Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Just picked up 25RR

Got it around 3:00PM and drove it to the campground.

Impressions so far. From a person that never has done travel trailers/campers. I'll be griping but I kinda like it so far. Some obvious issues though. I have two days camping from the guy that sold it to me so I'm kicking the tires before taking off.

size: I'd say comfortable. About what I expected. There is enough room to actually feel like I'm walking to something.

seats: More comfortable than I expected. Kinda like them.

bathroom: I thought airplane bathrooms were small. Holy crap. Gotta open the door so the left half of my body has some place to go. I'm 6'1" and around 300lbs. But sheesh. Have to bend over in the shower also. I keep expecting Ken and Barbie to burst into the bathroom.

build quality: Out of 10 I'd give them around a 7.5. They have drunk midgets build these things?? Some things are just done without care. I think Hank (The angry drunken dwarf) went on a bender and crawled under the camper with a staple gun on auto. His drunken dwarf cousin did the welding. I mean. Jesus. I'd fire somebody for that kind of work. To top it off are these stickers on the camper relating to quality checks. Scares me. I wonder what is wrong that I cannot see... Obviously, it left an impression.

queen bed: I think I'll be putting an air matter under the existing mattress. My 46 year old body can't take sleeping on plywood disguised by something that resembles a mattress. Lol.

weight: It's supposed to be pretty light but I was surprised by how much I could feel it behind my truck (2003 5.4L Triton V8, towing package). I've never hauled anything in my life and haven't owned a truck very long. People said you'll hardly notice it's back there. They lied. btw, I have a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway. I'm just talking about the weight.

TV: the flat panel placement on these isn't very good and wasted a lot of cabinet space IMHO. I'll be moving that.

Off to go "experience" sleeping on that plywood platform. I have back problems. This is going to be a long night.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Within just hours you are already out in your new unit camping! The Barbie and Ken comment had me laughing because it's a phase I also used in regards to what my Rav4 could had towed.

As for the mattess - you will be happy once you upgrade. I brought a Mattess-in-a-box from Walmart and really like it. The RV "mattress" went to my sister for her dog to sleep on.

As for the size of the bathroom - so sorry. Not sure what your plan will be if company is present but will let you work that one out.

Please keep us updated on your first campout. Remember we like picures too.

Happy Camping!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Didn't sleep on that thing which claimed to be a mattress. But I had a very comfortable night's sleep. Evidently those two bench seats that were comfortable to sit on make a comfortable bed also. I was going to take the mattress and lay it on top of bench seat cushions but there was no need. Slept well. I expected to wake up going "Oh God! My back!". Instead, I slept in.

I'll try to get some pictures today. Yesterday I was running around too much.

Still a little concerned about hauling this thing around. Everything I read said I'd be ok hauling this. I feel like and old fat dude running a steeple chase with a 200 pound woman on my back. Wait,,, that's how I life my life... The truck is doomed.

Oh, stabilization jacks. Evidently my trailer had all kinds of nice options, minus the stabilization jacks in the back. How hard are those to add on? It blows chunks walking around and the thing swaying. If I am truly unhappy about something at this point it is this. Also, I didn't have a spare tire either.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Team

No hurry on the pictures, just take care of what needs to be and have fun. Glad to hear you were able to get some sleep. Even with adding a 4in form topper it wasn't enough for my sad RV mattress pad.

I was surprised to find out my trailer didn't have the stabilization jacks either. I had them added on (front & rear) and it really helps a lot. It doesn't seem hard to install but would recommend hearing from other members.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

The dealer should provide/install the stabilizers for you. I would start there. Also, anybody that says they tow these things with a half ton and "didn't even know it was back there" is completely full of shiite. They can be towed with a 1/2 ton, but they don't like hills or a nasty headwind. I bought an Innerspace mattress to replace the stocker. Nice upgrade.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Got it in the driveway late last night. Drove 65 most of the way with overdrive off for 375 miles. May I never ever follow my phone directions again. Of the 375 miles I probably did 300 on the back roads, hills and all. I flew down into valleys, viewed scenic ridgeline vistas, and careened across small bridges. Stupid damn phone. Maybe stupid damn me for following it.

On level road I held 65 easy and could do the same up to medium grades but some of the hills I hit were the kind where there is a right lane for slow traffic and I needed it. Most of the time I could maintain at least 55 but on a couple occasions I got down to 45. I definately knew the camper was back there.

I took some pictures and I may get them up tomorrow. Today I was just wiped out. Hauling that camper down those back roads late at night waiting for a deer to run out and say hi drained me a bit.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Site Team

After a mix-up I have learned to take a peek at the "Turn-by-turn" directions on my GPS.

Glad you have home safe with your new camper. Kick back and just relax for a bit.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #8

Thought I'd post a few of the images of me taking it home. First, the prep images. I was a little concerned about the tongue weight so below is my solution. Since the tongue weight was so high for the trailer weight I assumed it was because they expected you to be towing something at least in the very back which would take some weight off of the tongue.

I purchased a liquids container from a farm store and fitted it with a spiggot at the bottom.

I bought some rubber floor mats for a truck to put under the tank to keep it from sliding and got some 1,000lb straps to hold it in place. It didn't budge one inch through 375 miles of backroads (mostly) so a decent implementation.

The tank was a 65 gallon tank and with it full I got 542 lbs in the back. I was hoping this got around 200 lbs off of the tongue. Not sure but it was pretty close to the back of the trailer.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Here is the truck after little ole non truck driving, never owned a camper or pulled anything, me hooked it up to leave. Totally virgin tower here folks. Had no idea what to expect. Wasn't looking forward to leaving either because I had a steep hill to climb before I got to the main road.

And after I had just climbed that hill (fairly easy also) I stopped to double check everything and take one more pic before heading out.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

Looking in to picking up a toy hauler and the 25RR is my #1 choice. I have owned two previous travel trailers and towed them with the 4.6l V8 in my 08 F150 4X4. I definately knew I was towing (first trailer weighed 6000+ and the current one weighs 4000+) Traded in the 08 F150 for a 2011 EcoBoost equipped F150 and the difference in towing is night & day. This truck pulls like a diesel & with the factory installed hitch, brakes & sway control, towing is far easier than the 4.6 equipped F150. My only complaint on the 2011 F150 is the smaller fuel tank (98l vs 140l) on what is Ford's # 1 rated 1/2 ton for towing. They fixed that issue on the 2012 models
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote