Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Calling all Cherokee Gray Wold 19RR owners

Greetings Campers!

We purchased a 2010 Cherokee Gray Wolf 19RR in October 2009. Have use our toy hauler several times and just love it! Works well for us and our two dogs.

We take one of my hubby's Triumph motorcycles when we go. (1968 Bonneville and 2009 Bonneville T-100).

Anyone out there have one? Have any stories, mods or info you want to share?

We have a few mods we have done.. put in a pull down screen on our ramp door and just love it!

Looking forward to hearing y'all!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Greetings Campnqueen.

Purchased my 2011 19RR late October 2010 and managed to make 2 trips before winter set in.
Really nice, the perfect size for just the dog and I.
No mods yet, but would be interested in hearing about yours.

The only problem I have with it, is the ramp.
I have an 08 Harley Road King and the ramp is just too short and too steep.
That will be my first mod this spring. Other than that, it fits my needs pretty well.

Happy camping and ride safe.
Cliff
HDCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #3

Hi, purchase our 2011 19rr in Nov. 2010, picked it up mid Jan. 2011, minus 20 degrees and headed south. So far we are still camping and enjoying. We are hauling a Polaris Sportsman 400 ATV. Ramp is no problem.
Wife made a screen for cargo door, I added a 3 shelf butch block stand across from stove and a shelf in bedroom area for clock etc.
Will downsize the table and add a small computer stand when we get back to Canada.
currently enjoying the corner of Nevada, California and Arizona. doug
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCliff View Post
Greetings Campnqueen.

Purchased my 2011 19RR late October 2010 and managed to make 2 trips before winter set in.
Really nice, the perfect size for just the dog and I.
No mods yet, but would be interested in hearing about yours.

The only problem I have with it, is the ramp.
I have an 08 Harley Road King and the ramp is just too short and too steep.
That will be my first mod this spring. Other than that, it fits my needs pretty well.

Happy camping and ride safe.
Cliff
Hello cliff,
Yep my hubby said the same thing about the ramp. He has a 2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 AND a 1968 Bonneville. Easy fix not really a big deal.

We do want to do a few more mods..some slide outs int he pantry closet..and add a small cabinet for more storage. But this this trailer is perfect for us..in size and price. Hard to find mid-size toy haulers.

we may one day get a LARGER, MORE expensive rig one day....but for now we are very happy with the 19RR.

Happy Camping...and lookign forward to chatting with y'all

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Hi, purchase our 2011 19rr in Nov. 2010, picked it up mid Jan. 2011, minus 20 degrees and headed south. So far we are still camping and enjoying. We are hauling a Polaris Sportsman 400 ATV. Ramp is no problem.
Wife made a screen for cargo door, I added a 3 shelf butch block stand across from stove and a shelf in bedroom area for clock etc.
Will downsize the table and add a small computer stand when we get back to Canada.
currently enjoying the corner of Nevada, California and Arizona. doug
Hello Doug,
I am happy to know you can get a ATV in the 19RR...My hubby rides motorcycles but I prefer the ATV route...I may get one....one day!

Be safe and happy camping!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Gray Wolf 19RR - Ramp to short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hello cliff,
Yep my hubby said the same thing about the ramp. He has a 2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 AND a 1968 Bonneville. Easy fix not really a big deal.

We do want to do a few more mods..some slide outs int he pantry closet..and add a small cabinet for more storage. But this this trailer is perfect for us..in size and price. Hard to find mid-size toy haulers.

we may one day get a LARGER, MORE expensive rig one day....but for now we are very happy with the 19RR.

Happy Camping...and lookign forward to chatting with y'all
Hi - My wife and I are considering the Gray Wolf 19RR to haul our Road Star (Yamaha) 1700 Warrior. I was wanting to better understand why the two of you state the ramp door is too short and steep? Do you mean that when you bring a big street motorcycle in the trailer that after the front wheel enters the trailer and the back wheel is still part way up the ramp, does your motorcycle "bottom" out on the hindge point of the ramp?

I guess the solution would be to elevate the end of the ramp (top of door when on ground) and make a slightly longer ramp? I understand the 2011 has a slightly wider and longer ramp than the 2010's. What is the manufacture date on your trailer? It is always hard to determine the true model year of RV's since most RV stores list the year as the year they are titled even if they have a manufacture date of 1 or 2 years prior.
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #7

Hey Tom
First and foremost, I like my 19rr and would recommend it.
I just have an issue with the ramp and I'll try to answer your questions, based on my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf View Post
Do you mean that when you bring a big street motorcycle in the trailer that after the front wheel enters the trailer and the back wheel is still part way up the ramp, does your motorcycle "bottom" out on the hindge point of the ramp?
Loading, you are correct. However, that is the second problem. My Road King is only 5" clearance and will bottom on the hindge if I am sitting on the bike. I have to get to that exact point and stand up in order to clear it. The first problem is the transition from ground onto the ramp. At the half way point, the angle is too steep to touch the ground and maintain control of the bike.
Quote:
I guess the solution would be to elevate the end of the ramp (top of door when on ground) and make a slightly longer ramp?
This solves the first problem, ground onto the ramp. I usually find an elevate berm to backup to and lower the ramp onto. Problem here is wet grass and slick tires. Also does nothing for the second problem, bottoming out on the hindge.
Quote:
I understand the 2011 has a slightly wider and longer ramp than the 2010's.
Yes, you are correct.
My issues are
1: There are two transition points that I can easily drop an 800lb bike.
2: I don't want to be dependent on finding a berm when I get there.
According to this website's ramp calculator, I need at least a 9' ramp (based on axle length, bottom clearance and trailer height). The ramp on this model is less than 6'. Motorcycle Ramps & Ramp Systems As Low As $59.99
I would label it an issue and not a problem. Easily solved.
Other than that, I really like this TH, especially for the price.
Best of luck
Cliff
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

Thanks Cliff. I appreciate your detailed explanation and links to ramp solutions. My wife and I are approaching the point where we are going to make our travel trailer purchase and we like how the 19RR is a more like a "finished" travel trailer and has toy hauling abilities versus the many TH that are primarily toy haulers and in this light weight size they end up having your main sleeping quarters near the back ramp on an elevated queen bunk.

We think the 19RR is more for a couple that wants to bring one street bike with them, versus most TH are more family oriented that will hold several dirt bikes or ATV's and offer sleeping for more than two. Our last kid leaves for college this summer, so we are looking forward to the next chapter in our lives where we can vacation WITHOUT them!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #9

The dedicated bedroom was a big factor in my decision as well.
Also, the TV views better on a swing arm vs mounted directly to the wall.
When the time comes, have your dealer install another TV mount in the bedroom. The wall comes from the factory ready for it, but mine did not come with the mount.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #10

Just ordered my 19RR

Hi Everyone!!

After a few years of searching for the right TH to meet our needs, we decided that the 19RR was the best choice for us. I too like the fact that it actually has a bedroom!! I also like this year's model where the sofa actually has the armrests. My only concern is we will be hauling a HD Touring Bike and with my spouse being a bit vertically challenged, he may not be able to keep his feet on the ground as he takes the bike up the ramp. Any suggestions? I have read some of the posts that hint at the issue but would like clear directions as to how to 'getter' done. I appreciate this forum as I will be providing my feedback as well.

We are not new to trailering but have been off the market for over 10 years and are very excited to get back into it.

See you on the road!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #11

Stargazerandu;

I don't know if I am qualifed (yet!) to reply to your questions about making it easier to load the Grey Wolf 19RR with a big bike becuase my wife and I are not owners of the 19RR (yet!) so I am not speaking from experience, just my technical background. To make the ramp more gradual and allow your feet to stay near the ground while going up the ramp, you need to make the angle of the ramp less steep to put it in simple terms.

HDCliff mentioned you could back the trailer near a "birm" or hill where the gate would not have to go down as far, but you may not always have a hill or birm around and using dry pavement may be much better than getting the tires wet on damp grass.

Another method (may take a little time) would be to use the tongue and leveling jacks to work in your favor. If you jack up the tongue jack and front leveling jacks as far as they would go AND put the rear stabilizing jacks down, you could tilt the whole trailer to decrease the ramp angle. HOWEVER, much caution should be used. Remember if the hitch is not connected to your tow vehicle, YOU MUST use all the sabilizer jacks and make sure the trailer wheels are well chocked and the trailer cannot tip or roll or move while loading the bike. Plus, once the bike is in the trailer, since the trailer is tipped, you would need someone to help chock the bike tires since the bike will want to roll back. As you can see, you would need to be very cautious using this "tip the trailer" method since you want to stay safe and remember I have not actually performed this method.

The last method is also what HDCliff suggested by buying an additional ramp. This would allow you to lower the main gate of the TH onto some cinder blocks or large pieces of wood and then lay the purchased ramp between this and the ground making a longer ramp. You would have to keep room in the toy hauler to store these cinder blocks and extra ramp.

Hope these ideas help and remember to use lots of caution if you consider my "tip the trailer" method.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #12

I saw this ramp mod on another forum (I hope this link is OK to post)...

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Ramp Door Mod

It takes a little bit of work up front, but it looks like it would be very easy to use.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen
Greetings Campers!

We purchased a 2010 Cherokee Gray Wolf 19RR in October 2009. Have use our toy hauler several times and just love it! Works well for us and our two dogs.

We take one of my hubby's Triumph motorcycles when we go. (1968 Bonneville and 2009 Bonneville T-100).

Anyone out there have one? Have any stories, mods or info you want to share?

We have a few mods we have done.. put in a pull down screen on our ramp door and just love it!

Looking forward to hearing y'all!
CampingQueen, do you know if the trailer weight from the factory is pretty accurate? Also, have you ever weighed the trailer loaded? Reason I am asking is I will be towing with a 2005 Tundra and am looking to leave at least a 500lb balance..... I plan to buy a bigger truck but not for a few more years......Your input, or anyone else's will be greatly appreciated.....thank you!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Quote:
The last method is also what HDCliff suggested by buying an additional ramp. This would allow you to lower the main gate of the TH onto some cinder blocks or large pieces of wood and then lay the purchased ramp between this and the ground making a longer ramp. You would have to keep room in the toy hauler to store these cinder blocks and extra ramp.
Actually, what I intend to do is purchase the folding 9' ramp. This will go from the TH floor to the ground. This solves both the ground to ramp and ramp to floor issues. The ramp folds in half and will easily fit in my truck bed.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
CampingQueen, do you know if the trailer weight from the factory is pretty accurate? Also, have you ever weighed the trailer loaded? Reason I am asking is I will be towing with a 2005 Tundra and am looking to leave at least a 500lb balance..... I plan to buy a bigger truck but not for a few more years......Your input, or anyone else's will be greatly appreciated.....thank you!!
A quick google shows your TC @ 6500 with a 4.7l engine. Based on my first trip, (Hummer H3 5.3l) I think you will be driving by the tach instead of the speedo if you are in any hills. Not knowing any better I tried to keep up speed on an incline in the foothills of east tn. The engine temp pegged and I had to pull over at the top to idle for 30 minutes to bring it back down to normal again. Bad enough that you could smell it. Upgraded to the titan with a 10k TC and changed my driving style. The difference was night and day. Again though, towing experience makes a huge difference and it sounds like you guys have it from the past.

Ride safe
Cliff
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #16

Thanks Cliff. Yes, that folding ramp mounted to the 19RR's ramp with folding legs is a nice setup and solves where to store ramps and supports. My wife and I are excited because we are finally to the point where we have narrowed down the dealer and will be putting deposit down on our new Grey Wolf today. We are ordering ours with the upgraded vinyl floor that looks like wood planks.

My wife read my "tip the trailer" suggestion for changing the angle of the ramp and broke out in laughter, saying everyone will think I am crazy with my ideas and I should change my login from HeyTomGrayWolf (I spelled Gray wrong) to "TipTheTrailerTom".

Similar to Stargazerandu, my tow vehicle will also be the 4.6l Toyota. I have a 2003 Sequoia (same engine and chasis, except for rear springs, as the Tundra). I have had the Sequoia since 2003 and regularly pull a 4000-4500 lb tandem axle boat and trailer. While the 4.6 does not have the pulling power of all the newer 5.7 Nissan's and Toyotas as well as the many newer domestic 1/2 tons that are breaking the 10,000 lb towing capacity, I don't think Stargazerandu will have any issues with the 2005 Tundra and the 4200lb 19RR (5000-5500 loaded).

I pull my boat on a 460 mile trip (each way) every summer to a lake we go to in Alabama. Though my 2003 only has the 4 speed Automatic (I think the 2005's had a 5 speed and the new models have 6 speed), I run at highway speeds with the OD turned off and run in 3 gear. I can run all day in 3rd gear at 70 to 75 miles an hour and my temperature gage never budges from a tick below half way. However, running this hard in 3rd gear, the engine is in the 3000-3500 rpm range and gas mileage is 7-9 mpg!

Cutting back 5 or 10 miles per hour saves tons on gas. I would roughly estimate for every 5 mph you slow down from 75, you gain 1 mpg.

With a Travel Trailer, your "windage" will be worse than my boat and I don't expect to be able to pull the 19RR that fast safely. I am also planning to invest in a Reese Load Balancing/Sway control hitch system that the dealer quoted me at installing for $699. I never used this with my boat, but boats are a little easier to adjust tongue weight on just how far up you pull the boat on the trailer and I want this hitch for Sway control since Travel Trailers do push a lot more wind and move around more than boats.

In summary, as long as you take the 4.6 V8 Toyota out of overdrive and don't worry about the RPM's, just check your temperature gage now and then, but I have not had any problems. (note... there are no Mountains between Florida and Alabama, so I might have to slow it down a bit pulling my 19RR back home through the mountains in Tennessee!)
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post

Stargazer, depending on your gears, hitch & engine you should be able to tow this.

My 2006 nissan armada SUV has more than 4,000lbs after full tanks, but my suv has a heavy duty tow mode w/transmission cooler hitch v8 engine my truck is the same as the nissan titan wich is pretty close to par with the nissan tundra/sequioia. if you dont have the heavy duty towing packages on it from toyota you will safely pull signifigantly less. my truck model with the heavy duty towing is 9,000lb without the ht towing package its 5,000lb

last time i checked the titan/sequioia are the same
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #18

Thank you all for the replies....My Tundra does have the tow package installed and is rated at being able to tow 6700 lbs. With the 19RR sticker stating a weight of a little over 4100lbs plus adding weight of (toy) - 872lbs, will put me at just under 5000lbs...add about 1000lbs of gear with full tanks (a generous estimate), I am getting close but within the 500lb buffer I set for my own comfort.
I have ordered the 19RR from a dealer in Indiana (I live in FL) and having it delivered to my brother in TN, saving on delivery costs. We are excited and looking foward to traveling with our toy.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post
last time i checked the titan/sequioia are the same
Covfam, I think you meant the Tundra/Sequoia are the same. Titan is the Nissan like your Armada.

Older Sequoia/Tundras (pre 2007 for the Tundra and 2008 for the Sequoia) are not up to par with the Titan/Armada. From day one, the Nissans had a 5.7 liter V8. Sequoia's and Tundra's pre the 2007/2008 updates only had 4.6 liter V8's. The 4.6 is a great engine and why they still offer it as an option on the new models, but for trailer pulling, I would recommend getting the 5.7 for the extra torque if looking at a newer Toyota, just as Ford kept their smaller V8 but offers a 5.7 liter version for more pulling power.

I have the towing package on my 2003 Sequoia. Extra radiator in front of the main radiator to keep the transmission oil cool and it was prewired for trailer brakes, so adding a brake controller and changing out the 4 pole trailer light pigtail to a 7 pole plug in the back for trailer lights/brakes was a very easy task if you order each with Toyota specific cable harness adapters (eTrailer.com). I believe Toyota spec's the old 4.6 liter at 6500 lbs towing without trailer towing package and 7200 with it.

I am happy the 19RR Greywolf loaded with a bike is only in the 5500 lb range, because I would not want to tow 7000 lbs long distances at highway speeds with my older small block Sequoia.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #20

Hi
There is a sticker on the door of my 2011 (think it's for when they import to Canada).. dry weight was 4328 lbs. Likely with spare tire but without propane.
They also caution that full load of water would add 367 lbs. (we pull empty)
With the quad and all the "stuff"", I'm sure we added another 700 to 750 lbs.
doug
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote