Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Front skin material

Can any tell me what the rounded front skin (above the diamond plate) is made of on a Grey Wolf or Wolf pack toy hauler with aluminum sides? The Forest River website says virtually nothing about construction of their trailers on the brochures. Two dealers have told me the front skin is aluminum and two dealers have told me fiberglass. With so much conversation about various materials that trailers are made of, I am baffled why the answer to this simple question is so hard to find.
jimbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

Gotta be fiberglass.

Just curious, but why is this important to you?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Feels plasticy when I touch it... Either fiberglass or some sort of thin plastic material ... Definitely not aluminum.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If it is rounded, generally fiberglass. Too much labor to round aluminum. It might be some plastic something. Might remove a screw or two, and see look at the hole and try to and determine. What you have mentioned here is Grey Wolf, and Wolf Pack. No year, or model. Might help to be a little more specific. Also what are you asking? Cracks that need to be repaired? Replacement? Removal?

Sometimes when you tell the whole story, you get better answers, especially on here.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

I thought the Gray Wolf standard was aluminum but there was a fiberglass option. It seems there was a thread on this awhile back and the fiberglass added around 500lbs to the 19rr.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

I don't think you want any type of aluminum on the front. Could easily get dinged from rocks reflected from the tow vehicle. There are two choices for the sides - aluminum or fiberglass.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I thought the Gray Wolf standard was aluminum but there was a fiberglass option. It seems there was a thread on this awhile back and the fiberglass added around 500lbs to the 19rr.
That is for the sidewalls. The front cap is the same on both.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

The front skin is made of recycled plastic bottles which have been heated and reshaped. The factory buys them from the homeless and this is part of their green initiative.

uh huh.
choctaw60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

I was asking about new 2011 or 2012 GRey Wolf Toy hauler 19rr 21rr 0r 25rr or Wolf pack 27wp models. They all have the same rounded front ends now. I was told by an ebay dealer that the front was a heavier aluminum than the sides but all you guys think it is fiberglass or plastic. I guess I gotta call the factory. I will let ya know what I find out.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #10

[QUOTE=jimbo1;168417]I was asking about new 2011 or 2012 GRey Wolf Toy hauler 19rr 21rr 0r 25rr or Wolf pack 27wp models. They all have the same rounded front ends now. I was told by an ebay dealer that the front was a heavier aluminum than the sides but all you guys think it is fiberglass or plastic. I guess I gotta call the factory. I will let ya know what I find out.]
dude the lower portion is aluminum diamond plate. the upper portion is curved fiberglass.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #11

I was told by my dealer that the surface is actually thin aluminum but it feels like plastic
Revealjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Tapping on it will tell pretty quickly if it is metal or not. It looks to me like it may be the laminate wall material used on pretty much all the other FR lines that have the Laminate side walls.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #13

I looked at mine closley today. It sure looks to me like the same material as the hard side walls. Definatley not aluminum.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #14

I think it all depends what your side walls are made of if they are fiberglass then the front is fiberglass if they are aluminum then the front is aluminum
Revealjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #15

My sidewalls are aluminum and my front cap is fiberglass. I would be very suprised it they make two different fronts.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
Can any tell me what the rounded front skin (above the diamond plate) is made of on a Grey Wolf or Wolf pack toy hauler with aluminum sides? The Forest River website says virtually nothing about construction of their trailers on the brochures. Two dealers have told me the front skin is aluminum and two dealers have told me fiberglass. With so much conversation about various materials that trailers are made of, I am baffled why the answer to this simple question is so hard to find.
You guys probably don't need my 2 cents worth, since it has been awhile since the discussion about the diamond tread on the front. I have a 2012 21RR and the upper curved pieces are white painted aluminum sheeting and the diamond tread is artificial simulated in a Mylar (like) plastic.
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
You guys probably don't need my 2 cents worth, since it has been awhile since the discussion about the diamond tread on the front. I have a 2012 21RR and the upper curved pieces are white painted aluminum sheeting and the diamond tread is artificial simulated in a Mylar (like) plastic.
That makes sense about the aluminum. It is much more flexible than fiberglass. Whatever it is, it has held up ok. I thought it would be prone to damage from rocks/road debris.

I was also skeptical about that diamond plate since it was also very flexible.

Whatever, it's holding up and looks good. Much lighter than the alternatives I guess.

Either way, I stand corrected and I feel shame.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #18

They must have made some changes. Mine is most defiantly diamond plate aluminum on the bottom and fiberglass on the top. My trailer is a 2012 model. Picked it up in early March.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
That makes sense about the aluminum. It is much more flexible than fiberglass. Whatever it is, it has held up ok. I thought it would be prone to damage from rocks/road debris.

I was also skeptical about that diamond plate since it was also very flexible.

Whatever, it's holding up and looks good. Much lighter than the alternatives I guess.

Either way, I stand corrected and I feel shame.
It is I friend who feels the sting of a poor decision, for buying this "thing"... construction is very poor... I had thoughts of building my own, so... I get to rebuild this one. I can overlook a few things, but this is RIDICULOUS! Sorry for shouting! :-)
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #20

It's both

OK folks. I said I would finally get with the corporate offices and find out what these curved front skins are made of. I just talked to "Russell" at the main plant in Topeka, In. He advised that with the Wolf Pack and Cherokee units that they make there the front skin can be either aluminum or fiberglass. The Aluminum sided trailers have ALUMINUM front skins. You can tell if they are aluminum if they have a horizontal seam or indentation across the middle of the curved skin where they seam two pieces of aluminum together. Most of their fiberglass sided trailers have fiberglass front skins but some will have aluminum instead. He said that the aluminum is easier to curve and fit to the interior materials vs. the fiberglass which can develop stress cracks over time. Now we know the answer. Thanks for your comments and observations.