Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Fresh Water?

Just want to verify something concerning the fresh water tank? If I'm traveling to a campground that has water at their sites then I don't/shouldn't fill the fresh water tank? Or only have enough to flush the toilet and use the sinks. Once at the site connect to fresh water supply and "all is good!" I saw some where how much a full fresh water tank weighs and puts a stress on the fresh water tank and mounts while traveling? True or False?
tomm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Team

You are correct. If you have water on site, there is no real reason to drag water along with you other than enough for toilet and sink during travel. Don't forget to turn water pump off when you connect to city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

We (and our RV club) travel with fresh water full most of the time as we boondock 80% of the time.

From these forums, it appears the ultralight types of RVs are the most likely to have problems with traveling with full tanks. Your signature doesn't say what kind of RV you have. Check your tank support system.

But if traveling between hookup sites, no need to carry water unless you just want to.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #4

We find it extremely handy to be within 25 feet of a bathroom while on the road. No need to search for a rest area or maneuver thru a McDonald's parking lot. Grab a snack and cold drink at the same time. No rush at the campsite getting hoses connected either.

You paid for this convenience. Use it.

Our freshwater tank is 30 gallons so adds 250 pounds to the trailer's weight. Tank is internal and sits on the floor in a cabinet so there's no extra stress on anything like a tank hanging on a couple of straps. Good, clean, known source city water goes in the tank.

Additionally I run the water heater before we depart so we have warm water on the road as well. Tank stays at least warm for hours.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Traveling with fresh water is an often debated topic.
Some carry full tanks, some carry enough to get by on the trip to the destination and some never carry any.

Here's what we do...

When boondocking, we always carry a full fresh tank.

If the trip is to a place we've been before, has hook-ups AND is within 1-2 hours from home then we only carry whatever is in that tank at the time. (but always about a 1/4 tank) From visiting there previously, we know the city water hook-up is good quality water.

If the trip is to someplace we've never been, we'll take a full tank, regardless of the distance, until we know the water quality situation at the destination.

If the trip is more than a few hours away, (making a quick return trip home more difficult should you have problems along the way or once arriving) we ALWAYS travel with a full fresh tank.

We've been in two different situations that have taught us having water is way better than the small (often negligent) advantages of towing without water.

One... we were traveling with my uncle and they had a major breakdown and had to be towed to a repair facility. We were hours from home, nowhere close to our destination and nowhere close to a campground. We wound up staying two days in the repair facility parking lot (with my uncle & aunt saying with us) and had we not had water, it would have not been nearly as ideal.

Two.. we arrived at a campground after a 6-7 hour trip only to find their well water pump was not operating. The entire campground had no water but that made no difference to us, we had a full tank. They got the water fixed in a day and everything was OK as far as supply/quality but we sure were glad to be able to take a shower and use our facilities after a long day on the road.

As mentioned, some of the lighter weight trailers have reported issues with flimsy tank straps and bracing. Although later reports have indicated an improvement.

You'll need to inspect and know your fresh water tank limitations and make your own decisions.

We would never own a rig that we could not travel with a FULL fresh water tank.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

a fresh water tank is built to carry water - no worries - carry as much as you think you'll need - most who travel often NEVER let their water tank empty - you never know when you may run into a situation where you need a lot more than you ever considered.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
a fresh water tank is built to carry water - no worries - carry as much as you think you'll need - most who travel often NEVER let their water tank empty - you never know when you may run into a situation where you need a lot more than you ever considered.
Exactly!
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Fresh Water Tank

We don't boondock much but we do go to Assateague (no hookups) from time to time and when we make that trip I fill up at home and drive the 150+ miles with no issues. These pages have made me very paranoid about it so I watch it closely but I am beginning to not worry about it.

We DO travel with about 1/3 of a tank for stops and unplanned overnights on the road. I also keep the water heater warmed up and refer on.

Have fun!

Marty

Tags
fresh water, water