Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #111

Mine will go off if my batteries go low.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #112

Thanks KevinB. I don't think it is a battery issue with mine, because I keep my 19RR plugged into 120VAC Power all the time when it is stored beside my home. What the dealer told me is that often when trailer's are new the paneling out-gasses when the trailer is hot. Since it is about to become our cool season, I told my dealer that what if this is just heat related and comes back next summer after my 1 year warranty is over? They said they made note of my request and that if during the peak of the heat of next summer I have the same issue and that by then the new paneling should have completed its "out-gassing" they would replace it. In the meantime, I just put an insulated in-line spade receptacle and I disconnect power to it when I am storing the trailer.

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #113

Ive been reading your posts and how ya'll are happy with your TH.
I have been looking at TH's for a long time and finally narrowed it down and soon ready to purchase. Im set on a the Greywolf 19rr. I love it, simple, permanent front bed etc etc.
Question to ya'll. I see 2 kinds of siding, one is a smooth gel sided TH, and the other is this alumiunum layered type siding.

I prefer the smooth gel side but it is about 1500 more. any input on the alum corrugated like sided toyhaulers?

thanks..

ill be ambitiously driving from california to the east to pick up my TH then back. even with the cost of gas etc, its a better deal and i like the compactness of the 19rr
jason
Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #114

Fiberglass versus Aluminun

Hey Jason;

The fiberglass siding comes at a premium as you have noticed. I believe the fiberglass gives you a slight weight advantange and a better overall sealed siding. I went with the aluminum due to the price and I was surprised that the corrigated aluminum is actully in sheets, so as you go up the side of the trailer there are separate runs of this aluminum and you can push in on it as make a gap (discovered this chasing ants going up the side of my trailer). The aluminum is in strips, like siding on a house.

One could argue which is easier to repair since you could buy sections of this aluminum siding, but repairing either is a lot of work, more so with the painting and color matching whether you are replacing aluminum sections or putting down cloth and epoxy to repair fiberglass.

One thing I have noticed on my trailers and others, it seems like the fiberglass might be a little harder to maintain a nice, showroom sheen. I don't want to say fiberglass is not weather resistance because it is, but on my 19RR, the entry door and the rear gate are fiberglass and they sure show the dirt and get dirty looking much quicker than the glossy painted aluminum. Not having mine a year, I have already had to wax (clean) the fiberglass door to get it clean and glossy versus the rest of the trailer I simply wash now and then. I guess one could argue that the door gets dirtier because you are going in and out of it so this section gets more use and touching.

If you are marginal on your tow vehicle (mid size SUV or truck with a V6), it might be worth going fiberglass since most of the ultra-lite trailers seem to use fiberglass for a weight savings. I would argue which looks nicer. I have heard sales people say the fiberglass makes your trailer look more modern since it is the newer material, but I like my shiny corrigated aluminum siding versus a dull smooth, flat siding of the fiberglass siding.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #115

We ordered the aluminum siding for our TH. We had a '86 Prowler TT for years that has the aluminum siding and it always looked good (shiny). I figured we would go with the same siding, plus it's not as heavy as the fiberglass gel.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #116

thanks much Tom and Ed. You mean the Fiberglass gel side is lighter right?

can ya'll help me with a measurement. Ill be making a rack so my kart will sit on top of an atv. I will be removing the rear sofa seat. i need the measurement of the wall to the kitchen cabinet.

I think i will gel side, sealing etc was a concern.

thank you in advance, jason

Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #117

Hi Jason;

I have some numbers for you. From the wall to the kitchen cabinet: From the wall to the lip of the counter top is 69", but some of the cabinet doors and handles protrude beyond the lip of the counter top. If you want to clear those, I would go with 67.5". If you are getting the gas oven (option) you might want to go with 66.5 since the handle of the oven sticks out even further but many 19RR's just come with a stove and a microwave, and no oven.

As far as from the rear wall to the tire hump, it is 56.5", but then again, there is a hinged piece of diamond plate for transitioning between the ramp door and the trailer floor. With the ramp door closed, that diamond plate takes up about 1.5 to 2", so again on the safe side I would plan on 54.5".

As far as fiberglass (with gel coat) versus aluminum, I don't want to get in a dispute with Ed or anyone else since I don't have the hard numbers (something FR should be able to provide). Being a boater for many years, I too first felt the fiberglass sided RV's must be heavier than aluminum considering the weight of both materials, but looking at how most the ultra light RV's are fiberglass, I believe it is not simply the difference in weight of the two materials, but being able to not use some of the support material behind the aluminum by using a fiberglass, epoxy, composite, gel-coat sheet material.

To be safe, I would check with FR on the dry weight spec's of both the aluminum and fiberglass sided trailers to be sure.

Tom

P.S. Jason - when you start making your modifications, please take photos and check out this other blog that many of us are posting our mods (Pimping) on this forum Pimp my 19RR!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #118

Thanks much Tom, I cant wait, im making all these plans, i dont even have the TH yet!. Im plannin on doing it in March next year. Taking some vacation time. Road trip to the East and back to CA. I was first looking at the 27HFS (search it on ebay) its about $20k. Really nice but i realized, I'm in this sport that i do essentially by myself. My brother has different interests, my other buddy left the sport. So realistically this small 19rr is perfect and I can justify it more BUdget wise.

I will make use of the space, the right rear corner next to entrance will be a shelf/ table with a drill press bolted on. compartment up top and probably air compressor in the bottom. The space can be used if designed right. I need to put weight in the right side since an atv and a kart will be on the leftish.

You said the wheel well is 56.5, I think my atv will just about fit before the tire hits the wheel well. Atv wheel base is 49.2. Ill be making a rack so my kart will be on top of the atv. Basically where i go, i haul both a kart and atv, if not atv alone.
Thanks again, i might bother you again for more measurements! I think i really want the gel side...

Tom do you know these measurements below? I think it will be tight for me to fit everything but doable. thanks much

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #119

by the way tom, are you sure 56 for the rear wall till it meets the wheel hump? i know pics are decieving but from the pics, it looks like it should be shorter than that. Dont mean to doubt your measuring, jus wondering if u made a mistake! thanks again jason
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #120

No dispute here Tom. It would be interesting to see which siding is heavier than the other.

nailit is offline   Reply With Quote