Go Back   Forest River Forums > Toy Haulers > General Toy Hauler Topics > Cherokee

Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #1

Mods cont - Anchor points, coffee maker, and why does my air conditioner rattle?

I've been diligently working on my 17RR, 2012 model - as 17RR owners know, the tie down points have no relationship to any vehicle you'd need to anchor in it. After examination it would appear that FR simply installed the 4 existing anchor points where it was convenient for them (between water tanks etc), not in a thoughtful manner (ie: four corners etc)... I struggled with wanting to drop the water tanks to install the anchor points, but determined that with some effort and patience it is possible to get the Toy Hauler correctly set up.

The floor is a single sheet of plywood, sitting on a 2x4 on top of the steel frame so there is room (but not much) for you to get your hand between the floor and the frame for install purposes. Also you need to be cautious of plumbing etc under the floor, so I recommend you cut the membrane below the camper for each anchor point first, and take your time to make sure you are safe to cut.

To tie down 1, 2 to 3 motorcycles, or a single quad, you'll need 7 points - the four corners, and three up the middle. Due to a few structural limitations My points in the middle didn't line up perfectly, but close enough to act as secure anchor points when the job was done.

I chose the Brophy RR5K kit, which is a recessed anchor rated for 5000lbs, and comes complete with anchor, steel backing plate and bolts, nuts, washers. What it does not come with is a template to cuts the odd shaped hole so I made one out of cardboard.

You need a hole saw, and a jigsaw, as well as a roll of repair tape for the membrane under your camper (flexmend) and heat gun to install it. Also a knife and wrenches, sockets etc to tighten bolts. Also found that shorter bolts were needed for a few of the anchors, as well as using Loctite in place of lock washers in certain tight spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	12571   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	12572   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	12573   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	12574   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	12575  

Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Next I installed a Black and Decker spacemaker coffee maker. This requires that you remove the stereo (pull the two side strip pieces off exposing the screws that hold it in) You will also need to modify the valence by removing one end of it as the coffee maker will literally only fit in one spot in the trailer. Because of the shallow depth of the cabinet you need to trim off the spacers on the back of the coffee maker to allow it to go flat against the wall. I installed a power strip inside the cabinet and plugged the air conditioner and the coffee maker into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	12577   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	12578  

Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

Ever wonder why your brand new forest river product's air conditioner rattles and blows dust into your brand new unit? Look at what was revealed when I removed the panel that separates the ac from the cabinet.

Yet another example (this time rather pathetic imho) of the poor finishing work by this company. As I have pointed out in previous posts, it is nothing more than utter laziness on the part of this manufacturer, its employees and their managers. To be so lazy that you cant even vacuum after yourself when you install something is pretty shocking. You wouldn't leave your house in this condition, let alone something you'd sell to someone. This company could do so much more if they simply paid attention - and not even attention to details - because vacuuming up a cup of sawdust hardly qualifies as a detail... Just a basic level of attention. Shame on whoever managed the assembly of my unit for letting stuff like this pass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	12576  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #4

Not a coffee drinker, but that space saver install is pretty cool.

And I had to pull the microwave out once to get at something and also noticed all the sawdust and other crap back there. Agree, they don't pay much attention to the details.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

Nice write up. Thanks for the heads up on flex mend. I'm looking to add more d-rings to my 21rr. Is there insulation under the floor and how far apart are the floor joists? I'd really like to add recessed flip up chocks too.

Mike
Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Ever wonder why your brand new forest river product's air conditioner rattles and blows dust into your brand new unit? Look at what was revealed when I removed the panel that separates the ac from the cabinet.

Yet another example (this time rather pathetic imho) of the poor finishing work by this company. As I have pointed out in previous posts, it is nothing more than utter laziness on the part of this manufacturer, its employees and their managers. To be so lazy that you cant even vacuum after yourself when you install something is pretty shocking. You wouldn't leave your house in this condition, let alone something you'd sell to someone. This company could do so much more if they simply paid attention - and not even attention to details - because vacuuming up a cup of sawdust hardly qualifies as a detail... Just a basic level of attention. Shame on whoever managed the assembly of my unit for letting stuff like this pass.
I hear ya, on my shake down trip I found three water connections loose and leaking, found a couple of those product sheets that comes with anything you buy just thrown behind a panel, and just like you plenty of saw dust everywhere. We must have gotten the Friday at almost five o'clock builds.
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack63 View Post
Nice write up. Thanks for the heads up on flex mend. I'm looking to add more d-rings to my 21rr. Is there insulation under the floor and how far apart are the floor joists? I'd really like to add recessed flip up chocks too.

Mike

Didn't determine a spacing... During the install of 7 points I could only feel one 2x4 joist. There is plenty of room for you to dig around with your hand, and there are places where you run into plumbing.

There is insulation in the floor. Fiberglass.. Just shove it out of the way. I was planning on using these as the chocks so no major work required for them to install.

Plastic Motorcycle Wheel Chocks by BLACK+GRAY
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

Thanks, I like those wheel chocks too. Did you happen to notice how the factory installed d-rings were mounted? Is there backing plates or are they just screwed into the wood floor?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Didn't touch the stock ones, however seeing the Brophy next to the stock ones you would never trust the stocker

Tags
air conditioner