Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #21

Here's the bed platform "deployed".

apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #22

Ok, some "fellow", who's name I won't mention, promptly defended forest river's highly trained staff of camper extraordinaire assemblers when I said it's a "cost effective" camper assembled quickly as possible by unskilled labor. Mostly young I'm sure. Are people apologists because they feel personally butt hurt or are they paid shills for FR?? I'm just curious...

Ok, that out of the way. Let me show you what I found when I went to replace my "muffled" speakers. When I first bought the travel trailer the sound produced by the included stereo sounded mostly ok. I pulled the camper a couple miles and stayed overnight and slept with some Fleetwood Mac playing (yeah, showing my age). Next morning the sound sounded muffled. I played with the radio for a while to produce better sound then finally gave up.

So a few weeks ago I went and bought some Sony Xplode speakers to replace what I thought were cheap speakers that went to pot in one night. Then I found the cause.

And, oh by the way, this is far from the only thing I found that scared me about things I had not come across yet or could not see.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #23

But first, the end result of my efforts at fixing the sound. Even though the factory speakers were ok I had already bought new ones so I might as well put them in. The sound was better after the speaker replacement so it's all good.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #24

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #25

Now for the horror. I pulled the old speaker out only to eat an avalanche of production material refuse. Yum. And shucky darn. I figured out why my speakers sounded like crap.

Seems that when you pack loose stuff in the ceiling with nothing to protect the speakers the garbage just falls in and gets all over the cone and works itself in. Wow, must take a PHD to figure that out. Wait! I've seen idiocracy! Maybe I'm the smartest man alive..!? Nah, I think somebody just didn't give a rats.

Cleanup on aisle 6! Cleanup on aisle 6!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #26

Then, with great caution, I approach the opening with all the care of someone approaching a Florida sink hole.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #27

Yeah, that's jacked up. I've been under the fridge and have seen the absolute lack of detail where they leave the cut-outs, and saw-dust, and it's just poor. Is there that much cost savings to not clean up that crap? Take some pride in your product.

Never been in the ceiling. Would it kill them financially to put something to protect the cone from that stuff?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #28

"Damn, what is all of that crap? Did somebody pull the bench seat out of and old Studebaker and put it in a blender?"

I thought any second Willard the rat was going to zoom by in the ceiling and knock more refuse into my eyes and mouth. What was the roof actually made of? Chip board? I pushed on it with two fingers and it easily flexed... #$A%#$###...!!

So at this point I'm really glad all 345 lbs of me has not climbed on the roof yet. I don't want to ride the elevator of crumbling chip board and production refuse to the first floor thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
Yeah, that's jacked up. I've been under the fridge and have seen the absolute lack of detail where they leave the cut-outs, and saw-dust, and it's just poor. Is there that much cost savings to not clean up that crap? Take some pride in your product.

Never been in the ceiling. Would it kill them financially to put something to protect the cone from that stuff?
Yeah man, there has been "many" times I've had to get over being mad. I mean, jesus christ...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #30

Ok, just to prove I'm not "all" about being Suzy Downer let me show you something that almost made me smile with joy. I give you the 3" memory foam mattress topper. Mmmmmm, how sweet.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #31

I got it from Amazon and the measurements were 1" off in both directions. Not really much at all and damned if I don't sleep like a wee little baby on it. Not only that but it doesn't stink. Smells like mint chocolate. These are two pluses for a big and portly guy.

It had really good reviews and a lot of them. Works out very well for the two sofas made into a bed. I highly recommend. Two thumbs up.

And in case you are wondering, yes I've slept on it numerous times to verify it's comely goodness. Normally I can't sleep in because my back hurts. Best I ever make it 8:00 in the morning. I slept till past 10:00 on this. Me likes.

Linky...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQB26Y