Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #21

Speaking of spare tire, Where did you guys put yours?
I just have mine under the bed, along with the jack and needed tools.
Was curious if there is a better solution. Thanks Cliff
HDCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #22

Hi!!

That is where the dealer says to stow it. How big is that area under the bed? I was thinking, if it can be done, to maybe put it under the propane tanks. Sort of like how they store spare tires under the bed of trucks... Your thoughts?
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Hi!!

That is where the dealer says to stow it. How big is that area under the bed? I was thinking, if it can be done, to maybe put it under the propane tanks. Sort of like how they store spare tires under the bed of trucks... Your thoughts?
Hi Stargazer.
Actually there is quite a bit of storage under the bed. Enough for the tire with room to spare.
Never thought of it, but I went out and measured mine sitting level on the parking area. From the bottom of the frame, there is 14.5" of ground clearance. The tire measures 8.5" sidewall to sidewall. Not much clearance, even on a flat surface. At some point, a dip or bump would have to make contact. Not to mention the amount of extra work to unmount it when needed. IMHO, too much work and risk for nothing gained.
If I need the extra storage under the bed, I'll just throw it in the bed of the truck.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #24

I just wanted to say, that I like how this thread has turned into an informative, respectful and open discussion from 19RR current/future owners. I learn something new every time I read it.
Thanks to CampnQueen for starting it
Makes me feel like I made the right decision when I bought this model last year.
Hopefully, our paths will cross one day and we can share our stories/experiences/Mods over a warm campfire.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #25

Yes indeed!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #26

I thought I heard or saw on one of the dealer's websites about an optional swing arm spare tire holder. I would have to research this, but if you could find one similar to some of the SUV's that mount the tire on the back of the vehicle, you could mount this swing arm to the rear, left (drivers side) corner of the 19RR and then just swing the spare out of the way when lowering the ramp.

Again, I will have to do some digging and I DON'T think this is a factory option from Forest River, so if you bought an after market spare tire holder, you would have to make sure what you bolt it to on the trailer is strong enough to support it.
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #27

Hi
We find the 19rr has lots of storage space for out needs. So we just store the tire under the bed. Our unit came with aluminum binds. The one in the bed area gets hit at night. We will likey put a film on the window and leave the blind up. Has anyone else come up with a better solution? thx doug
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf
I thought I heard or saw on one of the dealer's websites about an optional swing arm spare tire holder. I would have to research this, but if you could find one similar to some of the SUV's that mount the tire on the back of the vehicle, you could mount this swing arm to the rear, left (drivers side) corner of the 19RR and then just swing the spare out of the way when lowering the ramp.

Again, I will have to do some digging and I DON'T think this is a factory option from Forest River, so if you bought an after market spare tire holder, you would have to make sure what you bolt it to on the trailer is strong enough to support it.
I am calling my dealer on Monday to see if that is an option.... Thanks for that heads up!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Our unit came with aluminum binds. The one in the bed area gets hit at night. We will likey put a film on the window and leave the blind up.
Good point Doug and unfortunately, I know exactly which window you are referring to. I wake myself up several times a night banging it with my head or arm. The film would be a great idea as long as it was dark enough and doesn't interfere with your emergency escape. I'll have to check into that.
I was thinking along the lines of extending the plywood foundation at the foot of the bed about 6"s. Then put some sort of a buffer between the wall and the head of the mattress. Except for storage while traveling, I don't really need the space at the end of the bed anyway.
Also want to install some sort of piston device (forget the proper term) inside the under bed storage area. Something that will support the weight of the plywood and bedding to hold it open while loading and unloading the space. Any ideas? Cliff
Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf View Post
if you could find one similar to some of the SUV's that mount the tire on the back of the vehicle
Again my experience is limited, but a warning for those with spare tires mounted on the rear door of an SUV.
While backing the trailer into the driveway with my H3, at some point the spare tire met the trailer jack handle. The end result was a handle bent up against the jack itself. I had to bang it out in order to be able to crank the jack down. There isn't much room if you have a rear mounted spare on an SUV.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Hey Fellow Graywolfer's (Mod 19RR),

We replaced our window blinds (in the bed-birth) with top down, bottom up, black out shades from one of those online blind places. We removed our boxy valance/cornice thingys (like it better). The shades work so wonderful! Our dogs will sleep in late now! wish I had them for my house

Keep our spear tire under the bed too.

But we ARE getting a better mattress...the one that came with the camper just didn't cut it...so now we are sleeping on a an Aerobed that keeps leaking...gggrrrrrrr! So we are having an Original Mattress Factory bed made for our trailer... (have two at the house and love them!)

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Hey HDCliff...
you are welcome!!! So fun to share info..great ideas!!
We all need to get together and go camping! How fun would that be?
Anyone else in?

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #33

HDCliff-what do you use to tie-down and chalk your Harley?
Campnqueen-Who added your outside shower?
HDFLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #34
itch'n to road trip

Hello HDFLST,

We had our outside shower added at the dealer where we purchased it.. "The Outpost RV" in Elkhart IN. I am sure you dealer or Camping World can do the same. Contact FR to see where you local dealer is that can do the job. Hood luck!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #35

Thanks.
HDFLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFLST View Post
HDCliff-what do you use to tie-down and chalk your Harley?
Up to this point, I have just left it on the jiffy stand, locked the bars and ratcheted it down at the corners.
If you do this, remove the windshield. My left pin got into the paint on the tank during the first trip (lesson learned).
Tom sent me a link on a chock system that looked interesting.
Thanks Tom!
Bolt It On, Serious Racks
Once I solve my ramp issue, this is something I am going to focus on.
Definitely want to get a non-skid rubber mat to put down before loading the bike.
Something I can roll up and put out of the way once there.
Ride safe
Cliff
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #37

Paula,
Do you have any links to the shades and Mattress you referred to?
Very interested in checking that out.
Cliff
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #38

Hi all!
Been riding for 30+ years and bought a 19rr this year. After tearing off the jiffy-leg (kickstand) spring on my 02 FLHTPI (Cop Electra Glide) this weekend, we'll be doing something different with the ramp. Thankfully, the Blue Springs Harley dealer (we stayed local for our first trip) stayed open late so I could get the part and get the scoot fixed up. We have an 8' ramp other than the trailer ramp so we'll be using the cheap method of bracing up the trailer ramp with a 4x4 and running the ramp up the trailer ramp. Will also be using the trailer jacks to lessen the severity of the ramp angle. Saves on jiffy-stand springs ya know?

2012 Grey Wolf 19rr
2008 Ford F-250 Super cab, 6.4 PSD, Banks Ram Air intake, Banks Ottoman Tune, DPF back delete, 4" straight
1992 H-D FLSTC 95/102 at the rear
2002 FLHTPI, 89/101 at the rear
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCliff View Post
Paula,
Do you have any links to the shades and Mattress you referred to?
Very interested in checking that out.
Cliff
HDCliff,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.. we got the blackout shdaes.

Blinds.com - 3/8" Double Cell Blackout Shades

And the mattress is form Original Mattress Factory...they have several models to chose form... they will make on for you rv..call and ask... can even be hinged to get it into the rv.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #40

Hello,

Just bought a 2012 19rr and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. I live in Texas but will be picking it up in IN at the Out post RV. Thank you for all of your post as they were helpful to me in making my decision on the 19rr. Am very excited and will post after I pick it up. See ya.
USMC0369 is offline   Reply With Quote