Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Next mod complete... New mattresses...

Went to the local upholsterer and had the two mattresses (if you can even consider calling the stock ones mattresses) for my 17rr tuned up. Had high density 3" foam units made, then had them attach the old stock ones to the tops as a mattress topper, and then had custom cotton covers made to turn them into a single unit.

Total cost $454. Now you can sleep in the 17rr. Forest River pathetic excuse for mattress dealt with. They should be ashamed to sell a 2012 unit with such a p.o.s. mattress.

More mods coming.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

When we bought our 19rr we laid on the matress and just gave each other "the look". Got it home, opened the back gate and out it went. Its leanin up against the wall in the MIL's garage if anyone is interested. Cheap too!

We went to Target and picked up one of the deluxe inflatables with some kind of memory foam - so when you roll over you don't bounce your bed-mate off the bed, and its great. Got the internal, automatic pump with a remote too. ($200 or so) Its almost twice as high as the stock but not high enough to make it crowded for headroom in the bunk area. Night and day difference. It hangs over the end a little more so we have to scoot it up from time to time. Put some of that rubber cabinet webbing under it and it helped greatly with the scooch factor. Deflate and fold up after the season (or weekend) and its down the road you go!

One of the best mods we've done frankly. And you don't wake up all grumpy b/c you slept horribly too! Always a good thing when yer in a 10x20 box for the weekend!

Sportster
...money damn well spent i say
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

We specifically did not want an air matress which is why we had this custom made. Our days of sleeping on air mattresses are long gone.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

I brought a mattress-in-a-box from Walmart for about $220 and gave my sister the RV mattress to use as a puppy pad for her large dog.

I always sleep well in the RV.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

I just got an Innerspace foam mattress for my camper. The front bed on the 19wp is 48"x75" so there aren't many choices. Paid $170 which included shipping. Haven't used it yet so will have to report back. Looks like a pretty good improvement over that crappy, stuffed potato sack they ship with the unit. It takes 48 hours to expand after shipping so we'll see how thick it is in a few days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd87sportster View Post
When we bought our 19rr we laid on the matress and just gave each other "the look". Got it home, opened the back gate and out it went. Its leanin up against the wall in the MIL's garage if anyone is interested. Cheap too!

We went to Target and picked up one of the deluxe inflatables with some kind of memory foam - so when you roll over you don't bounce your bed-mate off the bed, and its great. Got the internal, automatic pump with a remote too. ($200 or so) Its almost twice as high as the stock but not high enough to make it crowded for headroom in the bunk area. Night and day difference. It hangs over the end a little more so we have to scoot it up from time to time. Put some of that rubber cabinet webbing under it and it helped greatly with the scooch factor. Deflate and fold up after the season (or weekend) and its down the road you go!

One of the best mods we've done frankly. And you don't wake up all grumpy b/c you slept horribly too! Always a good thing when yer in a 10x20 box for the weekend!

Sportster
...money damn well spent i say
Was yours the Sunbeam heated matress? That's what my 19rr has and it seems pretty comfortable.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Sunbeam heated? Oh lord no. It was the standard issue, 6" special. I think the hobos down by the railroad tracks do better than this.

We got spoiled with our pillowtop mattress at home so we did the upgrade. Wish I could remember the brand but it was purchased at Target for roughly $200-$225 or so. Its an air bed but its got baffles and such in it so it sleeps like our pillowtop at home.

Sportster
...right comfy it is
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote