Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Build Differences?

I was at a local RV dealer in Southern California who carries the Forest River Grey Wolf line. They had two 2019 22RRs on the lot, literally parked next to each other. I am leaning towards this trailer. But, with the two next to each other, i was surprised to find subtle differences in how they were built. Things like the appliances were different brands, the interior doors opened in different directions, lights and switches in different places. The most frustrating part is the sales guy "hadn't noticed" but frankly was way more interested in if we were buying than what he had in the lot. I hate when I know more about the product than the sales guy...

Anyway, just wondering if build differences across the same model units is common industry wide or if it is more an indication of quality control with this particular brand. What are your thoughts?
ernster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
I was at a local RV dealer in Southern California who carries the Forest River Grey Wolf line. They had two 2019 22RRs on the lot, literally parked next to each other. I am leaning towards this trailer. But, with the two next to each other, i was surprised to find subtle differences in how they were built. Things like the appliances were different brands, the interior doors opened in different directions, lights and switches in different places. The most frustrating part is the sales guy "hadn't noticed" but frankly was way more interested in if we were buying than what he had in the lot. I hate when I know more about the product than the sales guy...

Anyway, just wondering if build differences across the same model units is common industry wide or if it is more an indication of quality control with this particular brand. What are your thoughts?
I've come to believe that there are some good sales people out there. There are also LOTS of folks who know just enough to let them ply sales skills. I had one who was willing to remove a dinette and put in free standing table/chairs. FR would not build this way. Reason is, the dinette seat was over the water heater. Without the seat there would be an intrusion into the area where the chairs would go.

Needless to say, we found another dealer who actually knew his stuff. Happily their service has also been above average.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Check the build dates on the two.
It isn't uncommon for changes during model year.
Often times they build with whatever is available. (such as the case with appliances)

With that said, I've not seen them mount doors that opened differently on like models but if they did a mid-year model change, maybe so.

Anything can (and does) happen in the R/V industry.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Yep, build dates make a difference as RV manufacturers often make mid-season changes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

Forest river does make changes mid year or anytime in their trailers. My dads rpod is a 2018 and is different than other 2018’s we’ve walked through. Also my 17 wolfpup 17rp has a higher axle rating than 17rp models that came out one month later even though they have the exact same axle.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #6

The changes for a given model year change don't all go into effect at once!

I toured the Flagstaff/Rockwood plant last year during the International Rally. The plant builds multiple models in batches - a couple of days of model x, then model y, then model z.....
It was mentioned that it takes 3 cycles of build to get all the changes into production..

IE. build a batch of model x and apply 1/3 of new year modifications,
build batches of other models
build another batch of model x, these have 2/3s of modifications...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know that the differences may be due to build date(s) as opposed to no rhyme or reason.
ernster500 is offline   Reply With Quote