Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Grey Wolf 19RR - Nuts/Bolts for Rear Ramp Door

I was reading on the forum that many 19RR Grey Wolf owners were claiming Forest River left the nuts and washers off of 4 of the 6 bolts that mount the 3 hinges for the rear ramp to the bumper. At first glance, I assumed my new 19RR was the same way. However, looking closer, the outer two bolts are pressed through and washers and nuts are put on the back side of the bumper to initially mount the rear ramp. You will notice that the 4 inner bolts are different bolts. They have a star drive socket in the center and they are not missing the washer and bolts, but instead, these bolts tap directly into the bumper. Otherwise, they would push right out or bounce out.

Not sure if I agree with FR that the 4 inner bolts can just be tapped into the steel bumper. Washers and nuts on all 6 is probably stronger, but the metal bumper is pretty thick, so tightening them down into a tapped hole is probably strong enough.

It's just a little shocking at first glance up under the bumper and only 2 of the 6 bolts sticking through the bumper have nuts on them!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf View Post
I was reading on the forum that many 19RR Grey Wolf owners were claiming Forest River left the nuts and washers off of 4 of the 6 bolts that mount the 3 hinges for the rear ramp to the bumper. At first glance, I assumed my new 19RR was the same way. However, looking closer, the outer two bolts are pressed through and washers and nuts are put on the back side of the bumper to initially mount the rear ramp. You will notice that the 4 inner bolts are different bolts. They have a star drive socket in the center and they are not missing the washer and bolts, but instead, these bolts tap directly into the bumper. Otherwise, they would push right out or bounce out.

Not sure if I agree with FR that the 4 inner bolts can just be tapped into the steel bumper. Washers and nuts on all 6 is probably stronger, but the metal bumper is pretty thick, so tightening them down into a tapped hole is probably strong enough.

It's just a little shocking at first glance up under the bumper and only 2 of the 6 bolts sticking through the bumper have nuts on them!
I feel better adding nuts and washers to those inner bolts.....

Tags
grey wolf