Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Considering Wolf Pup 17RP

Sold our wonderful A-Frame and now looking at the Wolf Pup 17RP. Any thoughts on these? We are looking at a fiberglass unit. Does anyone know what type of axel is on these?
greatblue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

We have a 17RP and it's a single axel. We carry a Harley Electra Glide and pull it with a 2014 Tundra. We live in Texas and pulled it to Colorado. We love ours. My husband and I are empty nesters and love to just take off for a week every now and again.
Stacysooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

We did end up ordering the 17rp and will be towing with a 2015 Nissan Frontier. Can't wait to get our unit, supposedly around the 26th of Aug.! We live in Missouri and our first trip will be to Indiana and then Michigan. We did decide to get the fiberglass.
greatblue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

I also just picked up a 17RP for camping while taking a dirt bike with me. I will be pulling it with my Toyota FJ cruiser.

I really like the trailer but find it very cheaply made. I have had to glue many screws that were stripped out and every fixture, switch, etc. in the unit was crooked. a couple of cabnet corners were split. So after I went through and rebuilt it all is well. Seriously manufacture and dealer take some pride in your product.

Marc
lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Looked at one like it very much I have a Road star and my wife has a 883 hunger we have to load both into it. have taking measurements will mark off space in our garage with tape on the floor tonight to see if we can work it out
Bill3806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #6

Question anyone one try a Harley Triglide ??? Thoughts ??? We have a wolf pup 17rp by measuring it should fit and it will have to come out when we get where we are going.
Kmoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

Picked one up today. Drove all the way to Laurie Missouri from coastal Texas because nobody would even get close to their internet pricing.
(I don't know why. And there was ZERO haggling. Nice fella named Scott answered the phone. Confirmed the price and promised no shenanigans. The whole deal was just smooth as glass. Couldn't be more pleased)

Yea, the inside is typical Indiana RV budget fare. But the trailer underneath it is an excellent platform for building a wicked cool tiny toy hauler!
Pulls like a dream too.

I'm laying in bed this minute on a new 4" memory foam mattress. The 13.5 AC can make it an icebox in minutes. And I'm streaming Netflix.
I think it's an amazing bargain.

Zoom in on the window. This whole rig loaded with every available option cost just a bit more than the 230lb cargo. Lol

I have a thousand ideas to turn this into a little boondocking riot.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #8

Forgot to thank all the folks on this forum for their clever methods of attaching their chocks to the Wolf Pup D-rings.

Worked perfect!!!
Takes just a couple of minutes to drop a rug under the chock, bolt both ends, and push the toy up the ramp and lock her in.
Brilliant.

So much easier than what I've been doing the last few years.
And I get to put my truck bed cover back on and hide my generator.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Congratulations on the new trailer and way to drink the orange Kool-Aid

I love mine once I got the little niggly bits straightened out.

Show us some pics on your tie down setup and what you do for a bit more storage space.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

As this forum will not allow me to edit previous posts. I will add this, that I just learned today.

The spare tire will not come out of the storage compartment via the door. You have to take the bed apart and take it out that way. I also have the nice 4" memory foam mattress in mine and that just makes it more fun.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #11

Didn't realize that. Well, let's just hope neither of us will need to fetch that spare. Ever!

Storage ideas?

Actually, I have several. Some might be considered a bit radical, so I'll wait to declare until I actually do the demolition necessary.

But here on day 2 I attacked countertop surface shortcomings. (something most RVs are desperately short of)
I'm never going to use that 2-burner cooktop. I'm dead certain since I have never used the one in the RV I live in! (Yea, I'm a full timer)

So out it came because currently that's my nightstand when I'm in bed.
Now that whole space is a luxurious for that purpose.

And since that huge lower cabinet came with 2 functional doors, fortunately, I simply removed the skinny "blocker-partitions" the factory installed to keep us from using the storage under the cooktop. It's a really big storage space to waste. Must be some kind of code?

Next I gave that 500lb table away to a neighbor camper and grabbed a 4' Walmart lightweight. Counter space HEAVEN that take 60 seconds to deploy and the legs don't interfere with the wheel well.

Now the garage converts to my Espresso Bar. Woohoo

Note: a 5' table will fit there without imposing on the entry door opening. But I put my Yeti on the floor in that spot. Nice footrest when sitting on the couch.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #12

I'm camping a few days in a campground that some friends & family are at before I head off to ride some Colorado mountain passes. (boondocking)

So when they saw my coffee bar was setup this morning they grabbed their cups and headed to the tiny-camper. They have a gorgeous luxury trailer, but decided to sit and visit.

After a few seconds they both exclaimed how the Wolf Pup was way more inviting than they expected. That little couch is actually comfortable and the huge opening eliminates the "tight quarters" feeling.

I agree! This thing is proving to be so versatile.
Pictured is the oem table that conflicts with the wheel well.
That forces it to stick out past the kitchen counter.
Alas, its gone!

Can't wait to setup this same morning coffee porch in the mountain spot I go to annually. It'll be epic.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #13

Which table is that exactly, I want to grab one tomorrow and get rid of the 100lb monolith.

Thanks, I just ordered this one and will pick it up in the morning. Not positive if it is the exact same one but I think it will be a big improvement.

https://www.target.com/p/4'-folding-...E/-/A-15127167

Old 07-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #14

Walmart's 24"x48"

But again, the 60" will fit too.
The legs are near the ends of the table, so the wheel well doesn't come into play.
Very light and inexpensive. Can be set at two different heights. Folds in half and easy to store. Good for under the awning table too.

Yea, what's up with that table they included?
Tiny footprint on the legs, and weighs as much as an anchor.
That's not RV style at all.
Kind of liked the top surface material though.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #15

Picking up our Wolf Pup next Saturday. We are coming from a pop up that had tons of storage. Worried about where wer going to put everything. Does anyone have totes they put in the overhead storage that work out good? What's the size?
Can't wait to be able to haul our dirt bikes with the camper!
Jeepwolfpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #16

That overhead storage has convinced me, in only a week of traveling, that it is indeed my preferred choice for storage methods.

When this trip is over, I'm adding MORE of it.
I'll extend the current one all the way to the bathroom wall.
Then build a mirror of the whole thing on the other side, from overhead sink cabinet to entrance door.

While rolling down the road, I can use the bed and overhead bunk as additional storage. And on top of all that, you have all the unused floor space for bins with heavy items.

What first looked like a tiny camper with little storage has actually revealed itself to be a cargo beast!!!!

I'm only a week+ and about 1500 miles into camping with the mighty Wolf Pup. Already I have the "process" down for setting up camp, then breaking it down.

Just wait until you're sipping coffee in the morning with the hatch wide open while comfortable on the end of that couch viewing the lake or snowcaps!

Folks walking by that towed their gorgeous high $dollar rigs with their $65k trucks will stop and ask ya lots of questions.

Gotta be the one of the sweetest $values and versatility rigs I've come across. And the toys being hauled WITH you are icing on the cake!

Good luck. Hope you find your new Wolf Pup just as friendly.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #17

Good idea snakebitten. I couldn't figure out why they would put nothing above the fridge to help out with storage.

Are you going to extend the shelf from scratch? Definitely post pics if you can of your progress.

The problem for us is we have so much little stuff- flashlights, coozies, pocket knifes, bug spray, sunscreen, all the kitchen utensils, plates, cups, trash bags, ziplocks etc. wondering where it's going to all go. I don't want to shove it all in a tot if i don't have to.

Really wanting to get to camp and not have to pull a bunch of stuff out and set up. I'd like to see some ideas or current mods done but haven't been able to find any posts yet.
Jeepwolfpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #18

I'm thinking of taking the existing overhead wooden storage down and come up with some kind of lightweight aluminum structure that can be more "modular". Perhaps with adjustable features for shelving, partitions, and strapping points. I got it kind of in my head.

As for small items and such, I'm a bag man. Lol
It comes from years of riding adventure bikes across country and needing to be both organized and frugal with space.

So if bins and bags and such are properly sorted for all your "stuff", you simply throw them up in the "storage racks"!

After a short time you get familiar with what bags\bins contain what.
And since they are viewable through that very handy netting, you aren't opening and closing cabinet doors trying to locate where you stored stuff.

That netting even gives it a consistent look. When you glance at the overhead bins from a distance it looks nice and uniform. Tidy.

You're gonna love it!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #19

By the way, "pulling a bunch of stuff out" is FAR different with this toy hauler.

I love to build a great porch. Comfortable seating. Plenty of table surface. Electrical service handy. Shade from direct sun. Even a couple of oscillating fans for humid days.

All this stuff is loaded on the floor last before I close the hatch.

Getting stuff in and out of the camper is 10% the effort with that fantastic ramp door! You'll find if both doors are open, you'll quickly develop a habit of walking in and out using the ramp. It's so effortless.

And since you're coming from a popup, (I've had 2) the whole setup\takedown experience is going to seem like you're cheating!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #20

Congratulations and I hope you love it. I just got back from a week up in Steamboat Springs doing a whole bunch of dirt riding. I store my riding gear in the overhead shelf which has it nice and handy. I store the couch cushions on the top bunk with the bed removed (just me anyway, and it has started to sag, winter warranty time ) I toss everything else on the bed. When I setup the cushions go on the couch and all the stuff on the bed gets put up on the top bunk. Except the table. I did get a light 40" plastic fold up table to replace the very heavy and bulky stock table. I am not very civilized so all my dry food and cooking stuff I just put in a box and move it to the top of the fridge when parked. I put a towel rack on the end of the kitchen and a TP holder in the head. Utensils and some small stuff go under the sink. I bought a door hanger with six shelves/pockets that I hand on the inside of the bathroom door. So far that has given me enough storage.

NOTE: remove the carousel from the microwave when traveling. Or it will remove itself. Remove the TP from the TP holder or it will unspool on the floor. Don't plan on the cabinet doors under the sink to stay closed.

The big old Husky fits in nicely as well as the smaller dirt bikes. I got a Bolt-It-On system to tie bikes down. I can put ONE in forward and TWO in backward. I like this system as you don't have to drill any holes in the floor.

The FJ pulls it OK but not without a little effort.

BTW: this is the first time I used it at a real campground. Sure was nice to have the AC as it got HOT up at the Boat. Don't forget Ice Cream bars, Yes you have a freezer now.

And if you are not so sophisticated as snakebitten, take a couple of jack stands and put under the rear door pads for an instant back porch.

Marc