Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Just purchased a 23DFWP Wolfpack

Still six weeks out on delivery. I'm very concerned about the tongue weight. I'm buying a cat IV towing package, which I hope will be enough.

Very concerned why the tongue weight is so heavy on these trailers. Is there a way to load them to knock off a couple 100 lbs of tongue weight. I'm thinking maybe of loading a 55 gallon barrel of water or two behind the axel.

I bought the pro star elite Eaz-lift Weight Distributing Hitch. Do I need more. My rig is a Chev Tahoe 4x4, heavy duty half ton, rated for 1000lb hitch and 10000lb pull.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yea, you bought a toy hauler, best I can tell. The toys in the back will offset some of the tongue weight since they are behind the axle. The tow ratings you listed, 10,000 pull and 1000 tongue, are for the hitch itself, not the truck. Better check the vehicle tow ratings, but you are going to have your hands full. I'm not familiar with that hitch system, so make sure you get sway control.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

your weight dist kit will re distribute the tongue load, the eaz kit is decent but the Equalizer brand kit is much better and has built in sway control. If you are able to return the one you bought you might take a look at the link below, if not then make sure you get sway controls, left and right is the are offered. hope you enjoy your wolfpack, they are a nice toy hauler.
?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Almost 800 mile trip home ith the new trailer

Got home yesterday and the trailer hauled great. The EAZ distribution hitch made it a cinch. No sway, no problems. The best haul speed seemed to be about 60 miles an hour, but I did get up near 75.

It seemed to operate best when NOT using cruise control. I wasn't happy with the engine RMP @ 4500, when pulling a hill in cruise control. Without cruise control, RPM at about 3500-3800 would maintain the same speed up hills. Also the lockout for overdrive also brought the RPMs up about 500 RPMs and redued the fule mileage.

Weight of hitch or trailer wasn't an issue with 2004 Chevy Tahoe. After the first 100 miles, I almost forgot I was towing a trailer, except that I had to stop every 200 miles to fill the gas tank.

If and when I shop for a new tow rig, I'm looking for more horsepower and bigger fuel tanks for sure. Perhaps HD Ford F150 or F250 2 wheel drive.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollan View Post

It seemed to operate best when NOT using cruise control. I wasn't happy with the engine RMP @ 4500, when pulling a hill in cruise control. Without cruise control, RPM at about 3500-3800 would maintain the same speed up hills. Also the lockout for overdrive also brought the RPMs up about 500 RPMs and redued the fule mileage.

If and when I shop for a new tow rig, I'm looking for more horsepower and bigger fuel tanks for sure. Perhaps HD Ford F150 or F250 2 wheel drive.
I drive with the cruise control off unless I am on really level ground. I also drive with OD engaged, but will manually disengage if I know the transmission is going to shift soon. Some trips I never get the tach over 3100 rpms. 3500 rpms is about max for me, and I would cringe at 4500.....although the engines are made for that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee wolfpack