Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

295Wp Frame Issues. What years. 2011? Run away from Deal?

Looking at a 2011 295WP and came across frame threads regarding bad pinbox frames. What years are bad for this?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #2

not sure what years exactly but looks like up to 2010 maybe or atleast lippert has now said in an e-mail the 295 was started in 2008 and another mod or change to the design in 2010. I have not had any issues with my upper deck but the canadian ntsha site say a recall on forestriver and keystone fifth wheel camper for upper deck failure from 2000 to 2011 so who knows really. I did buy 2x 8.5" round inspection covers to so that i could keep an eye on the frame inside of the nose section and see if it is indeed a rectangle tube in there as apposed the manufactured i beam it looked like they had been using in all the pics of all the posts i have been able to find on many diff sites on the web. all the pics showed a manufactured i beam structure and horrible welds. mine does have horrible welds as well. 1 st year students could do better than this imo.

for what it is the toy hauler isn't too bad I guess. the 5k axle aren't enough and they should've used and should use 7k axles on 16" rims running 235 80 16 tires imo and they should equip all units with ez flex equalizers along with shocks. if you are looking at a new one which looks like you can buy 2013 model right now for $25k out the door with all the same options I have. have them install the trail air tri glide air ride pin box and add the ez flex equalizer to the leaf springs and shocks when you buy that way you can add it to the loan. this will soften the blow to the upper deck and make for an incredible ride behind the truck. the 235 80 16 wheels sure make the camper feel like it pulls a lot easier too. they can be added and if need be you can order a new camper built with these mods for under $27k new too! i just looked into it. I do not have the tri glide air pin box but I did buy an air ride fifth hitch. 1 other thing would be to ask for toilet that is plumbed better cause the 45 angles they use tend to plug it up so either they drop it in the deep side or they put in writing they will fix the other every time parts and labor for 2 years lol the 2011 295 we bought, even though the web site says Unloaded Vehicle Weight7,838 lbs. (3,555 kg) the sticker in our door says 8240 lbs and this unit doesn't have too many options and is gel coat not aluminum sided. the fit and finish is close if you use your thumb from the door way lol but not bad. the shower base should've been 4" shorter like the 2013 model i saw for myself 5' 11" to use w/o needing the skylight to stand up and then only barely! the cabinets as you walk in the door are too close to the door so watch your head or line the edge with roll bar foam. way to many cabinets for us anyway. the convection oven is a huge waste and not worth a crap, a gas stove works better. they didn't put the exhaust fan over the cook top which my wife misses and the 30 amp power is no where enough if you want to run the convection oven and ac at the same time, you pop breaker inside the camper a lot. for my app I don't believe the ramp door was built strong enough but works. the outside access and storage doors didn't seal worth a darn when we got it but i adjusted all those and the gas line straps to the bbq all broke and the gas line was laying on the axle when we got to the lake after an 6 hr drive but either than that not to bad lol. i know in most units there will be many little things that need work and catching them before you leave the lot is impossible but for the money they do work anyway. it is comfortable to have to camp and haul the sand rail to the dunes too. i am going to add the rear deck feature this summer like the xlr's have as well and the rear couch's needed to be added to the electric bed system as well for sand rails to fit which i will do as well this spring. some of the other model i saw had the couch's mounted there so I guess we just got the cheaper model. the window's in ours are clear glass and wish they were smoked like the 30 wp but I will have them tinted this spring as well. the decour or cloth seat covers really need to be brought into this century as well so the 80 year old people they have designing them really should retire lol it's not just this model it's pretty much 95% of them lol if you do order a new one make sure it's 50 amp service and 15k btu ac the 13500 ac doesn't cut it when it's 100 degrees out side and i am adding a ceiling fan as well because of this. I have a crap ton of parts sitting here waiting for warmer weather to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	25244  
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #3

another pic
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Great looking buggy you got there. Have you ever been to the st Anthony dunes with it. Those are the only other I have been to beside the dunes here in wyo but they are great. I am hoping we can make our first trip up there with our toy hauler this year.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Great looking buggy you got there. Have you ever been to the st Anthony dunes with it. Those are the only other I have been to beside the dunes here in wyo but they are great. I am hoping we can make our first trip up there with our toy hauler this year.
thanks and no i haven't but was hoping to this summer. I haven't been to killpecker either but was hoping to stop there on our return trip from st anthony's. we primarily go to little sahara in oklahoma. which toyhauler do you have?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

the 295 wolf pack is not a horrible toy hauler but is this cheap for a reason. if i had it to do over i would order it new with 50 amp service, verify a better frame if possible from forest river, loose the convection oven and replace it with a gas oven, add power awning and larger ac since the new freon is less efficient as the r22 they used to use.