Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Generator for Wolf Pup?

Hi all,

We have the Wolf Pup Toy Hauler. Wondering how large of a generator we would need for our new Wolf Pup. We want to be able to use the AC and are camping places without any hook ups.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a 13K or 15K AC?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

I believe it's 13.5k
Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Minimum for a 13.5k a/c, is a Yamaha 2400w inverter generator.
It's advertised as being able to run MOST 13.5 a/c's.
A 3000w inverter generator should easily handle your a/c. I recommend the Champion 3100w inverter generator.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Champion 3100 Inverter. Quiet, reliable, and it runs a 15k A/C fine.
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #6

You are going to get lots of advice on generators!!!! Avoid the contractor style and definitely go with the inverter models.

We found that the 3000+ models were all too heavy and cumbersome for us to handle easily by ourselves.

We decided on buying 2 Honda EU2000I and running them parallel when we need AC. Otherwise we run one at a time. And we can load/unload/store them very easily.

One caution when making your choice. Cheaper is not better. Our Hondas are approaching 10 years old and still going strong. During this time our friends that went the cheaper route have had half a dozen or more generators.

Also think about an extended feed tank for longer stays.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 AM   #7

I think we need a dedicated FORUM for genny questions.

Seriously, the above info is all good.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

First off, how often will you use the AC while boondocking? If you wont use it that often, the 2000 in parallel might be the best for you. You only need to bring one unless you are going to run the AC.
I ran into problems going with just one, even without running AC. Camping at 10,000 feet your power is down, the converter pulled to much juice charging the battery's popping the breaker, and it would not run the Keurig without popping the breaker! lol So, now I just run the 3100. And the remote start is awesome! Don't have to go outside to turn it on or off, well worth the extra money. The 3100 is cheaper than 2-2000 watt Champions, Amazon has the best price.

I have had Champion generators for years, and they work great! There customer service is wonderful. I had a problem with the generator dying, just there 1200watt model. After running for less than an hour it would die. Called for help, the gas cap was the problem, which I figured out on my own. He said to crack the cap if I was going to run it, meanwhile they sent me a new cap that vents for free!

I have had the 2000watt inverter generators run in parallel and I bought the 3100 with electric start. With the toy hauler, I don't have to pick up the 3100, I just roll it in the trailer. And if I do pick it up, it is not that cumbersome honestly.
Yes Honda's are great generators! And, at a premium price. I think for the price, the Champions are a great deal.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

This sounds just like our fireside discussions!!

I agree with Steve... Champions are a great deal as long as you know what you are getting into. And also his point about the electric remote start... best option ever. If I ever get a toy-hauler.. that's what I'm getting. Honda of course

Most of my camping buddies have had several Champions (emphasis on several. And we all agree it's a good deal (about half the price of Honda). But know you will have to put up with shorter life span, rougher running (burping), oil consumption, and less power output than the comparable Honda. Noise on Champions is slightly higher, but not enough to be a drawback. Never fails that we have to work on somebodies Champion carburetor every trip.

With one 2000 Honda we run the coffee pot and the TV with no problems, whatever altitude we have been at. I've never heard of a converter kicking any generator breaker for battery charging until now.

Just do your research and read all the reviews before you buy so you wont have any surprises.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

NatlChamp

I have a 2014 Wolf Pup and air conditioner is mounted in the sidewall. It's only 5000btu's. Make sure you verify the size of your unit before you do anything. I also have a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator and it runs air fine even at altitude. Air conditioner is really too small but that's what it came with and haven't had a problem yet but most of my time is in the high mountains and I try and park in the shade. Good luck.

Tags
generator