Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #141

Hope to get my new 19rr by the end of this month. When I sold my other trailer to buy this one I let the Equalizer hitch go with it. I figured it was a little heavier than what I would need for the 19rr. (It was a much heavier trailer, 6400lb dry weight) What would you guys recomend for towing the 19rr. I have been looking at the Fastway E2 hitches, just not sure of the size. Couldn't decide between the 6000lb model or 8000lb model. I really want to stay away from the chain style. I talked to a guy at Equalizer and he told me to get the 12000lb! Just didn't make sense to me. If that's what I truly need I should have kept the one off the old trailer. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #142

RKSWYO, I think that recommendation would depend a lot on what your tow vehicle is. I have a 1st Generation 2003 Toyota Sequoia and with the SUV's they put coil springs on them versus the Tundra (pickup) has leaf springs. Therefore my Sequoia gets quite the "saggy bottom" with even the 400 lbs of tongue weight of the 19RR. I bought a Reese "Straight Line" series hitch with 800# bars. The Straightline series is a cam based sway control built right into the leveling bars, so there is no separate shock that does the anti-sway and then bars for the leveling.

I am very happy with my Reese Straight line hitch after pulling a 3500# tandem axle boat trailer for years with my Sequoia that didn't have any leveling, sway or trailer brakes. Pulling the 19RR is a dream compared to the boat, though the 19RR is heavier and has much more wind-drag than the boat, so you still know the small block 4.7l V8 is working hard. I have heard from others with the 2nd Generation Tundra's with the 5.7l V8 and much more trailer towing ability pull their 19RR's without any load leveling or sway control. I guess it just depends if the $800 for a hitch like this (installed) is worth to you. It has to help when you get in side winds or when a semi blows by you, even if you have a HD truck that doesn't need the load leveling help.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #143

My current tow vehicle is a 2008 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins diesel. I also have air bags on the suspension. I have contemplated towing the 19rr without the equalizer hitch. I will at least try it when I get the trailer and see how it does. This trailer will be considerably smaller than the one I just sold. Just curious what everybody else is using.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #144

Wow! A 3/4 ton diesel! You have a "real" tow vehicle. Trailer weight and tongue weight will not be a problem for you. As far as sway control, I guess you can wait and see.

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #145

I know weight wise with the diesel it will not be a problem. I,m hopeful that I will not need the equalizer. Eventually I plan to go back to a 1/2 ton gasser. I am really anxious to pull the 19RR and see how it does. Sway control is my main concern.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I know weight wise with the diesel it will not be a problem. I,m hopeful that I will not need the equalizer. Eventually I plan to go back to a 1/2 ton gasser. I am really anxious to pull the 19RR and see how it does. Sway control is my main concern.
dont worry about sway, it will take a lot more to sway a 3/4 ton diesel.

i tow my 19rr with a gasser 3/4 ton chevrolet + truck as a 700lbs box and i can barelly feel the trailer behind me... only major feel is in my wallet when i stop at the pump...i am getting 100 miles less on my gas tank then if id be driving without the trailer.
braz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #147

I took it on it's maiden voyage last weekend. 30 psi in the air bags, sway control unit only and it pulls like a dream. Like you said you don't even know its back there. That was with my ATV and a full tank of water. I averaged 14.5 mpg in hilly terrain.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #148
RV Dealer

Post $15 Ramp Solution - Best Practice for Loading Bikes with Low Clearance

Hi all, the factory asked me to post some thoughts about loading and unloading bikes with low clearance. Being a dealership, we occasionally load show bikes with very low clearance (sometimes just 2") into the various models.

To this day, we have not had a bike we couldn't load using this simple method.

Camping Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #149
RV Dealer

There you go, it's our best and cheapest idea.
Camping Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #150

Did someone call that the "Tip the Trailer" method some months ago?

Thanks for the pics Kyle. Pictures are worth a thousand words versus how I tried describing this option months ago. Just need a second person to hold the bike in place while strapping it down (or to lower the trailer back to level while someone holds the bike). Works, but I don't think I would trust my wheel chock to hold the bike in place with the trailer at that angle until I strap it down. Glad to have some dealer representation on this thread. Feel free to checkout "Pimp my 19RR" too. Your dealer might consider how RKSWYO closed in the cabinet over the couch versus your current dealer option.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-13769-17.html

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #151

Here's the only thing I'd add to that. That's exactly what I do to put the bike in the TH. I however add one step in the process which I will outline in the pics below. Putting chocks under the ramp and bridge it with a ramp off an oil change ramp/stand and you've got a TON of clearance.

Jacking up the front then doing this makes f or an easy entry/exit without tearing off jiffy-leg springs (see previous post in regards) The ramp stays in the bed of the truck and the chocks...well we seem to have an abundance of them floatin around. You could do the same w/ wood blocks too if you're extra thrifty.

Great stuff!

Sportster
...parts stay on bike - we like that
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #152

Hi all, we're getting ready to purchase our 1st RV, and I am seriously considering the 21 RR. It will carry my wife and I, our medium size Sheba, and our GL1800 Goldwing. I plan on using my 07 Tundra 4door as the tow vehicle. Any reason not to get a used one? Thanks for any input. We plan on traveling all over the US with it when I retire in Dec 2012.
ednotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #153

Welcome Ednotes. As far as getting a used 21RR, they might be hard to find since the 21RR just came out less than 1 year ago and will be 2012 models. If you find one and someone traded it in, most likely the used camper dealers will try to charge you more for a used one than you can buy on-line for a new one if you are willing to travel to Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. where there are dealers that are near where they are made in Indiana that will sell new ones at dealer cost.

Check out places like The Outpost RV on line and get a price on a new one (lower than what they sell for at most RV shows) and then gage any used pricing from that.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #154

Added counter space in our 21RR... I know everyone likes pictures. The sink board is glued up using 1x2 old cherry left overs. The stove and extension near door are all repurposed from a kitchen tear out... plus some new hardware. Next project is making stabilizer bars using cargo bars, via Harbor Freight... and I have to extend the ramp 3' while raising the ramp 10" from ground... or the Vulcan won't go easily.... still pondering, but might make it (36"x48") from plywood and 2x2s and a couple of stout hinges bolted on. I'll scout HD tomorrow for ideas. I see an MKT toy hauler has the extension and legs from the factory... be nice if the 21RR did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry sink board (Copy).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	13988   Click image for larger version

Name:	flip down stove board (Copy).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	13989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flip down stove board down (Copy).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	13990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flip up extension down (Copy).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	13991   Click image for larger version

Name:	flip up extension up (Copy).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	13992  

WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #155

Boy, it seems like a shame that they charge so much for these trailers and you still need to do alot of home improvements.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #156

Love the sink cutting board!

The leaf extension is the best thing we ever did to our 17rr (lying in it camping as I type this) ...

Next best was stowing the spare tire under the chassis with a hoist.

Still have more mods... After this trip will add a small towel bar to the very end of that leaf so you have somewhere to put a dish cloth
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #157

Hi Endnotes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednotes View Post
Boy, it seems like a shame that they charge so much for these trailers and you still need to do alot of home improvements.
Some of what I decided to do was to improve for comfort or convenience... and a few are preventative maintenance. I don't really know how FR compares to others, such as KZ MKT... but workmanship is terrible. (2012 models have some features that are standard that I added the the 21RR or will need to add) I don't want to start a complaint string, but it is ridiculous. Are you interested in weights and capacities? Get the data from you truck and plug them into the form at this link:

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

I figure me and the homemaker setting out with a 650# bike and what I estimate we will be caring would be something like 6000 to 6100 #s. The 19RR is about 400#s less. I travel as light as possible and less than 12 gallons of fresh water. My 9500# rated Silverado can only tow 7400#... and that is with properly adjusted WDH, but I really wouldn't want a camper to weigh over 6000# if traveling out West where grades can go as high as 14% (or more).
I sort of knew some of the 21RR short-comings, but since I paid $13K, I figured I could spend a little and improve it myself.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #158

Thanks for your honesty.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #159

Hi Brookside,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Love the sink cutting board!

The leaf extension is the best thing we ever did to our 17rr (lying in it camping as I type this) ...

Next best was stowing the spare tire under the chassis with a hoist.

Still have more mods... After this trip will add a small towel bar to the very end of that leaf so you have somewhere to put a dish cloth
First thing I did was add a TP holder, towel bars (2) and a better shower wand... and flex hose. Thanks for the other ideas... the towel holder!... simple but necessary. I've been considering how to store the spare underneath, but thought I would just keep it in the pickup bed. I like the way a Trailmanor spare mount works... two pipes straddle the frame rails side to side... then there is a pipe inside a pipe... some fabrication (needless to say), but you pull 2 pins... drop down the assembly and slide the spare past the side, making access easy.
Have fun camping! I've got a 24 hour nasty flu thing... so don't get too close to the monitor... then wash your hands.... LOL! Thanks again. clint
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #160

Tp holder still on the to do list!

Here's the stow your tire using a hoist topic: it's for a 17rr but believe it is the same setup at the ass of the trailer so should apply

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ong-23081.html
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote