Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Grey Wolf 21RR pulled with a druango hemi

Any thoughts on my wanting to go with a 21RR for two bikes to be pulled with a 2008 Durango with the 5.7 hemi. Well in the tow limits but want some input from anyone doing something like it.

bikerbill48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
I would imagine with a good WDH setup every thing will work out great for you.

2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Just be sure to double and triple check ALL of the figures. You should have plenty of power. But don't take anyone's word as it's your responsibility to be safe for yourself, your passengers, and even others on the road.

With that said, you have the horsepower. The brakes are probably fine, but I'd check to make sure. To me the biggest concern would be hitch weight, and what you have in the Durango along with it's options. Remember passenger weight, and cargo subtracts from your hitch weight and towing ability.
Hokie_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
In adding to Hokie_Camper's post.

Call your Dodge dealer with your VIN. See what your Durango is rated to tow. There was a difference in tow ratings depending on the 3.55 or 3.92 axles. The GVWR of the 21RR is over the rated tow capacity of the 3.55 axle.

Make sure you have the tow package which should include an auxiliary transmission cooler.

The listed empty hitch weight of the 21RR is almost 700 lbs.....that is probably gonna be over well over 800 lbs. ready to camp...although the bikes in back should lessen that some. Check the sticker on your receiver hitch to make sure it is rated to carry that kind of weight.

Weigh your Durango with your passengers, and cargo. Subtract that weight from GVWR listed on the driver's side door. Make sure you have enough capacity left to allow for a 800 (?) lb. hitch hanging on the back of your SUV.

Even though the model number is a 21, that is not the length of that trailer. That puppy is 27'. That is a long trailer to be pulled by a mid-sized SUV with a 119" wheelbase. Top of the line control will be needed. Consider a WDH with integrated sway control.

I think you will be pushing the limits in a couple of different categories.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote