Old 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

connecting/disconnecting shore power

A general question for the forum, when connecting/disconnecting shore power, is it a good idea to cut the main breaker on the panel?

BKM1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
Old Camping Squid

I do as well, I think it's better to turn the beakers on one at a time after the main, just my opinion... no facts to back it up.
2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

I turn the breaker at the pedestal off prior to plugging in the shore power cord and turn it off before pulling it out when leaving. I also use a good quality surge protector for extra caution.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I reread... I flip off the pedestal not the trailer breaker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

The reason for my question is,I have one fuse that seams to blow whenever I connect, disconnect shore power or the battery, it is the top fuse labeled bedroom lights, it runs the bedroom lights, sink light, stove fan and light, two lights in the garage, and the thermostat. I also have a surge protector but for some reason I did not use it when connected at home and we had a power interruption which may have blown the fuse recently. I added a battery disconnect and also plugged in my surge protector. I will be extra cautious when connecting and disconnecting and try your breaker method. Thanks!
BKM1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Head Rambler

If the fuse you said is blowing is only powering the things listed, it shouldn't be blowing unless it's extremely under rated. I'd look for something else that it powers or for something shorted in the circuit.

P.S. It's always a good idea to open (throw) the breaker at the pedestal when connecting and disconnecting the shore power cord.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

I hard wired in a surge protector and never have an issue with a surge when plunging in. You should not have to reset breakers - may have bad breakers - they can wear out over time.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM1066 View Post
... I have one fuse that seams to blow whenever I connect, disconnect shore power or the battery, it is the top fuse labeled bedroom lights, it runs the bedroom lights, sink light, stove fan and light, two lights in the garage, and the thermostat. I also have a surge protector but for some reason I did not use it when connected at home
Surge protector would do nothing. Depending on its specs, it may ignore anything on 120 VAC until voltage well exceeds 330 volts. Others should have known that. To say more requires spec numbers for that protector.

AC power cord should be constructed so that appropriate hot conductors disconnect before neutral or safety ground. If not, a voltage spike may exist for reasons too complicated to explain. IOW you should never have to first cut off a beaker. Good practice always says everything must have a backup. Do that to avert problems. If that plug and receptacle do not work right, then breaker will provide backup protection. Only so that a problem does not cause a failure.

That procedure is to avert a failure. But never ignore that failure. Find and fix it. Woefully too few facts are provided for a useful answer.

What is provided says (as Bama Rambler also notes) that tripped fuse is a serious problem unrelated to what else is on that circuit. Even power interruptions do not blow fuses. That defect should be addressed. One thing to inspect has been described. Protector would not and does not claim to solve that defect.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #10

We always turn off the breakers before we plug in and before we unplug.

Tags
power