Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Awning relocate? 27' Wolf Pack

For some reason, the awning on our 2011 27DFWP is installed in a position that does not allow the door to be opened fully with the awning open and lower struts clamped. Anyone know how feasible it would be move the entire awning 12" forward to eliminate interference? There must have been a reason why they put it where they did, but I can't for the life of me think of what it might be . Searching Web pics, it looks like the 27' had its awning placed there until the 2014 model which now appears to be in a better spot.
The entire track would have to be moved, which has been sealed in place. How much of a mess am I going to make by trying to move it?
Ideas?
ulaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulaing View Post
For some reason, the awning on our 2011 27DFWP is installed in a position that does not allow the door to be opened fully with the awning open and lower struts clamped. Anyone know how feasible it would be move the entire awning 12" forward to eliminate interference? There must have been a reason why they put it where they did, but I can't for the life of me think of what it might be . Searching Web pics, it looks like the 27' had its awning placed there until the 2014 model which now appears to be in a better spot.
The entire track would have to be moved, which has been sealed in place. How much of a mess am I going to make by trying to move it?
Ideas?
Pictures please. You can buy the rail separately and just add on to the existing one. You can also buy a specially made roller to put on the door.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Great idea Oldcoot...I hadn't thought of simply adding extra track. This would also make it easier to install a larger awning in the future if desired. I'm just a little concerned about the support from a small piece rather than the entire length? Would it be sufficient?
Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000225.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	33763  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Great idea Oldcoot...I hadn't thought of simply adding extra track. This would also make it easier to install a larger awning in the future if desired. I'm just a little concerned about the support from a small piece rather than the entire length? Would it be sufficient?
Pic attached.
Simple solution, unhook the support and stake it down on the ground and tie the awning down. Save a lot of trouble.

BTW, that's what we have to do with the power awnings when the wind comes up a little.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Simple solution, unhook the support and stake it down on the ground and tie the awning down. Save a lot of trouble.

BTW, that's what we have to do with the power awnings when the wind comes up a little.
Haha yeah I knew someone would say that
And yes we often set it up that way, but there are times when it is more convenient to leave it clamped to the trailer...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Haha yeah I knew someone would say that
And yes we often set it up that way, but there are times when it is more convenient to leave it clamped to the trailer...
Next question, why do you want the door any farther open? I would definitely put a roller on the door to keep the door edge from rubbing on the awning.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Next question, why do you want the door any farther open? I would definitely put a roller on the door to keep the door edge from rubbing on the awning.
It would be nice to be able to utilize the catch when only using screen door. The door already has minor damage from banging against the strut (guests, kids, wind....). right now we have to use bungee cord.

The roller is probably a good idea, although we haven't really had any issues with the door rubbing on the awning. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Put a pool noodle on the strut and continue to use the bungees. Much easier and simpler.