Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

New unit,never used,going back to the factory for repairs

We purchased a Cherokee/Vengeance 320A toy hauler in September, had the dealer add a generator, didn't take delivery until late November because of issues with exterior damages and dealer damages that were done installing the gen. Picked it up, pulled it home, began the process of familiarizing ourselves with it and moving in and getting ready for our first trip. The more we looked, the worse it got. Water leaks and damage, slide damaged the flooring after being moved maybe half a dozen times, fit and finish is terrible. Counter tops have to be replaced, the list goes on and on. We have contacted Forest River directly and delivered the unit back to the dealer. Now the dealer says it needs to go back to the factory. I believe we have a LEMON. Now waiting to be contacted about what's going to happen next.
Any opinions or advise? Similar experiences?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

yes , it will go back to the factory, the question is will they pick it up or will they tell you to deliver it. In my case they picked it up and others have had the same experience, however some had to take them back themselves. As far as lemon, do not know if that applies to towables, in either case to lemon it would require you to continue to make payments while it goes through the process and lose of use of it. If its paid for than you just lose the use of it. in either cast good luck, sometimes the factory comes thru and sometimes its more damage than it left with.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

That's what we're afraid of. Some of the repairs are major, it will have to be gutted for the most part. I'm sure it will turn into a six month ordeal or more.
We're probably going to get ugly. I have already expressed to the dealer and manufacturer that I want a quick resolution. We'll see.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Hauler View Post
That's what we're afraid of. Some of the repairs are major, it will have to be gutted for the most part. I'm sure it will turn into a six month ordeal or more.
We're probably going to get ugly. I have already expressed to the dealer and manufacturer that I want a quick resolution. We'll see.
if they take it back, just give them a dead line, in my case it was a prepaid vacation, believe me they built it in less than a week , they can rebuild it just as fast.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

We had so many issues before taking delivery that they offered to give us a different unit. We now regret not taking that deal. I believe we are going to pursue going back to that deal. I'm just not willing to wait for them to get it right the second time. I walked through another 320 at the dealer Saturday and it had none of the cosmetic issues. I told FR that mine looked like a trial run and the other, the finished product. It has been so frustrating and after seeing that, I was even more irritated. The rep at FR said that they want to make us "happy campers". They'll have to prove that.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

well good luck, faced with a total rebuild of my RV or replacement FR choose to rebuild it. It was good when returned but other issues came up due to the rebuild. it was eventually easier for us to trade it, but than the new one was at the dealership for repairs 6 out of the first 9 months for repairs.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #7

How can they get away with conducting business this way? I'm in the automotive collision repair business and have never seen anything like it. I raised enough cane with the first issues and time delays on taking delivery that the dealer reimbursed me for my first two payments and threw in several things for the trouble. They have tried to make it right. Now the battle turns to dealing with FR. I sent an email yesterday, putting some heat on the representative, just waiting for a response. I'm hoping they will work with me, if not I'm already prepared to involve outside parties, you know, the BBB and such. I hope it won't come to that.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #8

in my "conversations" with FR it always seems emails get put off, phone calls usually get a faster response. Also remember that the condition of your RV might not be the condition it left FR, the haulers are not that careful and the dealers do not do a really good inspection when delivered. anyway, good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #9

Well, here it is. The unit will be picked up from the dealer, taken to the factory and repaired (rebuilt) there. They are saying a two to three week turn around (I'll believe it when I see it!), not including the week it will take to get it there. Naturally, I have no chance of legal action until I give them a chance to do corrective repairs. This is not acceptable to me but I have no other options. The dealer is working some numbers to see how big of a loss I have to take to ditch this unit. This was our first new unit, so I'm wondering, does every new buyer have to go through this type of headache? Are they all of such poor quality?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #10

in a word, yes!. I have bought 5 new Rvs in the past 5 years, 1st was an Airstream, no problems, no. 2 thru 5 FR products, collectively they spent most of their 1st year getting repaired and prepped for the next owner as i traded them after they were finished.