Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
By the look of those pictures, these frames are obviously not designed by an engineer. Is there no requirement to have such things approved before they go into mass production?
If that is the way they are all built, they will all fail eventually. Simple metal fatigue caused by inadequate reinforcement.
I am a structural engineer who has built several projects in my spare time. I would NEVER do what they did.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
You are correct, probably better to let insurance company fight with FR and Lippert. No doubt their first defense is going to be "you overloaded your unit", just like the tire mfg's always claim tires failed due to under inflation.

2011 Ram Truck 2500, Crew Cab, 6.7L CTD, 4X4, 3.73 Rear
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
I am not feeling confident about getting mine "repaired". The guys working at the RV shop are not engineers as far as I know. They are talking about doing some gusseting which has me thinking about what the next weakest link is in this poorly designed/manufactured frame. What ever is the next weakest link will undoubtedly fail at some point. This is a risk I don't feel comfortable taking.

And the best part is we paid over $30k to have the honor of not feeling safe while towing our Forest River 5th wheel.

As a side note I called Forest river and left a message for Bob Miller, Phone: 260-593-0023, last Thursday 2/23/12 with no call back yet. I'm not concerned yet as it was only 1.5 business days since my call and who knows what Bob has going on in his life. I will try again tomorrow.
2008 Forest River Cherokee Wolfpack 295WP With BROKEN FRAME
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
295WP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
They need to replace that rear crossmember with a tube double the thickness, then tie the pinbox mounting frame into the bottom of that crossmember, not just butt weld it to the front of the tube.
And the crossmember should be gusseted to the frame members it is welded to, not just tacked on with some dogshit welds like the factory does.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote