Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

bathroom issues

well i have a question maybe someone can answer, I have an 2011 295 fifth wolf pack toy hauler. it just went out of warranty and I have had it in 3 times under warranty for the toilet plugging up. i owned a 2006 30 wp before and am doing nothing different than that one but in the fifth 295 wp you can plug that toilet sooooo easy. the guys at leach campers in lincoln ne say there is no knock out cap stuck in it and with there camera they can't see any problems but they think they dropped the toilet tube in the shallow side of the tank and when the wasted drops down it lands inches below the tube and doesn't wash away. well they think anyway so has anyone had this problem and what is the cure or is there one?
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

From the roof vent for the black tank, measure till you hit the bottom of the tank then pull the tape measure slowly up until you hook the bottom of the vent pipe. The difference is how far above the tank floor to the toilet pipe. You may be able to gently(but with force) lift the pipe up some.. Oh, when your are done measuring, you either want to throughly clean the tape or discard....
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
I have had it in 3 times under warranty for the toilet plugging up.
When you say toilet plugging, do you mean material building up directly under the toilet well before the tank is full or when you empty the tank tank?

If it's building up directly under the toilet, the drop pipe into the black tank maybe too long.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
From the roof vent for the black tank, measure till you hit the bottom of the tank then pull the tape measure slowly up until you hook the bottom of the vent pipe. The difference is how far above the tank floor to the toilet pipe. You may be able to gently(but with force) lift the pipe up some.. Oh, when your are done measuring, you either want to throughly clean the tape or discard....

lol ya I have a few disposable tapes to use lol i will have to try this but it's not the vent that plugs or what I think anyway but will have to look at it now.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
When you say toilet plugging, do you mean material building up directly under the toilet well before the tank is full or when you empty the tank tank?

If it's building up directly under the toilet, the drop pipe into the black tank maybe too long.

Dave
what happens is you will use it 3 or 4 times then on the last time someone flushs, it backs up and is ready to overflo! the toliet tube looks to be 3" dia down to the tank which it drops out of the toilet through the floor and then turns rt, through the storage compartment, heads over a bit and then drops straight down into the tank, through the lower floor, which would be the rt side of the tank basically. the end of that tube in the tank is where the dealer said it might have been shoved down to far and the wastes isn't washing away but they didn't do and or wouldn't do anything other than tell me to flush with more water. now when I took it in this third time i flushed the tank till i had clean water coming out and it had not back up yet but since it was there for other warranty work I asked them if they had a camera to look down it to see if the knock out was lodged somewhere. the gauges quit working and I had winterized it already so they put a hose down the toilet and it back up on them pretty quick so something did move from the base of the tube or something. they have just made suggestions and now it's out of warranty so i guess I get to fix it. just wondering if i'm the only one or if there is a cure. i can't see the tube entering the tank because of the floor int he storage area so if they attached that with a rubber boot i may pull it out and see what i see i guess. the dealer I took it too was leach campers in lincoln ne.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

I guess a good question would be do they attach that pipe with a rubber boot or glue it solid? I have never tore into that part of a camper before and really don't care to but..... i guess i get too! lol i replaced floors in a couple campers so i can tackle this but a little info before going into it doesn't hurt form those that might have been there and done that( btdt).
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the problem is where the toilet connection enters the tank. Seeing that you've had this issue 3X during the warranty and it's still not resolved, you should press the dealer and Forest River to try to resolve it even though the warranty is over.

if you'd rather DIY, you could try to remove the entire drainpipe bewteen the toilet and the tank. Hopefully there's a mechanical connection at either end, then you can see what's what in the pipe and tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

thanks for the info and i could and still may at that but given the quality of repairs leach camper sales have made so far I am not impressed! givin i can be a bit of anal person on things some times but still.... i'm 5'11" and 190, wifes 5'4" at 107 lbs so it's not like someones taking a rhino dump in there and they keep telling me we are not using enough water when we flush. lol i design and build sand rails for person apps that have to be overbuilt and of show quality so when it comes to campers well it's just not there i guess. it doesn't look like there's a union at the toilet end but i'll have to check deeper when it's above 20* here. i am glad it backed up on them this time instead of me lol
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

i had an 06 30 wp toy hauler ( bumper hitch ) before this one and really like the layout over this one. only problem i had with it was towing which that was scary. this 295 where it is new, i can handle having to do small repairs myself while were camping like adjusting doors, adjusting draws, fixing the electric bunk bed track, securing the skirting brackets, sealing up the ac unit from the outside better and re-attaching the gas line under the frame for the bbq but when the wife comes out and says the toilet is plugged again that just gets frustrating lol!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

did call and talk to the tech himself today. he said one other possibility is the 2 - 45's used in the sewer line. he said he has seen where solids get caught in those and start the plug up. i shot an e-mail to forest river to see what they have to say i guess before i tear into it. overall i like the toy hauler.