Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Got a quick question

My 26rr with electric jack is currently stored at a family members home not plugged in. The battery has drained down and no power to jack. Will I need to plug it in to power to be able to pick it up or will plugging it into towing vehicle provide power to jack?
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

the tow vehicle should provide 12 volt power. Key word being "should".
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Yes it should be able to power the jacks, but you should have a charged battery before towing. That is what powers your brakes if the trailer separates and the break away switch is pulled. Not good for a battery to be allowed to die either, it will shorten its life or end it.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Site Team

the 12V line in the Bergman connector should power the winch if battery is just little low. If the TT battery is dead, and you connect TT to TV there is a good chance that you will blow the fuse in the TV as the TV will see very high load. I would charge the TT battery first by either connecting it power or taking it home.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
the tow vehicle should provide 12 volt power. Key word being "should".

To the OP, to help clarify:

Not all trucks supply power right from the factory. My Ram did, my brother's Ford needed a Relay installed. Can't speak for GM, neither of us have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help guys
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #7

You should have a tool that came with TT to raise jack manually.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #8

My Chevy does supply power. Not sure if it will be enough to lift yours if really dead though.

A battery tender would be a good option to have. Either connect it at site if possible or remove the battery, bring it home and then trickle charge it until needed the next time. The latter is what I do. Works great!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
Site Team

As an addendum somewhat: You have parasitic battery draws from the CO detector, digital displays like on the radio, etc. These will drain a battery when not plugged into a form of shore power that recharges your battery thru the converter.

To help with this, you can install a battery cutoff switch, or disconnect the negative terminal from your battery when storing.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Hey wmtire - what is the reason for disconnecting the negative wire vs the positive?
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1984 View Post
My 26rr with electric jack is currently stored at a family members home not plugged in. The battery has drained down and no power to jack. Will I need to plug it in to power to be able to pick it up or will plugging it into towing vehicle provide power to jack?
Much great advise from others. However don't wait to long to get the battery charged again. If you leave it discharged the water will become more like water and will freeze. You will probably need to purchase a new battery if freezing occurs. I had a seldom used car that drained the battery without me being aware and since I live in Minnesota the sever cold actually cracked the battery. Just glad I found out before it thawed out (whew). That would have been a mess to clean up battery water.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Many of the new TVs are wired for the 12V aux pin in the Bargman, but to have it functional, you need to add a fuse, relay or both. Some vehicles provide the fuse/relay but it is in a plastic bag in the glove box. Even if you do have it, It will not charge a dead battery in normal use. Note if you have a relay, that pin is not powered when the ignition is off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

My newer trailer with the power lift, is probably a lippert product, and it is mounted on the head of the jack. There is a rubber plug that is dominant in the center of the top. pull the plug and you can see a nut that is the same size as my lug nuts and stabilizer jacks. I used a socket, extension and a ratchet to turn the nut but I bet I could have used that wimpy speed crank they supply with the trailer. by turning the bolt either way it winds the jack either up or down. It takes a little winding but it works. If you have the same kind of jack, maybe that will help.....Walt
dont tread on me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #14

if the battery is dead when you plug into the TV it may take all the juice and not allow the jack to work

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #15

My electric jack has comes with a manual wrench to insert in the top of the jack to move it up and down. Does yours have this manual options?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #16

I use a Coleman Solar 12 Volt Battery Maintainer to keep my battery charged that I bought from Northern Tool.

Coleman Solar 12 Volt Battery Maintainers — Twin Pack, Model# 58215 | Amorphous Solar Panels| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

I've had to use the truck to power the jack before. I always take the battery with me and put it on a trickle charger between trips now.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
Hey wmtire - what is the reason for disconnecting the negative wire vs the positive?
It is safer to remove the wire from the ground terminal from a battery post first because touching the frame with your wrench will not cause a spark. If you remove the wire from the positive battery terminal first you will get a high-current spark if your wrench touches the frame or other grounded metal. Once the ground wire is removed from the battery, touching the metal frame while removing the positive wire will not cause a spark if your wrench touches the frame, etc.

When installing a battery, install the positive wires first before installing the ground (negative) wire for the same reasons as above.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
No, grounding, no sparking
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
It is safer to remove the wire from the ground terminal from a battery post first because touching the frame with your wrench will not cause a spark. If you remove the wire from the positive battery terminal first you will get a high-current spark if your wrench touches the frame or other grounded metal. Once the ground wire is removed from the battery, touching the metal frame while removing the positive wire will not cause a spark if your wrench touches the frame, etc.

When installing a battery, install the positive wires first before installing the ground (negative) wire for the same reasons as above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
No, grounding, no sparking
TDR and pdqparalegal1 summed it up quite well. It's really a mechanics safety issue, and best practice type of thing. You can actually disconnect either the positive or the negative to accomplish this, but it's safer to disconnect the negative.

I explained it in more detail in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1006208

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote