Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Building a RV port

I need to build a 40 x 24 RV port with at least 14' side walls,preferably 16' for our new 315wp which is 13-6 tall. Where we are in antrim county mi you cannot build any structure with sidewalls higher than 12' with out engineered plans.I have looked all over and have not found engineer stamped plans for a post or even the steel kit structures.Has anyone else run into this and how did you overcome it? The thing is,it will be sitting right next to my shop building which is 72 x 42 x 14 high.It was exempt from the engineer thing because it was built as an agricultural building (it has horse stalls and tack in one end) even though its fully insulated,finished, and heated with plumbing.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Sounds like u need two tack rooms. Lol. Telephone poles or if u go steel and can't get anyone to build it 14 feet u may have to lay a couple rows of block then set on top.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #3

"Engineered plans" Could this be as simple as a diagram for the roof trusses? I have 14' wall on my polebarn, and had to submit a drawing of the roofline and truss system. My contractor handled all of that at permit time, and had no problems with anything.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Pole barn here requires no plans other than a sketch and is a non taxable bldg. because its not permanent . If I was going to do it here I would hire the Amish down the road to do it and they make it look nice. There are no walls so I think you could get around that height problem. I've been wanting to do this also and my next house will get one built.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

Talking

The engineered drawing for the truss system always comes with the trusses from the mfg. Engineered drawings for a "building" means everything from the footing up to and includeing the truss carriers.

Mark,they are hungry up here,I think they would tax us for a garbage shed if it was attached to the ground!

I just might have to have some new hay storage this spring.......http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons/icon10.gif
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

I had a similar RV garage built here in Tucson. I ended up going with a steel building, 45 x 20, with 15 ft side walls (to accommodate a 14 ft door) and 17 ft peak (might need more in snow country...)

Anyway, the building was engineered by a local engineering company for (as I recall) about $800. This included drawings for everything from the footings, to the posts, to the purlins ... and the various connections between the pieces. The engineering was arranged by the building contractor (who seemed to handle as little as possible!) so the engineer was probably well versed in steel buildings and local zoning/permit requirements.

FYI, total cost on the building, from permits, clearing land and pouring concrete to insulation, electrical and inspections, will be around, or a bit under, $40k.

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

I'm still deciding on a spot to level and build mine. Good luck with it and a hay loft sounds good to me.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
The engineered drawing for the truss system always comes with the trusses from the mfg. Engineered drawings for a "building" means everything from the footing up to and includeing the truss carriers.

Mark,they are hungry up here,I think they would tax us for a garbage shed if it was attached to the ground!

I just might have to have some new hay storage this spring.......http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons/icon10.gif
Ny is the same way it taxes the crap out of us just so we can send relief to NYC
Yet they haven't started taxing us on a non permanent bldg. As long as there is no foundation you can put it up tax free still requires bldg. permit but is easy to get through.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #9

I know your planning to have something more substantial built but I had a 20 x 41 with 9 foot sides. I could have gone taller but did not need to for my rig which is only 10.5' tall. The builder provided the engineering plans for free. I had to have a permit mostly for wind speed. I submitted the plans to the county and they approved it. I checked with another steel building provider and they wanted to charge for the plans.

The best part about this RV Port is that they had it up in four hours!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #10

I have tried in Leelanau county also. The only way I think it will work is with a block wall to take it up the two feet