Old 06-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I grew up in Illinois where traffic lane widths were mandated at 12 feet or more (at least at that time).

I moved to North Carolina where there is no such restriction. I live in a one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. One of the busy thoroughfares (maybe 50,000 vehicles/day) is Six Forks Road. It's built on a ridge with steep dropoffs on both sides. When I moved here in 1984, it was a two-lane road, probably 24 feet wide. Traffic got heavy so NC DOT re-striped it with a third lane, a left-turn lane in the middle. The new lanes were 8' wide. Full-size pickups and SUVs had maybe 6-8" between the tires and the lane stripes. Tires of dooleys and semi-trailers actually touched both lane stripes.

As time passed (maybe to 1990), traffic increased to an intolerable state and NC DOT executed a difficult and expensive plan to widen the road to 40', four 10' lanes. There are almost cliff-like dropoffs of 8-10' on the outsides of the curb-and-gutter.

The area continued to grow. (The city population grows by 36,000 people per year. That's 100 people a day. If you assume 4-person families, that's 25 new homes and apartments every day, 365 days a year!) The road again became clogged with traffic so NC DOT had to act--and they solved the problem with re-striping again! Around 2000, they striped a left-turn lane down the middle again, partitioning the 40' roadbed from four 10' lanes to five 8' lanes! Once again, full-size pickups and SUVs had maybe 6-8" between the tires and the lane stripes. Tires of dooleys and semi-trailers actually touch both lane stripes.

People drive this road at 45 mph. DW, driving south in a Yukon XL (like a Suburban) at 45 mph, slapped mirrors with a full-size pickup moving north in the left-turn lane. Lots of noise but no damage. We avoid taking the trailer on this road, although DW has done it at least once. A picture of the road is attached.

My rationale for posting this seemingly off-topic, rambling post is this: There are a lot of spots you will want to avoid, and you can't because they aren't in truckers' atlases since low bridges are not involved.

You never know when you are going to encounter a road like this in a strange town or city. In this case, you could exit I-440 on the wide bridge at Six Forks and head south to Costco for cheap gas. A couple of hundred feet down the road it necks down to the segment I've described.

Or you could be in western NC and decide to exit I-40 and take NC-80 up to Marion, a pleasant drive, but NC-80 is a narrow, twisty, two-lane road.

Hope this works out well for you.

Larry
Thanks Larry,
That's awesome!

Recurve Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #22

I still like it and think it will go great on my 21RR.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I still like it and think it will go great on my 21RR.
Hahaha!
Yep, that's me.
I post these photos just for helping any crazy people who may want to do this. 🤣
For sure, the ladder is just for me. 😎🙄
Recurve Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #24

Interestingly, I've found a photo of a new trailer with a ladder that's installed on the side by the manufacturer.
For those, who have concerned or worried about this part.
Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180727-181255_Facebook.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	182599  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 View Post
Might be easier to watch, but why do you need to watch it while you are driving? Good way to get a BIG hole in side of camper. I would move it to the back. Have never seen a factory install one on the side.Good luck hope it works and stays attached...
His trailer is a toy hauler and the back door opens up.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDNC View Post
His trailer is a toy hauler and the back door opens up.
Thanks Mark!

Tags
grey wolf