Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 AM   #1

New Guy looking at Grey Wolf

I am in the market for my first camping trailer. I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and looked at a Grey Wolf 22RR. Looking at a toy hauler that I could haul a golf cart in. Don't have a cart yet, so I was curious to know if a cart would fit into this size trailer. I know it will height wise, but am unsure on how long a cart with back seat is, and don't have any measurements on garage space in this model camper.
Trying to stay as light and affordable as possible. Will be towing with a 2017 Ram 1500 with a tow rating of 8400#. Camper would be for me, wife and son to travel to sporting clay, skeet and trap shooting events for my son.
Would love a bigger trailer and truck so I could use my Polaris Ranger Crew, but need to save money for shotgun shells.
Thanks for any input. JC
RollTideRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

My opinion is if you would like a bigger truck and trailer and haul your Polaris then do it now! The price of a bigger camper is not much different than the 22rr your looking at.

In 2015 I got the 26rr and had a 2002 f150, after having trailer for a year i upgraded my truck to a 2011 Ram 2500 because I was out of payload room. The salesmen will tell you that they are 1/2 ton towable but dependent on what your specs are for your 1500 ram you will run out of payload. TOy Haulers have a heavier tongue weight by design. With three people and gear in truck plus your WDH you may find your over payload.

Run the numbers. Find out your payload capacity of your ram off your door and start subtracting, bodies , wdh 100lbs, anything your going to carry in the truck, then 15% of GVWR of the TOy Hauler witch if they have not changed is 7774x.15=1166lbs.

Some have done it and been fine, I did it also but I have upgraded my truck from F150 to Ram 2500 because of payload, and now I am upgrading my grey Wolf 26rr to a Puma 27qbc, because we found out once my bike is in there the front tire comes up in front of sink and there is not much room left if your wanting to pull over and have lunch in the camper.

I was on a budget also back when I bought my Grey Wolf. 3 years latter I have outgrown.

Big depreciation on new models as soon as you drive off lot.

If your set on Grey Wolf and don’t mind driving out of state for lots of savings, check out Suburban RV Center in Mansfield Ohio. I saved over $5,000 on the Grey Wolf.

My new Puma I’m going to RV Wholesalers in Ohio. 9 hour drive. I’m saving $11,000 by driving there. Gave locals opportunity to give me good deal but they would not touch it.

I just wish I had gone bigger three years ago. At least I got great price on new one and able to pay off old one with trade value they gave me so it worked ok for me but some take a bath on first one due to owing more than trade value.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Forest river website had lengths of garages in the Cherokee line. Link below. The 22 rr is 7ft to nearest counter

http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=1908#Main

Click on floor plan options and scroll down.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

What ever size you think you need, add 4 ft. to it now. Most every body that has purchased toyhaulers have all with in a couple years wished they had 4 ft. more trailer.
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

While camping in TN, we met a couple from NY. When they found out we were from OH, they said they had searched the nation for the best price in their Grey Wolf and found it to be at Suburban RV in Mansfield, OH. I had never heard of it. Upon returning home from the TN trip, I drove an hour north and left with a 2018 27RR. Small dealer, truly a mom & pop. Other dealers could not touch the price and no crazy extra charges.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal5er View Post
While camping in TN, we met a couple from NY. When they found out we were from OH, they said they had searched the nation for the best price in their Grey Wolf and found it to be at Suburban RV in Mansfield, OH. I had never heard of it. Upon returning home from the TN trip, I drove an hour north and left with a 2018 27RR. Small dealer, truly a mom & pop. Other dealers could not touch the price and no crazy extra charges.

And Tom and his wife are great people.

Here is a 2018 link
https://www.rvt.com/dealerframe/subu...php?id=7759760

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

I went from a 26rr and a two door ram 1500 to a 27rr chevy 2500 4 door in a year and a half. I agree with other post. Go bigger in the start and shop the deals to save $1000's
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRam View Post
I am in the market for my first camping trailer. I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and looked at a Grey Wolf 22RR. Looking at a toy hauler that I could haul a golf cart in. Don't have a cart yet, so I was curious to know if a cart would fit into this size trailer. I know it will height wise, but am unsure on how long a cart with back seat is, and don't have any measurements on garage space in this model camper.
Trying to stay as light and affordable as possible. Will be towing with a 2017 Ram 1500 with a tow rating of 8400#. Camper would be for me, wife and son to travel to sporting clay, skeet and trap shooting events for my son.
Would love a bigger trailer and truck so I could use my Polaris Ranger Crew, but need to save money for shotgun shells.
Thanks for any input. JC
PASSING ON A CALCULATION:This should work on any toy.
How To Determine Proper Motorcycle Loading Ramp Length

The following are the steps required to determine the proper length of a motorcycle loading ramp.
  1. Measure:
    • The rise of the loading surface
    • The motorcycle wheelbase*
    • The motorcycle's ground clearance**
  2. Use our motorcycle ramp calculator to determine the length of ramp
  3. Search our wide selection of discounted motorcycle loading ramps to find one that suits your needs! Our selection includes the best and most affordable full width motorcycle ramps, single runner motorcycle ramps, motocross & dirt bike ramps, trailer motorcycle ramps, and powered motorcycle ramps!
How to use our Motorcycle Ramp Calculator:

*Wheelbase is determined by measuring from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel
**Ground Clearance is determined by measuring the lowest point of the motorcycle halfway between the front and rear wheels (normally under the engine)

Click here to return to the Knowledge Base
PEACEKEEPER GREY WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above, the payload is going to be your biggest limiting factor in the 1/2 ton. The 2017's are better, but in my 2010 Ram 1500 my payload is the exact same as my wife's Minivan, only 1150 lbs.

At ~900 lbs Tongue weight, and 240lbs of me, and 90 lbs of hitch, I'm overweight just hooking up. Add wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, stuff in the bed, etc... all adds up. And that's with a well balanced TT. Toy haulers, as mentioned above, tend to be tongue heavy. Like you, my towing capacity was 8300 lbs, so I thought I was safe buying a 5500 lb dry weight TT. Unfortunately we had already bought the TT before I joined this site and learned all about the various weights in play.

You should use the placards on your Ram's driver door jamb to get your exact payload, and you can use the Ram Body Builder site to cross-validate all your other ratings:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-commer...ers-guide.html

With those, you can then use sites like these to calculate what the specs say you can tow:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

(I personally prefer the first one, as he takes the time to explain what each number means.)

Now, you're probably going to be disappointed by what these numbers say, but remember these are what the 'specs' say. It's not like your frame is going to rip in half by going 1 lb over the limit, it's more of a general guideline to indicate what it was designed for, not an absolute. I'm an example of this fact, otherwise I would never have been able to get my TT out of my driveway.

However, it is important to be aware about where your weights land in relation to your specs. This helps you be more conscious of your driving, of your speed, of others around you, of potential liability situations that you want to make sure you avoid, etc....
Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I started out with a 21RR and three years later upgraded big time. Loved the 21RR and it was a great starter but eventually you get tired of tripping over people/stuff.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies. Took my son and several other kids shooting over the weekend so have not been back in here
They made me a good offer on the 25rr. It's a used 2017 with some extras. 18k out the door with a hitch and brake controller for my truck. My wife and son really like it, but I am starting to think we would need a little more room. The 26rr does have the chairs and is only slightly heavier. On a cool morning with light rain like today it would be nice to have a place to sit.
Another question, what size ac comes in these units? I have a honda 3000 inverter generator. Don't know if it would run a 13500 ac unit but pretty sure it will not run a 15000
I did see a Coachman Catalina trail blazer that looks a lot like the grey wolf. Are they close? It is new and $21800. Will have to let the dealer know something today on the grey wolf
Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Took my son and several other kids shooting over the weekend so have not been back in here
They made me a good offer on the 25rr. It's a used 2017 with some extras. 18k out the door with a hitch and brake controller for my truck. My wife and son really like it, but I am starting to think we would need a little more room. The 26rr does have the chairs and is only slightly heavier. On a cool morning with light rain like today it would be nice to have a place to sit.
Another question, what size ac comes in these units? I have a honda 3000 inverter generator. Don't know if it would run a 13500 ac unit but pretty sure it will not run a 15000
I did see a Coachman Catalina trail blazer that looks a lot like the grey wolf. Are they close? It is new and $21800. Will have to let the dealer know something today on the grey wolf
Coachmen are built by Forest River too, most likely they are very similar.
Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyster View Post
What ever size you think you need, add 4 ft. to it now. Most every body that has purchased toyhaulers have all with in a couple years wished they had 4 ft. more trailer.
That may be true for some people but I wish we had gotten a fifth wheel. I just don't like pulling a bumper pull trailer. Had a 5er for 21 years and never had a bad trip with it.

We have had our Shockwave seventeen months and not a white knuckle pull but just not as comfortable of a ride. We have towed it over 11K miles so it's not a lack of experience with it.

What we haul in the PU bed can still fit with the fifth wheel hitch so that isn't a factor, just that they wanted another $10K for a comparable 5er.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
We run our a/c with a 3000 W Honda inverter, plus the microwave, never had a problem with it. Sometimes we take it now if we are going to run the a/c a lot in the summer because it is quieter than the onan 4K built into the trailer. I really don't know which size our a/c is but it doesn't make the gen work hard when we run both the a/c and m/w.

Good luck on your choice.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:

The coachman and the grey wolf of that particular model is almost identical. I’d go with 26rr over 25. Then you would have walk around queen.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #16

My 26rr came with a 13.5k AC. They do have a thing that you can put on your ac unit that slowly ramps up your AC that would allow it to run off a 3000 generator. It’s called an easystart.

I put a hard start capacitor on mine to run it with my duel fuel champion 3400/3100

Old 03-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #17

Will definitely look at the options you gave me on using my generator. Definitely don't want to start looking for a new generator.
Right now dealer does not have a 26rr in stock. He is hoping to get one in about 3 weeks. He is working hard to sell me something, Trying now to get me in a Forest River XLR Boost 27 QB. Listed at 23k but said he would see what else he could do. I think that might be too heavy. The other dealer gave me a price of 20,770 for the Catalina Trail Blazer 26, but he only has one and It will be the end of the week before I could look at it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Will definitely look at the options you gave me on using my generator. Definitely don't want to start looking for a new generator.
Right now dealer does not have a 26rr in stock. He is hoping to get one in about 3 weeks. He is working hard to sell me something, Trying now to get me in a Forest River XLR Boost 27 QB. Listed at 23k but said he would see what else he could do. I think that might be too heavy. The other dealer gave me a price of 20,770 for the Catalina Trail Blazer 26, but he only has one and It will be the end of the week before I could look at it.

$17000,and $18000 our the door price would be good prices for the two you are looking for. The XLR will be too heavy, unless your upgrade your truck. You would really need to look at door tags and do your numbers.

Don’t settle, and get what you want, unless you need something right away hold fast.

If you can wait a couple months you can order one and choose colors and options you want.

That’s what we did with our 27qbc. We ordered it with what we wanted and deleted what we did not. We got the interior color choice and material, cloth not vinyl, I got it with a single happyjack bed, 4000 watt, generator, outdoor tv hook up, bedroom tv hookup, black water tank flush, cargo door screen, night shades, recliners, roof ladder, and fuel station. Got it for under $25,000.00. Going to Ohio to pick up. Tongue weight is only 876 which is just slightly more than my 26rr. Dry weight with generator will probably come in around 6700lbs. My Grey Wolf dry is about 5040lbs.

We drive to Ohio to get it but that’s ok because we are saving thousands off local dealers quotes.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #19

Does any one have a picture of loading a large bike into a 27rr
wspracklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspracklin View Post
Does any one have a picture of loading a large bike into a 27rr

I have pic of one loaded in 26rr.