Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #51

Rhoadzie, are you talking about the white light on the electric jack? There is a switch on the back of the jack to turn that off.

USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoil7 View Post
Here is an email I just sent to my salesman, but guessing it might be awhile before I get an answer. Can anyone guess what they may say about it? Am I missing something?

Hi (my salesman). Hope all is well. Getting excited to try out the new toy hauler, but going to wait a little while before we can count on the weather.
I was wondering if you could ask the right person and get a question answered for me. On the yellow sticker inside my front door, it gives me a dry weight of 5829, and a max cargo weight of 1939 lbs. (total 7768 GVW).

My tires however have a max dual (dual axle I assume) load limit of 1570 lbs each, or 6280 max GVW.

It clearly looks as though these tires barely meet the requirements of a dry weight, much less a 900 lb Harley Davidson and even minimal camping supplies. Can you explain? I joined the Forrest River Forums, and from what I have read, having the right tires is paramount.
I can not find anything about these tires on the internet, they are Vail Sport Radial ST. It's as if I have the only set.
Please let me know what you find out. Thanks (my salesman).

*end of email
Researching, I did find some "D" rated LoadStar 14" 8 ply radials, with load limit of 2040. These seem to be a better fit, IMHO.
Bigoil, hi.

GVWR is written on your unit, on the weight tag or tags. Many times the GVWR isn't a simple matter of adding dry, or actual weight (as it left the factory), to the maximum cargo capacity; but it will be close. At the GVWR it is the norm that tires and axles are also at their limits.

So, if the 7768# is GVWR and you have 1100# tongue weight (TW) there would be 6668# on the axle pair or 3334# on each axle assuming they share the load equally. However not all that weight is on the axle springs, since the weight of the axles with components and wheels and tires are "unsprung" which means around 200 to 250 lbs is not resting on each axle.

Since tires are the issue, and if everything is in balance, which it more than likely isn't, you would have 1668# on each tire. As you know, with the motorcycle loaded, the tongue weight would be reduced (actually moved onto the trailer axles from the tongue) the weight on the trailer axles and tires would be higher and even more overloaded.

You can only be sure of this by getting on a scale; such as a CAT scale.

Your tires read 1570# and would appear to be "C" rated, but are 97# over their limit in the best scenario. This should not be; certainly not on a new unit. If I were you I would get tires upgrade to a good "D" rated tire by whatever means, no matter who pays.

All these light tires are made in China, but I think some brands "might' have better QC. I personally like the Maxxis, but who really knows. I think Goodyear Marathons are OK at this point in time. Also, make sure the wheels are rated as high as the tires you pick.

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #53

Thanks WolfWhistle for the excellent explanation. I believe I'll go with the Kuhmo 857's before I do any serious long hauls. I'll keep a good eye on the tire pressure and the speed and see how the factory tires work for me this first year. They say 75MPH speed rating right on the tire, but I don't know if I trust that. Also, my logic was flawed, the "DUAL" rating means if the tires are in a dual configuration (like a dually truck), not a dual axle trailer, so the load limit is actual 1760# for each tire, not 1570# each. Big difference there, and a little embarrassed to admit my naivety.
Learning, learning, learning.
USAF Vet
Old 04-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Thanks WolfWhistle for the excellent explanation. I believe I'll go with the Kuhmo 857's before I do any serious long hauls. I'll keep a good eye on the tire pressure and the speed and see how the factory tires work for me this first year. They say 75MPH speed rating right on the tire, but I don't know if I trust that. Also, my logic was flawed, the "DUAL" rating means if the tires are in a dual configuration (like a dually truck), not a dual axle trailer, so the load limit is actual 1760# for each tire, not 1570# each. Big difference there, and a little embarrassed to admit my naivety.
Learning, learning, learning.
It was years before I had a tandem axle trailer and I thought the same thing when I first noticed it, until I asked someone. Don't be embarrassed unless you are an FR engineer! Keep the air pressure at the maximum. Get a good gauge. I might add a couple of pounds over, but only if I can depend on the gauge. I would never pull at 75mph, if nothing else for the massive decrease in fuel economy; plus if something bad happens at 75 it becomes catastrophic. I thought the 1570# you quoted was the lowest I had ever heard of, that expains it. If you load it to the max, get it to a CAT scale. You won't know side to side weight, but you will get individual axles weights and tongue weight. You can also tell how much you need to crank up your WDH.

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #55

Has anybody found a good cover that fits the rounded front end of the 27rr?
USAF Vet
Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #56

New 27RR coming home May 4th! WOOT WOOT

So my wife and I have a 2015 RZR XP1000 Desert Edition and looked high and low for a TH that had a garage deep enough to fit the RZR. The RZR is 10'6" long and therefore that eliminated all the 8x10 garaged THs. Then we got to measure a 27RR. Perfect fit! Tight, but will work. The local dealer already had one ordered with all the options and it's on the way. We will be pulling it with a 2015 RAM 2500 4wd Cummins 6.7 so the truck shouldn't be a issue.

My only concern is the RZR weighs 1700 lbs. which really limits my 'other' cargo weight. Hopefully all will be well. The RV dealer is telling me to get the E2 hitch. Any thoughts good or bad about this set up?

We are new to the TH/travel trailer thing and have been making a list of what to buy before we head out. Here is the list, If I am forgetting something, please smack me upside the head. LOL

30 amp cord
30 amp extension cord
Rhino sewer hose and extension
garden hose
water pressure regulator
water filter
90* elbow for water hose
Winegard carryout G2 for Direct TV
Direct TV receiver
RV toilet paper
Chemicals for treating tanks?
Michelob Ultra
Yeti
Michelob Ultra
Propane portable grill
Hose to connect grill to camper port
Michelob Ultra
Mat to go under awning (assuming 6x15?)
Bedding supplies
kitchen crap
bathroom crap
red sangria
broom and a mop

Is that all?
Thank you all for your input!!!
Gil
Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Has anybody found a good cover that fits the rounded front end of the 27rr?
^^^^^What he said^^^^^^ I am looking for a cover as well. It 'seems' to me that a cover would be $ well spent to preserve and protect the toy hauler. If you dis-agree, please speak your mind now.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #58

While I'm asking all the stupid newbie questions, what has everyone paid for their 27RR? I know this is a tacky question, but it would comfort me knowing that 21000.00 OTD including all options from Forest River and a E2 hitch is a decent deal. I don't want my dealer to sell it to me for 0 profit, but would prefer that they didn't party like a rockstar for years to come from the commission from my deal. LOL

I feel I could have saved 1500.00 buying from Indiana and having it delivered, but then my local dealer would put me on the back burner if anything ever went wrong.
Does this make sense?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #59

I asked my dealer about the cover when I bought my first RR. They told me not to cover it because it can do more damage than good. I never looked into it further. I'm not sure if that's true or not but never put much thought into it. I plan on putting mine in a carport type structure in the near future.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #60

Some other items I carry.
Flashlight, assorted spare batteries, small gas grill, tool kit, VOM, cable and lock for rzr, lawn chairs, laptop, small air compressor (I keep it in my rzr), some type of blocks for leveling.

Tags
grey wolf