Old 02-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Can someone help with finding water heater bypass on a 2018 275pack18

I picked up my new toyhauler a couple weeks ago and i cannot locate the the bypass on it. The person that did the walk through said it was under the bathroom sink, well nothing in there. Looked behind the kitchen drawers and I can see the water heater but not any bypass valves. Any help greatly appreciated.

CuervoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuervoKid View Post
I picked up my new toyhauler a couple weeks ago and i cannot locate the the bypass on it. The person that did the walk through said it was under the bathroom sink, well nothing in there. Looked behind the kitchen drawers and I can see the water heater but not any bypass valves. Any help greatly appreciated.

It's close to the water heater but often in a compartment accessed by a door that has three hinges on it. On those you have to remove the single hinge with a screwdriver. In my trailer the water filter, water pump, and winterizing valves are all located in a compartment like that. If you want you can just install a normal cabinet door latch and handle. Then resist the urge to store stuff in that compartment. That's why they make it difficult to get into.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #3

thanks

I will look to see if I can find something like you mention.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

On my 25pack12 the bypass is right off the water heater in behind the kitchen drawers.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

I can see the back of the water heater through the kitchen drawers but I dont think I can reach the water heater. I also noticed a red and blue line with valves hanging out directly under the water heater. Might have to try service where I bought the unit, starting to think person that did the walk through didn't know where it was either or how to work on it.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
I can see the back of the water heater through the kitchen drawers but I dont think I can reach the water heater. I also noticed a red and blue line with valves hanging out directly under the water heater. Might have to try service where I bought the unit, starting to think person that did the walk through didn't know where it was either or how to work on it.
Looking at pics of your unit online, I would guess that panel above your kitchen drawers can be removed, but that's just my guess.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
If these lines are under the trailer an just pointing down to the ground with each one having a valve, these are you low point drains used to empty the lines for winterizing. The by-pass valves are usually 3 valves. Mine is an older unit and uses 1 valve. Either way, they are always very close to the WH so not hard to find. Maybe behind a removable panel but accessible nun the less. Mine has a hand hole in the panel surrounding the heater to reach thru.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #8

The hot water heater bypass will have 3 valves, somewhere near the input and outputs to the water heater. 1 on the Blue line (hot water heater input) 1 on the red line (hot water heater output) and there will be a third that goes between the blue and red lines (hot water heater bypass line). They have to be there, they just might not be easy to see without removing a panel. In bypass mode, Red and Blue line valves will be closed and the 3rd will be open. Opposite is true to use the water heater. Dont forget the bypass valve no matter what you do. Red and Blue valves will always be opposite of the bypass valve (2 on 1 off, 1 on 2 off) Once you mess with it a time or two it makes a lot more sense. The valve handles should be oblong, the valve opening lines up with the LONG portion of the handle. Lined up with the tubing, the valve is open.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #9

Behind a panel
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #10

My walk thru was similar to yours where the Rep mentioned the bypass valves but did not pull the panel to show them to me or how they operate.
On my 2018 255RR, the water heater has the two lines (red and Blue) you mention. Each line has a valve with 3 ports each.
One port on the Blue line valve is the fresh water supply , another is to the heater and the third one has a hose that connects to the other (Red line) valve.
On the Red line valve there is a line from the heater, another to the hose from the (Blue) line valve and the third line out to the campers faucets hot side.
I suspect that when the valves are turned to the normal position (Handle aligned with hose to heater) then water can flow into or from the heater.
When the valves are in bypass position (aligned with connecting hose) it shuts off the flow to or from the heater and routes the water thru the connecting hose and sent out to the hot side of the campers faucets.
In either the Normal or Bypass mode both valves need to be positioned the same way.
The sad part of this is that Forest River needs to put better information out on this (or maybe a sticker on the panel) on how to operate the bypass.
When I DE winterize my unit I will double check this by operating the valves with the water system pressurized and the heater drain removed. When in the bypass (how it should be when winterized) I should not get water from the drain plug hole, but should have water at the hot side of the faucets.
When not in bypass (Normal operating) I should get water from the open drain plug hole.
Hope this helps.
Mule

Muletrain is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, heater, water, water heater