Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #121

Frequency????

This frame problem is a VERY serious issue; however, it's likely the exception rather than the rule. If NHTSA and/or state safety officials had a significant number of documented cases of unsafe RV's on the roadways some action would be taken against the manufacturers....at least we hope so!
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #122

how many have ACTUALLY broke vs NOT broke? i know this is a very serious situation.....but maybe we are perhaps over reacting a bit?

my bf goodrich tire blew out last week almost sending me into the ditch. if i find 3 other people this happened to, does that mean we should all rebel against bfg? does that make bfg a bad company? should we send them to china to have them made?

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #123

Lippert Frame Defects

Kat

We haven't heard back from you on what happened with Forest River and what did you decide to do?
Did you just get it welded and sent them the bill?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
how many have ACTUALLY broke vs NOT broke? i know this is a very serious situation.....but maybe we are perhaps over reacting a bit?

my bf goodrich tire blew out last week almost sending me into the ditch. if i find 3 other people this happened to, does that mean we should all rebel against bfg? does that make bfg a bad company? should we send them to china to have them made?
Do a search on google there are many more than 3.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #125

"how many have ACTUALLY broke vs NOT broke? i know this is a very serious situation.....but maybe we are perhaps over reacting a bit?"
==========================================
The truth is that this is a failure that should never happen, period.
One cannot over-react to such a situation.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #126

Yeah it's really no big deal. Here are some pics of my trailer, it's just a "minor" issue right?

It's obvious from the pics I have seen that these failures could easily cause an accident which could easily harm or kill people. Imagine your fifth wheel detaching from your truck. I guess if it only happens once in a while no one should be concerned correct?

Oh and by the way the dealer doing my repairs received word from Bob at Forest River that our trailer repairs will NOT be covered by Forest River. Interesting since Kat the original poster has the EXACT same year and model trailer 2008 Cherokee Wolfpack 295WP as we have and Bob DID cover her expenses.

Also another poster in this thread pammer82 had their frame failure expenses covered by Forest River for their palomino puma 5th wheel, model 295 kbh-ss.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #127

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #128

Is that front crossmember just built out of tin?
You can see where it warped by the welds.
That should be a heavy steel tube.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #129
Hob

I'm certainly glad we have decided against buying any 5th wheel from any manufacturer until we quit hearing about frame problems. These frame problems are totally unacceptable. I don't care if they fall within some engineers specifications for mathematically expected failures. Figures lie and liars figure.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295WP View Post
Oh and by the way the dealer doing my repairs received word from Bob at Forest River that our trailer repairs will NOT be covered by Forest River.
Time for a lawyer?????
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295WP View Post
Yeah it's really no big deal. Here are some pics of my trailer, it's just a "minor" issue right?

It's obvious from the pics I have seen that these failures could easily cause an accident which could easily harm or kill people. Imagine your fifth wheel detaching from your truck. I guess if it only happens once in a while no one should be concerned correct?

Oh and by the way the dealer doing my repairs received word from Bob at Forest River that our trailer repairs will NOT be covered by Forest River. Interesting since Kat the original poster has the EXACT same year and model trailer 2008 Cherokee Wolfpack 295WP as we have and Bob DID cover her expenses.

Also another poster in this thread pammer82 had their frame failure expenses covered by Forest River for their palomino puma 5th wheel, model 295 kbh-ss.
To clarify after speaking to Bob directly today: Forest River is saying this is Lippert's issue since they manufacture the frames. My service guy basically told me FR is not covering anything when I spoke to him the other day, evidently Bob is not saying that just yet. So it is still up in the air if either of these two companies will step up to cover this repair.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #132

This whole topic just scares me to death. We just bought a 2012 v-lite last August. Looking at my frame it's a nearly nothing of an I-beam. Wished I had spent more money on a higher end unit that had higher ratings. Keeping a close eye on this thread.
dilgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #133

"Forest River is saying this is Lippert's issue since they manufacture the frames."
==============================================
Lippert isn't selling us campers, Forest River is. If the frames are failing, maybe FR should tell Lippert to beef them up? I think I could afford to pay an extra $50 for a frame that did not break.
Trying to pass the buck doesn't wash in my books.

But, 295WP, I am glad that Bob is paying attention.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"Forest River is saying this is Lippert's issue since they manufacture the frames."
==============================================
Lippert isn't selling us campers, Forest River is. If the frames are failing, maybe FR should tell Lippert to beef them up? I think I could afford to pay an extra $50 for a frame that did not break.
Trying to pass the buck doesn't wash in my books.

But, 295WP, I am glad that Bob is paying attention.
I agree with you 100%. It should not be up to the consumer to go after Lippert. FR chose to use Lippert frames and I chose to purchase a FR 5th wheel. The end result is regardless of what frame is used the product is sold by FR as a FR product. We shall see how this plays out.....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Just lodged a complain with NHTSA today and also send an e-mail to WA. state department of transporation with pictures. Hope this will catch some attension.
Time to get a good lawyer.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #136

It's still amazing what RV manufacturers get away with. I think they need to forced to deal with ANYTHING having to do with the RV's they sell, just like auto manufacturers do.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #137

I'm thinking FR will have to be sued and they in turn will go after Lippert. Just guessing.
dilgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #138

There was another post, and someone ask if there other camper manufactures that did not use Lippert frames, I do know of one and that is Jayco.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #139

Hi All,

I just bought a 2007 Cherokee Wolfpack WP32 Toy hauler. I have given a quick look at the frame and see no damage. I have read some of this thread and it seems this is mostly if not all a fifth wheel issue. Is this correct or should I take precautions with my "pin pull" trailer? How do I know if I have a Lippert Frame?

I tow my VW sand rail inside that weighs probably 1200# or so.

This is my first RV so obviously concerned after reading all this...

Thanks
41railbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #140

fame damage

Does my 2008 326wp fall into the bad frame category?
banchee is offline   Reply With Quote