Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #361

I'm picking mine up in two weeks and wanted to ask your opinion. Tow vehicle is 03 F350 crew cab long bed, air bags. I'm towing a 26BH right now with quad in bed of truck and standard hitch and dual sway bars. My plan is to just go with that on new camper, no weight distribution hitch. Am I asking for issues? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
I'm picking mine up in two weeks and wanted to ask your opinion. Tow vehicle is 03 F350 crew cab long bed, air bags. I'm towing a 26BH right now with quad in bed of truck and standard hitch and dual sway bars. My plan is to just go with that on new camper, no weight distribution hitch. Am I asking for issues? Thanks in advance.
I needed a weight distribution/hitch system on my Raptor since it's a half ton. It tows like nothing is back there with that setup. With an F350/airbags, I am not sure if you will need it. This trailer is very light compared to other similar sized rigs which should make it that much easier to tow for you. If your not sure, I would definitely ask the dealer or a trusted mechanic if you have one. If it's a tossup, your better off airing on the side of safety. I was in a highway rollover with a travel trailer when I was a kid, and know how scary that is to go through so I'm always on the conservative side when towing. Have fun with your new Toy Hauler! We have been having a blast playing with our's

2005 RM250 (Woods)
jwglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #363

JW, thanks for the reply. I think I'm gona haul it back from the dealer empty with just airing up the bags to level it (probably around 50 psi, guessing) and see how it handles with regular hitch and dual sway bars. If it acts up and is tail heavy, it's time for a weight distribution hitch.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #364

Oops, I meant nose heavy, causing the front of my truck to be be nose light.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #365

Weight Distr Hitch

The trailer will tow fine empty without the WDH, but it is absolutely necessary if your going to put anything in the garage. Major difference pulling once you put something back there. Don't haul it anywhere loaded without the WDH.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #366

Barrie, what should I expect when having a quad in the back without a wdh? My understanding is all that does is reduce the tongue weight by no more than 200lbs. The quad weights maybe 800?!? So with having air bags on the F350 and a dual sway bar system I'm just kinda wondering what a wdh will bring to my towing.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #367

Quote:
JW, thanks for the reply. I think I'm gona haul it back from the dealer empty with just airing up the bags to level it (probably around 50 psi, guessing) and see how it handles with regular hitch and dual sway bars. If it acts up and is tail heavy, it's time for a weight distribution hitch.
I just looked up the dry hitch weight of 934lbs for the 27RR. Tail heavy is not a option empty.

The 26 & 27 are nose heavy of the bunch.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #368

Greycat, I made an oops but corrected myself in the next post. I was referring to the truck being tail heavy but realized I should be referring to the RV, which would be nose heavy. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #369

I tow my 27RR with a Ram 1500 using a blue Ox Sway Pro wdh and Airlift 1000 airbags, also have Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires which help also, bags at 35psi, tires at 45psi, truck is more level now and it doesn't porpoise down the road after every dip in the road. I have not hauled my Ultra yet with this set up but it should be better than before the mods.
BKM1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #370

Quote:
Greycat, I made an oops but corrected myself in the next post. I was referring to the truck being tail heavy but realized I should be referring to the RV, which would be nose heavy. Thanks.
I kinda thought that I too am trying to get the weight right (26RR).

Tags
grey wolf