached but I prefer to have it attached.

Also, be sure to select a wheel chock that doesn't require you attaching anything to the floor. Your tanks are right below the floor and the floor in these things aren't good enough (that's just MHO). Several others on this forum have found wheel chock solutions without drilling.

BTW your bike will fit inside a 19RR too. The only thing about the 19RR that I didn't like was the entry door was clear in the back. You'll have to walk around your bike to access the BR or bath room or grab a soda (while travelling). My 19RR had way more storage than my 25RR does. Go figure! The 19RR is a great rally trailer for a half-ton providing you have no pets and no children. It just gets crowded fast in there.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandf1 View Post
I am lookin seriously at a 27rr but only have a 1/2 ton silverado Z71 with town package. I am wanting to put my 800lb goldwing in it and travel. I saw a rzr was loaded but my concern is that the weight will drag me down so much that I will be climbing hills at 45mph.
Can someone with a 1/2 ton give me some insight as to what I can expect?
We have a 14 25rr and put a kawi vaquero and a roadstar 1700 in it and pull it with our 2000 Yukon, 3.73 carrier. in drive the truck don't know it's back there. We are able to hit o.d. and keep it on flat ground no headwind, there air shocks seem to help with the load, so adding helpers like mentioned above shouldn't hurt. The biggest thing is the fuel 8mpgs...
Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #15

I have ordered my new 27rr. Can anyone tell me what the typical height of the tongue coupler is on this model. I know it varies depending on the weight. BUT, I want to order my wd hitch and need to know what shank to order. If I have the height, I can check it with my truck and get close.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
GSlone

I pull a 28WP with a Ford EB 1/2 ton so you should have no problem pulling that with it.
2009 Harley Davidson Street Glide
GSlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #17

My 27rr is in the shop for some warranty work right now but I could put the hitch on my truck and give you the height to the ball if that would help.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #18

That would be great!thanks for the offer.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

It is 23" to the top of the hitch ball. I don't know if it matters but I use an Andersen Hitch on a gmc 2500 HD 4x4. Here is the best picture I have that shows the truck hitched to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unsorted 038.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	71158  
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #20

Thanks. That measurement really helps and matches close to what my dealer was saying.

What are your thought about the Anderson Hitch. My dealer is trying to sell me the Equalizer Hitch. It is quite a bit more expensive. But, I have heard the Andersen might not transfer enough of the weight to the front axle. Have you had any issues?

Tags
grey wolf