Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #91

Thanks guys, for all the useful information on how to get your bike up the ramp and into the RV. I will know what to do when I get me one,probably around November.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #92
itch'n to road trip

I will have to check it out and post photos... I love the idea!

Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #93

Great thread Tom. Thanks for the link.

Sportster
...customization in process!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #94

Sway bars?

Looking for comments as to whether or not sway bars are needed to pull your Gray Wolf 19RR. I am pulling mine with a 2007 Tundra and it seems to work fine without but have only went a total of about 7,500 miles.

Yes, no, maybe so and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #95

Rogsher97;

I will try to respond to your question, but the larger the truck the better it performs without load/sway control. The 2007 Tundra is the new body style and much heavier duty than the original and my 2003 Seqouia is based on the older model Tundra. I guess you have already proven with 7500 miles of towing that the answer could be "No" you don't need them, but how often do you have sway encounters? I would think with the new Tundra and having leaf springs versus the coils they put in the Sequoia SUV you don't have a real need for the load assistance the sway bars offer. I can tell you my Sequoia almost sits on the axle (compresses the coil springs all the way) without the load/sway bars when I am fully loaded.

I have pulled a tandem axle, 4500 lb boat trailer for years with my Sequoia without trailer brakes to boot (keeping boat trailer brakes functional when you launch your boat in salt water regularly is a futal effort). While my boat does not block as much wind and has far less tongue weight I have gotten by without sway/load control on my trailer, but I have had experience while slowing down (not braking, but letting off the gas) going down hill where my boat starts to sway. For that, I would like sway control on the boat, but I doubt I would invest in the parts to do it.

I do know with the Reese straight-line weight/sway control I have on my 19RR and nice (functioning) electric brakes, the trailer pulls like a dream (except the 4.7l small block V8 in the Sequoia does work pretty hard moving the weight). I have never had one instance of sway issue with large semi's coming by (they still move me over slightly when the wind coming off them hits me, but no sway) or going down hill. I feel the $700 for the Reese system was well worth it and allows me to load the thing down without my Sequoia's nose pointing in the air!

I guess my final answer would be Maybe with the nice 2007 Tundra.... (do you have the 4.6 or the 5.7l V8?.... not that this matters for load or sway).

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #96
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogsher97 View Post
Looking for comments as to whether or not sway bars are needed to pull your Gray Wolf 19RR. I am pulling mine with a 2007 Tundra and it seems to work fine without but have only went a total of about 7,500 miles.

I can only tell you that yesterday I pulled from Wisconsin/Illinois state line to London Kentucky. I have never used the weight dist. and sway control before. But based on the first expirience, I will never pull without it again. Honestly, it makes a huge differance! Specifically, the sway control.

So, do you need it? I'd have to say no. Should you want it? I would have to say yes!

I actually enjoyed the expirience I felt much more in control.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #97

An added note to the ramp / bike loading theme of the thread. We headed out yesterday and instead of loading the scoot with the long ramp I got at Lowe's, I used a short ramp from one of the roll-up ramps in our garage. (roll you car up on em to change the oil & such) MUCH less nervousness about being out in mid air on a ramp.
I had plenty of clearance using the yellow wheel chocks under the back of the ramp and pulling the front end of the trailer up about 2-3".
For unloading, I didn't jack the front up as much and still had about an inch under the bike when rolling it out.

All in all - very easy, very safe and no kickstand springs to buy this time. WOOT!

But we're burnin daylight here on thei computer....bye bye now

Sportster
...time to ride baby
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogsher97 View Post

Yesterday we pulled form Kansas City to Springfield, MO with our 19rr. Using the Stabilizer Hitch, (the one with the bars) and we had no issues. No sway, no buffeting from passing trucks or running 65-70 mph next to em. Highly recommend it. Won't tow any distance without it.

Sportster
...nope, not gonna do it
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #99

Here's a picture of the ramp and how I'm loading & unloading my scoot. The short ramp is great and allows for less nervousness on my part, being stuck out on a ramp where I can't reach the terra ferma with my feet.

Enjoy.

Sportster
...works like a charm
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #100

Thanks Sportster for all the info and the picture on how to load the bike. I haven't bought 19RR yet, but could you tell me if you load a bike, do you have room to get to bedroom without taking the bike out? (I have a heritage solftail).
Thanks. I am looking at getting a toy hauler around Nov or Dec.