Old 11-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #31

I've got a suzuki Boulevard. So would I strap it at the handle bars? Compress suspension at all? Just around rear rim at back to keep from bouncing?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #32

Handle bars should work, don't think the Suzuki as a faring to get in the way. I would use a small strap to wrap around, or you can purchase a the down with a built in strap. Need some fork compression just don't over do it. I made my last trip without the back secured and had no issue with movement, my plan is not to the down the back from now on.

Cuzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #33

Thank you. Any help is appreciated since this is my first at any of this. Sometimes the more you research things the more confusing it all gets
Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #34

I would tie down the back. The back did move around on my old one (VTX1300) when the back tie down came loose.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #35
Usually Confused Member

As Cuzdog said, you will probably be able to use the handlebars to attach the forward tie down straps. The type of chock you get will have a lot of bearing on how much pressure is on the straps. I use the Titan brand chock. A little on the pricey side but has a cam-operated cradle that locks the front wheel in place and holds the bike pretty firmly in the upright position. There are other brands available that do the same thing. Because the bike is held upright by the chock it requires little pressure on the straps. With very minor fork compression the bike won't move at all.

Since there is minimal pressure on the straps hooks, it's best to use something like the Load-All straps which have a safety hook integrated to prevent the hook from detaching in the event the compressed load is released (i.e., a panic stop or accident which could allow the forks to compress, which in turn could allow the strap "s-hook" to come loose (don't ask me how I know that but I promise you it can happen).

Since I need minor fork compression I have the forward straps attached to the floor rings well forward of the front axle. Then, by having two additional straps extending from the luggage rack brackets to the aft-most floor rings, the forward and aft straps are pulling against each other, which works well for rapid deceleration and acceleration (although I'm sure rapid forward acceleration is not very common while pulling the trailer).

Rear straps become less important as the trailer weight is increased. If you're moving your bike on a landscape trailer I guarantee you the back end will move left or right until it hits the edge of the trailer. As the trailer gets heavier there is less "bouncing" so rear tiedowns become less important. It will never hurt to have a couple of straps in place to keep the rear wheel from bouncing.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #36
Retired Techie

Wheel chock secured to floor. 2 soft ties around forks or handle bars and connected to front tie downs with straps. 2 more straps on rear to keep rear from dancing and hold bike back in emergency stop. Don't compress forks to much, seals are expensive. I mounted a medium duty tie down in the center to hook the chock to. That is more to hold it in place while loading Traveling the straps do the work.
1998 Honda Valkerie
2016 Camping 148 days so far
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #37
Usually Confused Member

Finally figured out how to insert a picture without it turning sideways. Here's the view of the Harley secured in the Titan chock.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Finally figured out how to insert a picture without it turning sideways. Here's the view of the Harley secured in the Titan chock.

What was the trick to get it to display in the desired direction?

Back when I was reading your post on page 1 I went ahead and rotate your earlier picture before reading the remaining posts otherwise I would had known the problem was solved. In my case I saved it to the computer and rotate it before posting it.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #39

Emmdee did you secure chock to floor?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 AM   #40

And do you have that as far back as possible to reduce tongue weight?