Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Fold out bed / couch falling apart - check yours

17rr cheap excuse for a couch that folds down from wall on 2012 model is falling apart already. Trailer has been sitting unused over winter. Has been camped in once.

Folded it up the other day and it fell apart - seems as though to save money, backing of the couch is stapled on, but no glue. Entire bottom fell off. Put it back with wood glue and screws.

FYI vinyl floor of entire camper isn't glued to plywood either.

Holy cheap, batman! Are times so tough forest river can't spend ten cents on some glue?
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

since you didn't post a year isn't it still under warranty ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
since you didn't post a year isn't it still under warranty ?

I did post the year - again it's a 2012. Yes it's under warranty which is not worth the paper it's written on. I fixed it myself.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

sorry I did in fact miss the year my apologies .
why do you suspect warranty wouldn't cover it ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
sorry I did in fact miss the year my apologies .
why do you suspect warranty wouldn't cover it ?

Because I purchased my trailer from a dealer who's not a local dealer (even though the local dealers didn't stock the 17rr and wouldn't even order it for me) I've been refused warranty service as the dealers claim that you can only get service from the dealer you bought the trailer from (and they all point to forest rivers website as their grounds for this, even though it's not written in any contract I signed when I bought the thing)

If I buy a toyota in new jersey and I live in manhattan, suddenly I have no warranty? I don't think so.

It would never stand in any other industry, so why it does in this one makes no sense.

I can tell you that this is my first and last forest river product. If I would have known about this used car salesman schiester scammy attitude I would have chosen a different brand on the spot.

I guess it's buyer beware and I should have done better research .

Sorry for the rant... I do feel better though getting that off my chest.

So in a nutshell, I'll fix it myself, use the camper for a few years and move on to brighter pastures.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In a nutshell, car dealerships are like fast food franchises, they have to do what the big boss says, whether they like it or not, and are forced to honor sales and specials that are forced upon them as corporate headquarters dictates.

Camper dealerships, on the other hand are independent. They are mostly family owned, just like your local garage. If you bought your Toyota in New Jersey, and take it to your local garage, (not a dealer) in Manhattan, he can refuse to work on it, warranty or not. It is HIS business, and he has the right to refuse customers.

Sorry for your troubles, and as for Forrest River products, if they didn't make a great product that a lot of people like, there wouldn't be this website. Most are happy, and very well satisfied. And if you get a different brand, you will find the same thing with warranty work, only worse, as far as buying from one dealer and EXPECTING another dealer to provide warranty coverage.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
In a nutshell, car dealerships are like fast food franchises, they have to do what the big boss says, whether they like it or not, and are forced to honor sales and specials that are forced upon them as corporate headquarters dictates.

Camper dealerships, on the other hand are independent. They are mostly family owned, just like your local garage. If you bought your Toyota in New Jersey, and take it to your local garage, (not a dealer) in Manhattan, he can refuse to work on it, warranty or not. It is HIS business, and he has the right to refuse customers.

Sorry for your troubles, and as for Forrest River products, if they didn't make a great product that a lot of people like, there wouldn't be this website. Most are happy, and very well satisfied. And if you get a different brand, you will find the same thing with warranty work, only worse, as far as buying from one dealer and EXPECTING another dealer to provide warranty coverage.

You're mistaken about how warranty claims are processed. It's also incorrect to assume that dealers need to take care of "their" customers when warranty work when performed on a unit purchased from any dealer pays the same as the rate is set by forest river.

I also believe that you are mistaken when stating that forest river must be so good since they manufacture so many units therefore everyone must be happy. If you spend any time on this site you can see that many people aren't happy with their units and especially the build quality. You'll also discover if you do any research on the brand that FR is considered to be at the bottom of the industry for build quality etc. FR isn't Lexus or Mercedes, they're Hyundai (Hyundai from 1985).
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It is sad to hear of your of your problems with your new unit, and of your displeasure with Forest River, etc. What a bummer! Should this lead you decide to change to a different brand, then I sincerely wish you the best of luck in finding one with a dealer/repair network that better meets your expectations. Even if you are disappointed with Forest River, it would be nice if you would let the group know what you come up with.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

Brookside, while I agree with you on the cheap aspect of some of the items in these units, we didn't exactly pay Lexus or Mercedes money when purchasing them. Based on that, I'm willing to live with some imperfections. All in all, I'm fairly happy with mine and think I paid a decent price for what I got.

I do agree that the couch is a cheap pos as well as the mattresses they ship with. I've done some other mods, but haven't really had to "fix" much of anything. I don't have any issue with my vinyl floor.

Anyway, hope you can find a way to enjoy your camper.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
You're mistaken about how warranty claims are processed. It's also incorrect to assume that dealers need to take care of "their" customers when warranty work when performed on a unit purchased from any dealer pays the same as the rate is set by forest river.

I also believe that you are mistaken when stating that forest river must be so good since they manufacture so many units therefore everyone must be happy. If you spend any time on this site you can see that many people aren't happy with their units and especially the build quality. You'll also discover if you do any research on the brand that FR is considered to be at the bottom of the industry for build quality etc. FR isn't Lexus or Mercedes, they're Hyundai (Hyundai from 1985).
I'm happy with my Forest River trailer (this is the second one). Just sayin'!

You need to understand that few people will post that on a forum because the forum is really here to help people with their trailers so you will see lots of "this broke" and "I'm unhappy", etc. But the vast majority of trailer owners spend little time on FRF or RV.net because they are happy with their product.

Secondly, all trailer manufacturers have their issues. Trust me that is not limited to only Forest River. If you had done your homework, you would realize that.

Last, Windrider was correct. The reality is that dealers usually take care of their customers first and its up to the dealer to work on a trailer bought elsewhere. Some do. Maybe most, but its a standard business practice to take care of buying-customers first.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #11

We have a large dealership in Ont. The are a chain and have dealers all across then province. I will not deal with them because they give used care salesmen a good name. If you purchase a unit from them they will refuse to do work on it and if they do it will not be done right. This same dealership wanted me to sign a blank paper. They said it was a form of intent to purchase and if a unit came in that I was interested in they would call me. I do not sign black papers. Come to find out after you leave they fill in the blanks and after the cool down period call and inform that your trailer is ready. The form states that they can arrange financing for you and supply the trailer that you are looking for. There have been many complaints to the BBB about this company but they are still in business. The held a trailer show several years ago and advertised it as the annual Ontario dealership show. Because they lied they were banned form the Ontario RV dealership organization. So before you purchase a unit from a dealer you should do your homework.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

I'm very happy with my FR product. I read the forums every day, but I don't post that I'm "warm and fuzzy." Most of the threads are because someone is having an issue, or has a question. If you want a better built unit, then you have to expect to pay more. For the money we paid, we have an EXCELLENT unit that suits our needs. We know it won't last 50 years. As for your warranty issues, ANY FR dealer can refuse to work on your TT. They are independent dealers, and as such, can make their own decisions on who/what they service. I suggest you do some research and find another dealer who will work with you. You got taken for a ride by your dealer. Not the fault of FR that your dealer is a jerk.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it better to have a "floating floor" in an RV and not a direct glue-down? This allows the floor to move with the temperature and humidity changes, and also stress from traveling and uneven terrain. So in your case, no, it wouldn't be glued down to plywood.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #13

I've become intimately familiar with the construction of the trailer during the last few months. I would encourage members to get on their backs, crawl under their campers and look very closely at how it was built and assembled. The lack of attention and care is shocking. It really is. It appears to be shear laziness on the part of those building the things, either that or the staff at forest river simply don't care. Mine was assembled in the summer of 2011.

Don't doubt me... Get under and look at how everything fits together, how the staples rust after 6 months and never even made their mark to hold anything in. How things are screwed together with self tapping screws and bolts, all at various angles jammed together. How the frame is welded and there are chunks of weld falling off, bits of welding rod stuck out of joint like dried spaghetti...

Anyways.. This list could go on and on. I thought I was buying a brand new 2012 unit, not a handyman's special. Guess I have a bunch of finishing work to complete.

The positive thing is that thanks to the Internet, companies can't get away with things like this Scott free...

Anywho...

Tags
bed