Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Furnace in 27DFWP blew fuses

My toyhauler ran out of propane Saturday night and I was unaware until I realized the Suburban Furnace was not running. I switched the tank over and the furnace did not light. I noticed the 15amp fuse was blown. I turned the heat off and then replaced the fuse. Turned the heat back on and the fuse blows again. I waited approx 45 minutes and replaced the fuse again and it was fine for the next 24 hours or so of use. Not sure why the fuse blew the second time. I figured the first time was from trying to reignite. Has anyone else had this happen?

Someone on another forum mentioned that it may not have ran out of propane. I figured it ran out since the tank was icy at the bottom (temp outside was 41F).

This is in a 2009 Forest River Cherokee Wolfpack.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Has it blown again? I'd suspect a shorted ignitor rod, but can't explain how it could fix itself. If you find out what did it I'd sure be interested to know.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Bama,
one blown fuse might mean nothing but 2 in a row means something!
My advice is to take it back to the dealer and tell them it's blowing
fuses. Hopefully an inspection by them will find the problem.
(pinched wire, shorted ignitor, even a stiff blower motor, etc....)
DON'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR TO COMPLAIN.
Get it looked at while you're in warranty!!!

Good luck and happy camping!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

On RV.net I was told by several to look at the hi-limit switch wires since they are know to melt and ground when the burner gets hot on the SF models. Sure enough -- I pulled the cover off and the hi limit switch white wire was tight as could be against the burner and had a mark where it turned up against the edge of the burner by the model tag. Most likely it was grounding out on the burner as was mentioned. I rerouted the white wire to have more slack and then wrapped it in 220F elec tape with heat tape around it. Suburban could have done better by making that wire 3" longer!! The black wire had plenty of slack.

Anyway -- looks like an easy fix. I am certain that fixed it.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamerr View Post
On RV.net I was told by several to look at the hi-limit switch wires since they are know to melt and ground when the burner gets hot on the SF models. Sure enough -- I pulled the cover off and the hi limit switch white wire was tight as could be against the burner and had a mark where it turned up against the edge of the burner by the model tag. Most likely it was grounding out on the burner as was mentioned. I rerouted the white wire to have more slack and then wrapped it in 220F elec tape with heat tape around it. Suburban could have done better by making that wire 3" longer!! The black wire had plenty of slack.

Anyway -- looks like an easy fix. I am certain that fixed it.
Congrats on finding the source of the short. This definitely adds to a list of things to check when that fuse blows. As for 3" more of wire, well there's no reason to try and bring common sense into the equation. Whether it's human error or manufacturer's specs, someone didn't do their job before that furnace was shipped to FR for install. I'm just glad to hear you were able to get some slack in the wire to obtain the clearance from the burner. At least you know the fuse is doing it's job. It really could have been worse.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Site Team

I love a happy ending!!
Now everyone can learn from your experience!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Head Rambler

Glad you found it. That's exactly the kind of information we need. Thanks for coming back and letting us know what the problem and the fix was.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #8

On the same day when this thread was posted, we had a problem with a Data Air computer room unit, the Mechanic on duty check the unit out and he replaced the fuses twice because they kept blowing. He checked the compressor out and he said it was Ok but didn't know why this was happening. I am not saying any thing bad about the Mechanic he is good but he did not check it completely. We check the unit out together and I found that the compressor was grounded. He checked all three legs, but never went to ground. Just as it is stated above, if a fuse blows or a breaker tripes there is a reason this is a safety device not only to protect the equipment but you as well........My work did not stop there that day.......On the way home my wife called and said that the hot water heater in the house was not working, so once I got I cheched the hot water pipes on the heater and they were cold, I went to the breaker and it looked like it was turned off but not in the trip position, I turn the breaker back on and as soon as it was almost on It tripped with a with a bang, well here I go again, I am thinking that the water heater Is grounded but it wasn't It was fine, now tracing the wires back I found a 1900 box that had a burn mark, I open the box and found that the insulation on the wires had rub againest the connector and shorted out. It is odd to have a bad fuse, with age they do break down and with breakers, I have come across one In 20 years and that was at Frontier Town in Ocean City three years ago in a camp site, the breaker was weak and would not hold.

Tags
27dfwp, cherokee wolfpack