Old 08-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
I do not think this poor workmanship is limited to Forest River products. I think that the whole industry is driven by pumping the units out. I'm on my forth Rv and have seen this on different brands as well as comments from other owners be it a Thor, Jayco, Keystone or FR product. Does not make it right, just the norm.

ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I was a couple weeks away from ordering a Class C 3011 when a noticed a few threads like this. After finding many more I decided to never buy a FR product.
We are looking at a new FR and that's why I am on the FRF. SHORT of Lance or Airstream, FR MIGHT BE THE BEST.

Or, in other words, the rest look even worse. So far I can fix the FR probs. No so sure on some we looked at.

Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
You can always come to the FROG Rally (forest river owners group) where all concerns are addressed and fixed
paulj4400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
I imagine they would fix these issues but I think that is not the point. Can you imagine the cheapest automobile out there Kia Hyundai etc leaving the factory with electric lines, gas lines, brake lines etc loose, wrapped around suspension parts, not hooked up etc? There would be hell to pay. I guess it will take a multiple death accident with the attendant lawyering up of the family going after these shoddy practices. You can bet they will be referring to all these negative social media posts at the trial.
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
I just fixed this same issue (along with several others) on my new 2015 Salem.
2015 Salem261 BHXL
2014 Sierra 1500 Z71
2015 nights camped 90
2016 nights camped so far 37
Craigban157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
Anyone that thinks this is just a FR problem hasn't looked closely at others... The whole quality thing is pretty sad. I don't think even Airstreams are built all that well. Like others, I spend a lot of time working on mine. I'm researching now for a new one next year and it's disappointing...
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
First time I slid under my trailer, I ended up going to the auto parts store and purchasing about four packs of plastic wiring conduit in two different sizes, and a few rolls of electrical tape.
Then returning to the underside of the trailer and covering all the wiring, hoses with plastic and wrapping with electrical tape and in a few places, also rapping with some gorilla tape.
The interior screws having to be replaced with the next larger size with some wood glue, and in some cases, a small piece of wood behind the flimsy paneling to hold the screws in place is another matter.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
Cyber Phrenologist
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
Wow, thanks for identifying this potential problem... under the RV I go.
Yep, same here. One more thing to do.

Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Poor Quality Control

Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I was a couple weeks away from ordering a Class C 3011 when a noticed a few threads like this. After finding many more I decided to never buy a FR product.
It took us almost a year and a trip to our dealer to find out what was going on with our faulty trailer brakes (stutter). The rear axle brakes were never hooked up at the factory. So, we feel the same way about FR products. What is so discouraging is that the trade magazines don't address the quality aspects of the products they're presenting. They're useless - I'm skeptical of every thing they write about now.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
Have to agree it's an industry wide quality issues. But for the millions of units running around our Great Country the problems are a small percentage. We have a 27' Flagstaff and have not experience any issues. A lot of the of owners concerns are not lack of quality by plant workers, but Engineering designs. What looks good on paper may not work in real construction/assembly.
Just toured the Flagstaff/Rockwood assembly plant. Was impressed with the diligence of the workers and assembly process.
Let's not blame the manufacturer, when the Dealers are paid for the "Predelivery Inspection". Many customer concerns could be solved before a unit is sold.

It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote