Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Advice for a potential Gray Wolf 19RR buyer.

I have been shopping around for a good toy hauler and I think I've decided on the 19RR based on what people have said in these forums and what the trailor looks like on the showroom floor.

I have a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi, the tow package, etc. The numbers for towing capacity, tongue weight are well within range as my jeep manual shows 7500 tow capacity and 710 pounds tongue weight with the class 3 hitch. Are there any other owners out there pulling these with a similar jeep as the numbers work out but I'm worried about the shorter wheel base.

Also, I'l be lugging a 2009 Softail Custom. Any suggestions as to tie downs, ramp issues, permanent wheel mounts, etc sure would be welcome.

Hoping to pull the trigger in time for the Laconia run!

Thanks,

Don

Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. I have a work and play toy hauler, and we use removable chocks, because we don't want them in the floor while we're camping. I installed my own tie downs, making sure I bolted thrm through the frame, or cross member.

I'm not going to tell you to buy one, but don't let your planned trip be your first one, as it might be disastrous. Get the trailer in time to take it somewhere close by, at least once, before your planned trip. Good Luck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Don.

I think you will want to do some weight calculations with your best guess of a fully loaded trailer. The 710lb TW limit that you listed for your Jeep will limit you.

That trailer is 4100lbs dry with a GVWR of 7500lbs. As a very rough estimate of 5700lbs loaded with options, bike and some cargo, your TW will be anywhere from 570-855lbs using 10-15% of the trailer's weight.

This is only an example for you and will vary greatly depending on your cargo and how you load.

So, it's doable but that hitch limit is an issue to be aware of. Try using the towing calculator at Changingears.com.

As for wheelbase, longer is better, of course. No way getting around that. BUT, I think this is less important than the manufacturer established weight ratings.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks windrider. If things go as planned, we'll be making a few short trips before just to get a feel for the trailor. If all goes well then I'm off!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Triguy, thanks for the towing calculator link. Clears things up.

The hitch weight on the 19RR is 574 pounds, the other specs are

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...hoice=greywolf

I still think I'm okay numbers wise but I might be missing something, so I'm searching for what I might be overlooking.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Don,
That's a dry hitch weight and isn't good for your purposes as you are interested in towing a loaded trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Triguy,

I filled in as much as I could and this is what I came up with

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

The calculator shows a max trailer weight of 4080 pounds with margin. So that leads me to ask, can I increase this with a different hitch or am I just opening up a can of worms. The Gray Wolf 19RR is the lowest weighted toy hauler I have been able to find. Starting to think I should be buying a truck before the toyhauler
Old 05-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Good job. That basically tells you the max trailer weight for your Jeep.

You can probably knock down the tongue weight perentage override from 15 to 13% max tongue weight and that increases things slightly. But the max trailer for your vehicle would still be around 5,000lbs fully loaded (using a 10% Safety margin).

It looks to me that you can certainly tow that trailer with your JGC, but would have issues when loading it with your softail plus cargo.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward1 View Post

The calculator shows a max trailer weight of 4080 pounds with margin. So that leads me to ask, can I increase this with a different hitch or am I just opening up a can of worms. The Gray Wolf 19RR is the lowest weighted toy hauler I have been able to find. Starting to think I should be buying a truck before the toyhauler
Unfortunately you cannot increase your weight ratings. You can opt to tow at the max but within the ratings. It's doable (just not recommended). A 0% safety margin and 12% TW gives you 6000lbs for the trailer fully loaded and 720lbs for the TW.

I had done that once in the past and found the truck wearing out faster and I wasn't happy towing up hills. Technically within my ratings but there was no room for error and I constantly watched my cargo (even weighing things on a scale piece by piece, which is a PITA). Kinda sucks some of the joy out of camping. I eventually upgraded the vehicle.

2012 Shamrock 233S