Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

not that it matters cause it really doesn't . most campground pedestals will have the breaker off all ready though not a bad idea to make sure it's off before you plug in but really doesn't matter . you won't screw the pooch if you plug into a live outlet .

Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #12

Rarely is a campground pedestal breaker off unless the camper before switched it off. But there is sometimes an arc if you hook up / plug in with the breaker on............... but I have done it both ways with no problems ( old age I usually forget to turn the breaker off when plugging up....

Personal recommendation is breaker off.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #13

I've never flipped the main breaker on my house if the power goes out and never turned off a breaker before I plugged anything into a household outlet. What's the difference? (I usually turn off the pedestal as well....just don't think it's necessary )
Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I've never flipped the main breaker on my house if the power goes out and never turned off a breaker before I plugged anything into a household outlet. What's the difference? (I usually turn off the pedestal as well....just don't think it's necessary )
The difference is that with your home the flash of a reconnect occurs in the power company equipment far away, not in the pedestal next to your hand.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

Plugging in to shore power should not have anything to do with your popping a 12v fuse. FIRST THING is check your ground to the battery, always suspect bad ground first, maybe clean the cable on the battery and where it connects to the frame.
I would then go around and check the connections on all of the components on that circuit. You might have a bad ground or power connection somewhere. They just daisy chain from one end usually, so if you find a bad connection it should fix it. Odds are one of the wires will pull out when you pull the light or whatever you check.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Rarely is a campground pedestal breaker off unless the camper before switched it off. But there is sometimes an arc if you hook up / plug in with the breaker on............... but I have done it both ways with no problems ( old age I usually forget to turn the breaker off when plugging up....

Personal recommendation is breaker off.....

Never have i pulled into a campground where the breaker was already ON !
everybody has different experiences / . I'm sure you'll now come across many that are off i will will start seeing them all be on
Old 06-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

I played around with my wiring issue some more, I believe the short is located in the stove hood fan/light unit. I disconnected the wiring for a while no blown fuse. I reconnected for a while, then disconnected, playing around with the wires, tugging and moving them, no blown fuse, I was getting ready to go camping on Friday, fuse blew. So I left the hood wiring disconnected, replaced fuse (needed the thermostat to work) replaced fuse, it blew again. When I got home from our trip yesturday, I took the entire hood off and inspected the wiring, I was convinced I would find a bare wire some where chafed on a sharp edge, nothing, it all looks good. Going to play around some more today. If I don't find the real problem, I am considering placing the thermostat on its own separate fuse.
BKM1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #18

I did more troubleshooting and found that the wiring to the light just above the bed is causing to fuse to blow, so disconnected that section of wiring and the fuse has not blown for several weeks. Will work on getting that fixed after the camping season is over. I will say this, I have learned a lot about my camper and also got the opportunity to clean up all of the wood and metal shavings left behind when the camper was built.
BKM1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

The only time I turn off the main breaker in the trailer is if the pedestal
has no breakers. Don't see this often but have come across it several times.

Tags
power